DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost control in weird 'joystick' mode

The other day, whilst trying to do some active track filming, I noticed that the mavic had stopped 'following' it's subject and was just hovering. So I came out of active track to take over manually. I soon discovered that I couldn't control the mavic at all except for little nudges from its hover position, that as soon as I let go of the stick, world result in the mavic reverting to the same position.

At the same time I noticed that the controller was showing "JOYSTICK" and the app was also displaying the same next to the little icon at the top.

I'm guessing I had ended up in a weird flight mode, but I could not get out of this mode at all, and in the end could only think of an RTH to get in to land. To make matters worse it was hovering over water. It was lucky I had set rth in a deliberately sensible place as I was flying from a boat but had chosen to take off from land as a last ditch failsafe (which I had no intention of using).

Can anyone tell me what I had done to get in this mode? And equally what I could have done to regain normal flight control. I'm sure it will be something really obvious, but with 4 years of dji experience I couldn't work it out under pressure.

Thanks.

====================================================================================
I posted about this last July 6th (link and excerpts pasted below). I thought it was just the DronePan app but from these other posts I can see that it is not just that app. In my case, I was over dry land, never more than 300 feet away, and this happens with both an Iphone and an Ipad.

Quick Question DronePan App

1. I have used the Drone Pan app a twice now (IOS version) and the software has the Mavic take the Pano pictures just fine, but right after the photos are done, my RC is then in "JoyStick" mode which leaves my RC unresponsive and the only thing I can do is hit the RTH button and land and restart the Mavic to restore the RC functionality. Is this normal? Is there a way to get the RC out of Joystick mode while it is in the air?

#1DroneBuddy, Jul 6, 2018
    Edit Report

2. charlasWell-Known Member
    Switch over to the Go4 app, and switch modes back to mode 2 maybe? does Sports mode not force it off as well?
    DroneBuddyNew Member

3. Thanks Charlas. I will try both suggestions tomorrow and report back.

4. charlasWell-Known Member
    I've not tried the app, so these are just suggestions, but sports mode is my 'go too' get out of trouble button, and usually works

5. DroneBuddyNew Member
    OK, here is what my results are. Trying to switch back to Mode 2 using the Go 4 app doesn't work. Just switching to Sport mode (and back) doesn't work either--But, killing off the Drone Pan app FIRST and then switching to Sport mode does restore RC functionality! So your suggestion Charlas does provide a fix when used this way. Thank you. Also, what I also didn't mentioned originally is that in addition to the RC going going into "joystick" mode the video feed stops and goes completely dark. The video feed is also restored with the fix.

For me, this lockup with this particular app happens with both my Iphone (6) and my IpadMini (A7).

#5DroneBuddy, Jul 11, 2018

6. charlasWell-Known Member
    Strange, but at least a work around, I'd report the bug to the app developer though.
    #6charlas, Jul 11, 2018

From DJI-forum: Joystick mode is a special mode that is used by 3rd party apps to send commands to the aircraft without the RC.

True or not, don't know.

Maybe those intelligent flight modes and other 'automated stuff' are like individual apps inside DJI GO 4. But what causes GO 4 to handle them like 3rd party apps? o_O

Isn’t that the question. I’m still a little shaken at feeling like I had no control over my Mavic Pro. Really ugh...

[QUOTE = "BorisTheSpider, post: 169857, membro: 11963"]
Eu vi a anunciação do modo joystick no controlador ao fazer 360 panoramas no Litchi, mas nunca fiquei presa nela e não tentei controlar o drone manualmente enquanto ele estava ativo.
[/CITAR]
fiquei preso hoje também fazendo panoramas no Litchi.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688