DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my Air 2S...Annapolis MD

I've lost 3 in the river over the years
I drifted mine into a tree and dropped it in a creek. I wasn't about to ask someone else to pay for my negligence. imo if a pilot ignores a battery warning and doesn't make it back they should accept that responsibility.

I drifted mine into a tree and dropped it in a creek. I wasn't about to ask someone else to pay for my negligence. imo if a pilot ignores a battery warning and doesn't make it back they should accept that responsibility.

I bet your insurance company loves you... you pay for insurance and refuse to file a claim against it.

Sure - if it was pilot error then it's not going to be a warranty repair. But why did refresh not cover it?
Mine was clearly pilot error as I explained in my OP, and DJI covered mine under the fly-away program. The deductible is higher.. but still they covered it.

Yeah I can tell you now you are going to be disappointed. I have coverage Refresh coverage on mine and it landed automatically on auto home land program instead of landing on the orange LZ it landed in a bush nearby. literally flew straight into the shrub. Not only did the sensor not see it and stop it it also with that gentle landing in the shrubbery, broke the gimbal. Even though I have coverage, they’re not fixing it they refuse it. I’d be amazed if they fixed yours especially if it’s in the bay. I lost one it still sits tie up in a tree. They refused to honor that under the flyaway policy because it’s in a tree somehow that makes sense to them but not me. I’m done with them I suggest everyone find someone else maybe ALLTEL

see my update.. they are covering it.. just with a higher deductible.

Mine was clearly pilot error as I explained in my OP, and DJI covered mine under the fly-away program. The deductible is higher.. but still they covered it.
As expected. But my question was directed at @Eaglesky77, who stated that DJI would not honor it for him.

Long story short... I was 3 miles out over the Bay, doing some mastershots over a cargo ship. I got the battery warning to return home. I canceled it and flew for another couple of minutes before trying to manually returning home. Battery starts to drain rapidly (flying against the wind). I turned off recording to try to conserve energy. At about 1500 ft. out the drone landed (in the Bay) :-(

I do have DJI Care.. will they cover this as a fly away or tell me to kick rocks because I was negligent?
I read flyaway coverage is only good for Mav Mini and Mav Air2 and prob S. Your acct must be bound to the RC.
"In order to use Flyaway Coverage, users must have bound their DJI account and remote controller with their aircraft using the DJI Fly app. If this binding operation has not been completed prior to experiencing a flyaway incident, Flyaway Coverage cannot be used". According to drone DJ they rarely, if ever ask questions or request logs if you simply pay the replacement fee.

DJI has the unit and the logs, so I'll see what they find.

The digest for anyone to take away:
  • It appears auto-land initiates at 11% battery on the Air 2S.
  • RTH kicks in with more than enough time to get home.
  • Even though I cancelled all RTH warnings on previous flights and flew awhile longer, this particular flight I pushed it more, expecting it to perform like the M2P. That was a mistake.
  • Trying to navigate once it began to auto-land was somewhat possible, but I couldn't get it home.
  • Regardless, during auto-land, when the sticks were left alone it descended at its current point.
"Heed the warning." - Captain Obvious
When I was new at flying DJI drones, I had a few instances where my battery ran low and it attempted a forced landing. I pushed the altitude stick up in all cases. It froze any further descent. I pushed the other stick forward and made it home several times, but at 1 or 0 % battery life. The batteries seem to still work for 2 or 3 minutes even at 0%. The other times I had to ditch the drones in grassy areas next to a nearby road. I haven't had anything like that happen in over a year now.

It may have been pilot error, but it's still an accident. He made a judgement error, by accidentally believing his drone would make it back.. He paid for Care Refresh and has to pay again, a replacement fee. I wouldn't let my guilt stand in the way of at least filing for a replacement. If they don't replace or do replace. Either way it's fine with me, but that's just me.

I bet your insurance company loves you... you pay for insurance and refuse to file a claim against it.
Hey, if you told them exactly what happened and they covered it that's all good. When I flew my drone into a tree, 'fly away' isn't how I would have described what happened.

As expected. But my question was directed at @Eaglesky77, who stated that DJI would not honor it for him.
Sorry just saw this. I was not aware and never read anywhere on website that if I buy from Best Buy a drone and then have to exchange it for a new one that the refresh policy does not automatically transfer to the new drone. I only found that out by chance. Noticed that Jen requested they transfer my policy to the new serial number providing receipts and everything that was needed I also purchased an interim policy to cover me in the meantime while the transfer would no doubt take some time. Later after was assured “they would take it from there “regarding the transfer, the refund was issued for the second policy paid but the transfer was not done. They said it would be handled but it never was. Now I’m out $1300. That’s called fraud in my book.

Sorry just saw this. I was not aware and never read anywhere on website that if I buy from Best Buy a drone and then have to exchange it for a new one that the refresh policy does not automatically transfer to the new drone. I only found that out by chance. Noticed that Jen requested they transfer my policy to the new serial number providing receipts and everything that was needed I also purchased an interim policy to cover me in the meantime while the transfer would no doubt take some time. Later after was assured “they would take it from there “regarding the transfer, the refund was issued for the second policy paid but the transfer was not done. They said it would be handled but it never was. Now I’m out $1300. That’s called fraud in my book.
Did you escalate that issue with DJI or Best Buy? It may not be fraud but it does seem a bit unreasonable in the circumstances, and DJI is usually pretty willing to compromise rather than lose a customer completely.

Did you escalate that issue with DJI or Best Buy? It may not be fraud but it does seem a bit unreasonable in the circumstances, and DJI is usually pretty willing to compromise rather than lose a customer completely.
I didn’t know you could escalate anything this way With DJI. As for Best Buy they have no rolling in this. This is DJI not honoring the policy I purchased and somebody messing up and not doing the transfer promised. How can I escalate this? There’s no phone number to speak to anyone. Any emails or reply to with templates that simply say will handle it from there after you do blank blank blank know whenever addresses the issue. I’ve sent at least 10 or 11 emails

I bought a mavic air 2 from Best Buy a year ago. The second day I had it , it fell off my balcony and wouldn't function. I returned it to Best Buy, they replaced it. I re-registered the new one with DJI as a replacement to the broken one and gave them the new serial number, the same day. I then flew it for about 6 months and crashed it. I filled the forms out on the DJI website and it said THE SERIAL NUMBERS DIDN'T MATCH. I talked to a representative. They said they could easily fix that, All I had to do was send a copy of the exchange receipt from Bestbuy and give them the new serial number again, which as I said, I already did, but they still wanted the new serial number. I think I had to take a picture of it. They then approved my DJI Care request and sent me a new drone within 10days. Then 2 months before the DJI care refresh expired all together, I crashed it again or it crashed, not sure. I then sent them that drone for replacement, under "express replace" and got a new one in 6 days, no problem. I don't know who you talked to over there, but it sounds like someone messed up and didn't transfer the serial numbers. They are supposed to transfer your DJI care refresh to the retailer Replaced Drone. But, it takes a little work on your part. Call them directly. Use Emails to get confirmation of the transfer. And talk to someone else , if you have problems getting it done. They shouldn't have denied you coverage. They didn't deny my claims.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eaglesky77
I’m still trying to think of how I can have this issue made right. I’m not aware that contacting dji support at refresh support was possible by phone. The regular tech support always tells me to email them. I’m so frustrated and they don’t care. But perhaps I will try to return to Best Buy and exchange it. It was not pilot error.
the issue is that I had a refresh policy and after finding out I was to email them new drone serial number with receipt I did that. They emailed a reply saying” kindly provide “ serial # of old ad new drone plus copy of receipt. Then email ended with” after submitting that we WILL TAKE IT FROM THERE.” But nobody took it. Except me, I took it up the rear.
serioously, I want to escalate or appeal or get hold of anyone who will listen snd care and help. I don’t know of any way to get in touch except the regular email that takes days for their reply. Unbelievable. I’m truly not able to afford a loss like this and have lost all respect for dji.
anyhow, I’m going to keep pestering them with emails unless anyone can help me find a number for contacting refresh support. In the meantime, I’ll try a return to Best Buy. Of course, because it was damaged I assumed it wasn’t returnable. And now it’s been just over the 14 day limit to return things. I’m hitting dread ends everywhere. Thank you for the advice and caring enough to share that. It is helpful.
Will

I’m still trying to think of how I can have this issue made right. I’m not aware that contacting dji support at refresh support was possible by phone. The regular tech support always tells me to email them. I’m so frustrated and they don’t care. But perhaps I will try to return to Best Buy and exchange it. It was not pilot error.
the issue is that I had a refresh policy and after finding out I was to email them new drone serial number with receipt I did that. They emailed a reply saying” kindly provide “ serial # of old ad new drone plus copy of receipt. Then email ended with” after submitting that we WILL TAKE IT FROM THERE.” But nobody took it. Except me, I took it up the rear.
serioously, I want to escalate or appeal or get hold of anyone who will listen snd care and help. I don’t know of any way to get in touch except the regular email that takes days for their reply. Unbelievable. I’m truly not able to afford a loss like this and have lost all respect for dji.
anyhow, I’m going to keep pestering them with emails unless anyone can help me find a number for contacting refresh support. In the meantime, I’ll try a return to Best Buy. Of course, because it was damaged I assumed it wasn’t returnable. And now it’s been just over the 14 day limit to return things. I’m hitting dread ends everywhere. Thank you for the advice and caring enough to share that. It is helpful.
Will
CHINA
+86 4007000303
Mon-Fri 9:00 - 21:00(GMT+8)
HONG KONG CHINA
+852 3060 6038
MACAU CHINA
+853 6262 1485
TAIWAN CHINA
+886 2 8723 0819
JAPAN
03 6634 4949
Mon-Fri 10:00-17:00(GMT+9)
UNITED STATES & CANADA
+1 (818) 235 0789
Mon-Fri 7:00AM - 5:00PM (PST)
GERMANY
+49 (0) 9771 - 906 990
Mon-Thu 9:00AM - 4:00PM; Fri 9:00AM - 3:00PM (GMT+1)
NETHERLANDS
+31 20 654 5202
Mon-Fri 10:00AM - 7:00PM (GMT+1)
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 2076603037
Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 6:00PM (GMT+0)
AUSTRALIA
+61 1300 090 802
Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM (GMT+10)
BRAZIL
+55 08008080333
Mon - Fri 8:30AM - 5:30PM (GMT-3)
SOUTH KOREA
+82 080 822 1456
Mon-Fri 10:00AM-12:30PM;1:30PM-7:00PM (GMT+9)

Reactions: djctwo
CHINA
+86 4007000303
HONG KONG CHINA
+852 3060 6038
MACAU CHINA
+853 6262 1485
TAIWAN CHINA
+886 2 8723 0819
JAPAN
03 6634 4949
Mon-Fri 10:00-17:00(GMT+9)
UNITED STATES & CANADA
+1 (818) 235 0789
Mon-Fri 7:00AM - 5:00PM (PST)
GERMANY
+49 (0) 9771 - 906 990
Mon-Thu 9:00AM - 4:00PM; Fri 9:00AM - 3:00PM (GMT+1)
NETHERLANDS
+31 20 654 5202
Mon-Fri 10:00AM - 7:00PM (GMT+1)
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 2076603037
Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 6:00PM (GMT+0)
AUSTRALIA
+61 1300 090 802
Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM (GMT+10)
BRAZIL
+55 08008080333
Mon - Fri 8:30AM - 5:30PM (GMT-3)
SOUTH KOREA
+82 080 822 1456
Mon-Fri 10:00AM-12:30PM;1:30PM-7:00PM (GMT+9)
Ha. Well that’s specifically helpful. Truly thank you. It has had my mind heavy bc I was looking forward to making videos of my girls first trip to the beach/ ocean. Looks unlikely but I will moor stop until they reply with valid reasons for this or honor the policy. Thank you!!

Also..Always bare in mind that the wind is always substantially stronger at height, you might not feel much on the ground, but it could easily be much stronger at several hundred feet AGL.

When I was new at flying DJI drones, I had a few instances where my battery ran low and it attempted a forced landing. I pushed the altitude stick up in all cases. It froze any further descent. I pushed the other stick forward and made it home several times, but at 1 or 0 % battery life. The batteries seem to still work for 2 or 3 minutes even at 0%. The other times I had to ditch the drones in grassy areas next to a nearby road. I haven't had anything like that happen in over a year now.
So what happened? I had same thing happen to me. I canceled RTH, flew couple minutes, and couldn't regain control of MA2. Landed in the water. I'm expecting to have to pay the $399 for refresh plus.

So what happened? I had same thing happen to me. I canceled RTH, flew couple minutes, and couldn't regain control of MA2. Landed in the water. I'm expecting to have to pay the $399 for refresh plus.
The answer will be in your flight data.
If you want to find out, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez