DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for a bit of guidance with FAA laws

Just download AirMap and look it on there or you are welcome to share the places here and we can tell you

Looking at AirMap, it shows I am allowed to fly at this state park(I am in the process of getting approval from park manager), but on Kittyhawk it shows I am not allowed.

Also, I have the Mavic Mini 2, do you have a preference to record in 16:9 or 4:3?

IMG_7314.JPG
IMG_7310.JPG
IMG_7312.JPG
IMG_7313.JPG

Looking at AirMap, it shows I am allowed to fly at this state park(I am in the process of getting approval from park manager), but on Kittyhawk it shows I am not allowed.

Also, I have the Mavic Mini 2, do you have a preference to record in 16:9 or 4:3?

View attachment 127446
View attachment 127447
View attachment 127448
View attachment 127449
See where the red squiggles I have made are? You’d need to go to FAA’s DroneZone website and apply for an airspace authorization to fly in this area. You cannot request a height higher than the height indicated in the boxes

The green squiggles you can fly there.

The white lines indicate you can fly over but can’t take off from there.

Videos in 16:9 photos in 4:3
A428FCFF-AFC1-4902-83E9-CFE97DADCC8F.jpeg

Reactions: eBirder
Kittyhawk is telling you about a Specisl Use Airspace Alert. It’s not saying you can’t fly there.

It’s saying that it is a high air traffic area used for training and there may be a high volume of unusual flight activity so stay alert

Kittyhawk is telling you about a Specisl Use Airspace Alert. It’s not saying you can’t fly there.

It’s saying that it is a high air traffic area used for training and there may be a high volume of unusual flight activity so stay alert

Wow, that helps a lot! So in this photo the yellow indicates no taking off or landing, the red indicates no flying unless dronezone verified(do I have to have to be part 107 certified to do this?), and the blue means I can fly?

IMG_7315.JPG

Wow, that helps a lot! So in this photo the yellow indicates no taking off or landing, the red indicates no flying unless dronezone verified
Yes
(do I have to have to be part 107 certified to do this?),
You can authorization as a recreational pilot. Your restriction as a recreational pilot is you cannot request authorization for higher than the altitudes indicated in the boxes. If you were part 107 you could ask for authorization for heights higher than what is indicated in the boxes.
and the blue means I can fly?
Yes

Yes

You can authorization as a recreational pilot. Your restriction as a recreational pilot is you cannot request authorization for higher than the altitudes indicated in the boxes. If you were part 107 you could ask for authorization for heights higher than what is indicated in the boxes.

Yes

So I need to register my drone in order to get authorization as a recreational pilot?

Be aware that
So I need to register my drone in order to get authorization as a recreational pilot?
No you don’t need to register the drone but you’ll need to make an account on FAA Drone Zone. The application does not ask for a registration # as far as I can tell.

It’s not a bad idea to register the drone anyway though. It’s $5 and can save you some headache.

Be aware that

No you don’t need to register the drone but you’ll need to make an account on FAA Drone Zone. The application does not ask for a registration # as far as I can tell.

It’s not a bad idea to register the drone anyway though. It’s $5 and can save you some headache.

I really appreciate all the help! Should I put the operation name as something specific or would “Area Viewing” be good?

I really appreciate all the help! Should I put the operation name as something specific or would “Area Viewing” be good?
It doesn’t matter as long as you know what it is. If it were me I’d put a date in there so if you need to get authorization in the future you can look back and know which authorizations are for what days but it doesn’t matter as far as the FAA is concerned.

It doesn’t matter as long as you know what it is. If it were me I’d put a date in there so if you need to get authorization in the future you can look back and know which authorizations are for what days but it doesn’t matter as far as the FAA is concerned.

If I were to request it starting tomorrow, how far out date wise should I put it if I would like to fly it a bit around every now and then? Or should I do separate requests?

Last edited:
If I were to request it starting tomorrow, how far out date wise should I put it if I would like to fly it a bit around every now and then? Or should I do separate requests?
If it were me I would just request max available.

Normally they are pretty quick to approve but having it approved by tomorrow may not happen. With this being a Military Air Station I don’t know if it has to be approved by the military too or what. Could possibly take more time than usual IDK.

If it were me I would just request max available.

Normally they are pretty quick to approve but having it approved by tomorrow may not happen. With this being a Military Air Station I don’t know if it has to be approved by the military too or what. Could possibly take more time than usual IDK.

Thanks for the help! Just got back from my first outing with it, and definitely enjoy flying it!

Reactions: RMS001
Thank you! I am reading through everything about my city on the forums now to see if I can find anything about the places I am thinking of.
Download KittyHawk, UAV Forecast, Airmap, etc to show you zones if they are there. Some don't require special permission and some do. Yet, few if any tell you restrictions by cities or states on NO FLY ZONES - so Google that before flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure