DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my Mavic in Buffalo, NY while in Sport mode

This wasn't an app crash issue.

Maybe not, but app crash is certainly a big issue. My statement was only meant to point out that while DJI coding jocks are working on more features, we still after many months don't have a stable app by them just to do what it can do now. I can't fly 5 minutes without the app crashing, using my "recommended device" LG V20.

Well, we are 2/3. We just need to get @cderoche on board now ;)

Haha :p OK

No one mentioned this, but does the flight log indicate whether it kept flying or did it just hover over that apartment complex? OR did it actually fly away? It did not return to home obviously. And it would seem like the OP would have found it based on your conclusion, certainly he has looked there right? I hope he finds it, would be interesting to see how much farther if any did it fly after losing communications....

does the flight log indicate whether it kept flying or did it just hover over that apartment complex?
The flight log does not show this.

It did not return to home obviously. And it would seem like the OP would have found it based on your conclusion, certainly he has looked there right?
That's a lot of ground (and roofs) to cover. I'm not sure where he looked. And, do we know if someone already picked it up? It's in a residential location, so we shouldn't rule out that idea.

As for Mavics flying away on their own -- this rarely happens.

Reactions: cderoche
The flight log does not show this.

That's a lot of ground (and roofs) to cover. I'm not sure where he looked. And, do we know if someone already picked it up? It's in a residential location, so we shouldn't rule out that idea.

As for Mavics flying away on their own -- this rarely happens.

Well I'm glad to hear that! If it landed safely it would be a theft item for sure, or a car could run it over, anything really. If he has access to another drone that could prove helpful...

In the US, the FAA suggest pilots fly below 400 feet AGL.

You're correct. But he didn't break any laws, Class G airspace in uncontrolled and visual flight rules. It is a good suggestion for safer operations I agree. I've been 1639ft above my house with mine. Looks like a tiny dot that high.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I've searched the lawns of the area where it was the log ends but I haven't found anything. It seems like it would have crashed somewhere in the assisted living community. I'll call them and see if any residents have found anything. I'm beginning to suspect that the battery became loose and disconnected mid flight.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I've searched the lawns of the area where it was the log ends but I haven't found anything. It seems like it would have crashed somewhere in the assisted living community. I'll call them and see if any residents have found anything. I'm beginning to suspect that the battery became loose and disconnected mid flight.

I know that in this world practically anything is possible. But from the Mavic's purpose built top insert type battery design, it would seem highly unlikely for the battery to fall out since gravity normally is your friend. Go Pro Karma users... that's a different story. I would think a catastrophic battery failure of some type would get you first before a mid flight drop off. That being said, these seem like really well made batteries, I have many Lipo packs from various RC Cars and none that I've owned come close to these smart batteries - I've never seen any of my Lipos maintain such a close balance charge consistently after each charge.

If you have access to another drone with video, I would certainly try that, how else will you check every roof top, gutter, tree top, etc.

From the starting point on your data map, just curious, did you happen to take off from the sidewalk? (IE metal rebar - interfere with IMU in the drone maybe?) I always get a warning if trying to setup on a sidewalk, and launch from the grass on top a piece of plywood.

ALSO, is it possible that it crashed into something mid flight? Like another drone or small plane? Even a large bird?

Last edited:
From the starting point on your data map, just curious, did you happen to take off from the sidewalk? (IE metal rebar - interfere with IMU in the drone maybe?) I always get a warning if trying to setup on a sidewalk, and launch from the grass on top a piece of plywood.

ALSO, is it possible that it crashed into something mid flight? Like another drone or small plane? Even a large bird?

I took of from a concrete driveway, but it seemed to record the home point correctly. I did not see any other drones or aircraft operating in the area but a bird strike is possible, although I would think that the flight record would have indicated some drop in altitude before losing power.

I know that in this world practically anything is possible. But from the Mavic's purpose built top insert type battery design, it would seem highly unlikely for the battery to fall out since gravity normally is your friend. Go Pro Karma users... that's a different story. I would think a catastrophic battery failure of some type would get you first before a mid flight drop off. That being said, these seem like really well made batteries, I have many Lipo packs from various RC Cars and none that I've owned come close to these smart batteries - I've never seen any of my Lipos maintain such a close balance charge consistently after each charge.

If you have access to another drone with video, I would certainly try that, how else will you check every roof top, gutter, tree top, etc.
It only needs to pop up slightly to disconnect and the drone will free fall from the sky. I suspect that's what happened to yours too. Except he was high up, so his drone may have shattered into pieces.

I took of from a concrete driveway, but it seemed to record the home point correctly. I did not see any other drones or aircraft operating in the area but a bird strike is possible, although I would think that the flight record would have indicated some drop in altitude before losing power.
Your drone didn't hit anything. I am certain of that.

It only needs to pop up slightly to disconnect and the drone will free fall from the sky. I suspect that's what happened to yours too. Except he was high up, so his drone may have shattered into pieces.

I've been looking but so far I haven't found any wreckage. I'm trying to find at least some pieces of the drone so I can get a replacement through DJI Care, since they won't do anything if it's lost.

If the battery shut off mid-flight, you should have already found your Mavic in the parking lot near the last recorded location in your flight log. Since it wasn't there, that most likely did not happen.

Did you call the home and ask if anyone found it? Do you have another drone (or friend with a drone) that you can fly over to check the roof areas?

Reactions: jdcntulsa
If the battery shut off mid-flight, you should have already found your Mavic in the parking lot near the last recorded location in your flight log. Since it wasn't there, that most likely did not happen.

Did you call the home and ask if anyone found it? Do you have another drone (or friend with a drone) that you can fly over to check the roof areas?

It was moving pretty quickly and had some altitude, so I figure that if it suddenly lost power, it would have coasted for a few hundred feet in free-fall. I called the home and they said it was the first they've heard of any drone, so I left my name and number. Hopefully it will turn up on a roof or something.

Even though a home point was recorded, if your internal compass doesn't know where it's pointing it may have returned to home thinking home is somewhere else? All kinds of drone video gurus on Youtube I've seen say how important it is to not take off from near metal objects. Or does GPS override this somehow on its on? I'm not certain on how all the sensors work in harmony to make it know how to get home.

I had a Phantom fall from the sky before and smash onto a roof. The frame rolled over the edge but the battery, camera and a few other pieces stayed on the roof.

No one in the building said anything. Didn't hear it supposedly.

I say grab another drone and check the roofs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe153