DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for a bit of guidance with FAA laws

Kittyhawk is telling you about a Specisl Use Airspace Alert. It’s not saying you can’t fly there.

It’s saying that it is a high air traffic area used for training and there may be a high volume of unusual flight activity so stay alert
If Pensacola - you have Pensacola Naval Air Station and a lot of military yet traffic in the area, not to mention commercial stuff flying in and out of Pensacola airport.

Be aware that

No you don’t need to register the drone but you’ll need to make an account on FAA Drone Zone. The application does not ask for a registration # as far as I can tell.

It’s not a bad idea to register the drone anyway though. It’s $5 and can save you some headache.
If you set up your account with DJI and are logged in - it will also tell you Restricted Zones when trying to take off and such. You're not registering with FAA, like we do on bigger drones - yet the FlyApp does have some capabilities on Restricted / NO FLY Zones as well. Best to use another app to see where you want to fly and get permission if required before going there and the software won't let the drone take off.

I have also unlocked from the field if I was using my cell phone and had service connection when it asked. Does not happen everywhere, esp if you are really close to a military base and flight zone.

Reactions: eBirder
If you set up your account with DJI and are logged in - it will also tell you Restricted Zones when trying to take off and such. You're not registering with FAA, like we do on bigger drones - yet the FlyApp does have some capabilities on Restricted / NO FLY Zones as well. Best to use another app to see where you want to fly and get permission if required before going there and the software won't let the drone take off.

I have also unlocked from the field if I was using my cell phone and had service connection when it asked. Does not happen everywhere, esp if you are really close to a military base and flight zone.
You seem to be talking about the DJI GeoZones which doesn’t have anything to do with the FAA or flying legally.

The GeoZone for this airport is pretty far from where the OP is talking about and it’s a standard unlock from DJI, can be done in the app. There is an enhanced warning zone under the flight path from the airport but it’s just an altitude restriction of 150 and 60m 31A8FBFB-E4A6-422E-8006-A10EF63723EE.jpeg

Thank you! I am reading through everything about my city on the forums now to see if I can find anything about the places I am thinking of.
Yes, do look at AirMap. First of all, you do not metion your city, but in particular you will need to stay away from Eglin AFB and Pensacola NAS. You can fly near some airports with permission. You can get that from Kittyhawk. I suggest using B4UFLY before you start each flight. Then go to Kittyhawk to get permissions if available.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman