DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loss of signal

Adaaam75

Reactions
Hi guys,

I am aware of OCUSYNC and GPS mode, but when I see that my Mavic Pro can go over 4km in distance without losing signal it confuses me. I did have GPS mode activated and a decent enough GPS signal, but why did my phone connected to my controller lose signal at approx 500 meters and therefore cut the drone until I)

Setting precise takeoff and updated home point but just lost for words.

Adam Delmage

Reactions: SpitFire
Hi... maybe in Beginner mode? Maybe flight limits where you are living? Europe?

Heya Adam.
Did the MP do what it was supposed to do with loss of signal ?
Ie, RTH, hover, etc.
And did you get signal back if it was returning to home (RTH) ?

I assume you meant loss of signal form controller to the MP, as in you weren't able to control it, and it began RTH as above ?
Sometimes people confuse loss of signal between the controller and viewing device (if using one, which most people do), and this is different.
You can still control the aircraft, just not see the usual camera view on the device screen.

The biggest factor in loss of signal between the controller and aircraft is poor LOS (line of sight).
LOS isn't seeing the drone (as in VLOS), but a direct line between the drone and controller.
This can be caused by numerous things, like trees, hills, buildings in between.

Basically, keep as open LOS as possible when flying, operating from high ground is a great way to get long distance.
If you are on the ground, and flying above trees and away, you will lose signal strength the further you go out, and the lower you stay.
Going high will maintain better signal (check the strength next time you fly in that situation), nad this also applies to flying over hills and buildings.

Others things that may help.
Ensure your controller antenna are placed in the recommended position, and pointed towards the general location of the drone.
Don't fly where there is strong wifi (like within 10m of my sons Tesla).

Hey mate,

So sorry for not acknowledging your helpful reply sooner, I've just realised how to turn in notifications and posted my issue on numerous forums forgetting to check back!

Anyway, I did mean the signal display to my phone and not the RC signal to the MP so you were right. The MP initiated the RTH after hovering as set up so that was encouraging. I'm guessing it's a mix between the altitude, obstructions and signal. Will try again at higher altitudes without obvious obstructions and see if it improves.

On another note, I'm waiting a reply from DJI as my fan has stopped working and the MP overheats when stationary, I'm too worried to fly it as a result incase it overheats and shuts down at 100 feet! I'm predicting a painful service bill [emoji17]

Anyway, thank you for your reply it was gratefully received [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Heya Adam.
Did the MP do what it was supposed to do with loss of signal ?
Ie, RTH, hover, etc.
And did you get signal back if it was returning to home (RTH) ?

I assume you meant loss of signal form controller to the MP, as in you weren't able to control it, and it began RTH as above ?
Sometimes people confuse loss of signal between the controller and viewing device (if using one, which most people do), and this is different.
You can still control the aircraft, just not see the usual camera view on the device screen.

The biggest factor in loss of signal between the controller and aircraft is poor LOS (line of sight).
LOS isn't seeing the drone (as in VLOS), but a direct line between the drone and controller.
This can be caused by numerous things, like trees, hills, buildings in between.

Basically, keep as open LOS as possible when flying, operating from high ground is a great way to get long distance.
If you are on the ground, and flying above trees and away, you will lose signal strength the further you go out, and the lower you stay.
Going high will maintain better signal (check the strength next time you fly in that situation), nad this also applies to flying over hills and buildings.

Others things that may help.
Ensure your controller antenna are placed in the recommended position, and pointed towards the general location of the drone.
Don't fly where there is strong wifi (like within 10m of my sons Tesla).

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Anyway, I did mean the signal display to my phone and not the RC signal to the MP so you were right. The MP initiated the RTH after hovering as set up so that was encouraging. I'm guessing it's a mix between the altitude, obstructions and signal. Will try again at higher altitudes without obvious obstructions and see if it improves.

On another note, I'm waiting a reply from DJI as my fan has stopped working and the MP overheats when stationary, I'm too worried to fly it as a result incase it overheats and shuts down at 100 feet! I'm predicting a painful service bill
emoji17.png

No problems Adam, been a while since reply, you in Winter where you are ?

Anyway, sure give it a shot, if all normal you will fly for as far as you can see it, even further !! :)

The fan, hmmm, maybe don't do too much with it on the ground (settings etc), or hang around hovering for too long until checked out, if moving you should be fine.

Anyway, sure give it a shot, if all normal you will fly for as far as you can see it, even further !! :)

The fan, hmmm, maybe don't do too much with it on the ground (settings etc), or hang around hovering for too long until checked out, if moving you should be fine.
Well I did wonder if flying it would naturally cool it and it did. I hovered it for an entire battery and slowly moving it around in the garden at no more than 2 feet above the ground in case it decided to shut down and it was fine. After landing i checked the temperature and it was warm but no where near as hot as it was when it was stationary whilst i was recalibrating the gimble/compass/settings etc but i'm still wary of using it as normal in case it decides to cut out at height.

I do remember the noise it would make shortly after turning the drone on, the fan would kick in almost immdiately and i can't remember the last time it did that because it's something i don't normally notice until I realised it was overheating. Could have been like that for months!

And yes it is winter here, but i live in the North of England so our weather is pretty much New Zealand weather without the heat!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark