DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost control? (Video)

mdominic

Reactions
I tried to fly from a rooftop deck and had problems controlling the Mavic Pro Platinum forcing me to land. It was not windy and there were no GPS or compass warnings.

Check the video. I narrated what happened after the fact .

Thanks.

PS: This isn't about the NYC regulations. I am aware of the laws. Thanks.

Last edited:
I tried to fly from a rooftop deck and had problems controlling the Mavic Pro Platinum forcing me to land. It was not windy and there were no GPS or compass warnings.

Check the video. I narrated what happened after the fact .

Thanks.

Is it legal to fly in NYC in the first place without a waiver? Except for open areas like parks.

About the loosing control:
It is probably caused by a ton of interference from buildings, WiFi, cell towers, radios..... anything is possible.

AS always, you need to look at the recorded flight data to see what was happening.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Launching from a rooftop terrace is possibly the issue.
Is it reinforced concrete?

AS always, you need to look at the recorded flight data to see what was happening.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Launching from a rooftop terrace is possibly the issue.
Is it reinforced concrete?

I didn't know about that. Here it is. There are a TON of errors. NONE of which were present on my controller when I was flying. Other that the airport warning.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I didn't know about that. Here it is. There are a TON of errors. NONE of which were present on my controller when I was flying. Other that the airport warning.
Yaw error/compass error combination.
You were lucky it was only a mild case.
Many drones have been lost as a result of that.
It's commonly seen when people launch from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces.
Never launch from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces.
If you want to fly from up there, launch from something non-steel, 5 feet above the floor.

Yaw error/compass error combination.
You were lucky it was only a mild case.
Many drones have been lost as a result of that.
It's commonly seen when people launch from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces.
Never launch from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces.
If you want to fly from up there, launch from something non-steel, 5 feet above the floor.

Thanks a lot! I wasn't aware that this would have been a problem. I'm just glad it didn't hurl 20 stories to the ground injuring someone or worse.

I would like to have your apartment please. Thank you in advance.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scout Aerial