DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my Air 2S...Annapolis MD

originalfoto

Reactions
Long story short... I was 3 miles out over the Bay, doing some mastershots over a cargo ship. I got the battery warning to return home. I canceled it and flew for another couple of minutes before trying to manually returning home. Battery starts to drain rapidly (flying against the wind). I turned off recording to try to conserve energy. At about 1500 ft. out the drone landed (in the Bay) :-(

I do have DJI Care.. will they cover this as a fly away or tell me to kick rocks because I was negligent?

• Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
I got the battery warning to return home. I canceled it and flew for another couple of minutes before trying to manually returning home. Battery starts to drain rapidly (flying against the wind).
Out over the sea, you need to maintain a comfortable safety margin.
It's an unforgiving environment and as you've discovered, what might end up being a small inconvenience on land can mean the loss of a drone.
And you must consider the wind's effect on your return flight.
If you are going to fight a headwind coming home, you need to calculate out how far you can fly and include a bigger safety margin, or maybe decide it's a better idea not to fly at all.
I turned off recording to try to conserve energy.
Compared to the power consumed by the four motors, the camera, sensors etc use almost none at all.

Reactions: StantonZ
originalfoto: DJI states that you need to return the drone to claim refresh unless they detect a problem on their end. You would need to supply them with the logs from your controller/phone.

You may want to check out this video to see if your situation was similar. DJI Support inquired about the incident on the YouTube page:

It is queued at the point where things begin to go south:

There's a one-time 'fly away' replacement that is included in the refresh... I'm asking if landing in the sea counts as fly-away?

originalfoto: DJI states that you need to return the drone to claim refresh unless they detect a problem on their end. You would need to supply them with the logs from your controller/phone.

You may want to check out this video to see if your situation was similar. DJI Support inquired about the incident on the YouTube page:

It is queued at the point where things begin to go south:

Don't be fooled by that video guy.
He was the whole problem.
That video popped up recently and the actual issue was explained here:

Long story short... I was 3 miles out over the Bay, doing some mastershots over a cargo ship. I got the battery warning to return home. I canceled it and flew for another couple of minutes before trying to manually returning home. Battery starts to drain rapidly (flying against the wind). I turned off recording to try to conserve energy. At about 1500 ft. out the drone landed (in the Bay) :-(

I do have DJI Care.. will they cover this as a fly away or tell me to kick rocks because I was negligent?
Let me guess were you flying from Thomas Point Park?

Sorry you lost your drone but I have to tell you ..my feeling is,,, if you cancel a battery warning you're saying bye bye to the drone. I guess that's coming from a few hikes to the gas station with a can. Believe the fuel/battery gauges

Sorry you lost your drone but I have to tell you ..my feeling is,,, if you cancel a battery warning you're saying bye bye to the drone. I guess that's coming from a few hikes to the gas station with a can. Believe the fuel/battery gauges

Yep.. I know that, and clearly admit (in my original post) that I was negligent. I'm simply wondering if DJI might still cover it under the fly-away/lost drone. If it was a manufacturer issue I'd imagine it would be covered under regular warranty. I'm hoping the DJ Care/Refresh is a little more forgiving.. even with pilot error (i.e. with Apple Care for iPhone, if I drop my phone in the ocean or lost it/had it stolen - they would cover the replacement if I paid the deductible. That is all I'm trying to determine.. if anyone has experience with DJI covering it even with pilot error?

Reactions: hiflyer201
When the battery warnings hit, its time to come back pronto, and if your out an extended range, even then, your may not make it back..

I've noted several times after I've hit a battery warning or a battery low RTH, I may cancel the RTH, but I bring it back home immediately. I cancel RTH because I think I can get it home faster than RTH will.. my drone is too valuable to me to ignore those warnings.. I also note that battery percentage drops faster after you hit low battery, sometimes precipitously and you have less flight time then you think.

Not to mention when I get near to a low battery condition, as I monitor battery usage during my flights. I may still fly a bit, but I also getting closer to my home point and not hanging around at the max distance of my flight to struggle back to home when the warnings actually hit..

There is a rule you may have overlooked - it's called VLOS. 3 miles out (no VLOS for sure) and you cancel RTH to loiter some more. Highly doubtful DJI will do anything. Had you had 3rd Party Insurance - you might be in luck.

FlyAway I'm pretty sure is when the drone goes wacky (not the pilot) and takes off on it's own. Not the case here. And very expensive lesson learned - sadly.

The current DJI Care Refresh flyaway replacement service is a generic term for getting a replacement when the aircraft is lost during flight (as opposed to stolen etc.). All it needs is a flight record confirming that it was lost - it doesn't require it to be shown not to have been pilot error.

The current DJI Care Refresh flyaway replacement service is a generic term for getting a replacement when the aircraft is lost during flight (as opposed to stolen etc.). All it needs is a flight record confirming that it was lost - it doesn't require it to be shown not to have been pilot error.
Remains to be seen how DJI handles it - does it not!

Don't be fooled by that video guy.
He was the whole problem.
That video popped up recently and the actual issue was explained here:
I mentioned the video because something similar happened to me with the Air 2S, and the wind was imperceptible when I flew. I took his word at face value regarding his wind conditions. On the day I flew, the situation I encountered happened on the 6th flight and conditions were just about perfect.

Posting this in case it helps others in a similar situation.

I canceled my initial RTH warning, as I have done countless times on the M2P, and when the battery got to 11% the Air 2S started to auto-land. RTH speed transitioned from +23mph to zero in the final seconds of 12% battery. It was 977 ft. away, however the only way I could navigate it toward home was to ascend. When I attempted to descend, it started flying backwards - not blown backwards. We have all seen what a drone looks like when it flies backwards vs what it looks like when it's fighting wind. As mentioned, wind was not a factor.

At 977ft away, simple math suggests it would have been back at the home point in less than 40 secs, assuming power (and speed) depletion rate prior to 11%. It would have landed with 6-7% battery.

When I left the sticks alone, it attempted to auto-land at its present location. Each time I descended and/or attempted to fly in any direction, it flew away from the home point. I was not able to yaw it 180 degrees and fly it home backwards, most likely because it was locked into RTH. Occasionally I could get it to yaw, but without any consistency or ability to manage it.

The initial auto-land location would have put it in the middle of a dense set of trees, where I suspect it would have been difficult to recover. I was able to maneuver it to a less dense, safe location where it took a tumble and got pretty mangled, but I was able to retrieve it and send it back for my first ever use of refresh.

Had the Air 2S not allowed me to do anything but auto-land, I would simply recalibrate my expectations for RTH (I will now anyway), but remain curious why I could ascend and continue to fly forward as close as 284 ft. from my home point, only to watch it fly backwards to a distance of 1,281 ft. before I left it alone to auto-land.

After hundreds of M2P flights, I'm dialed in regarding how much battery I need relative to distance and environmental conditions. The Air 2S is a different platform, and my fault for not knowing its tolerances prior to this incident, but it is worth noting that the drone had more than needed to return to the home point after its first attempt to auto-land. That includes traveling over an additional 2,000 ft, multiple changes in altitude, and several minutes battling to keep it in a hovering mode while I contemplated a plan. Final touchdown was 3mins 32 secs after it began flying backwards once it reached 284 ft from home.

On a positive note, the battery life was impressive. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez