DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low signal strength on the way back home

megapixle

Reactions
In general the signal strength and range of my Air 3 is pretty good. However, I've noticed the signal is substantially degraded if the drone is pointed and headed back my direction. On the way out I can have 2-3 bars of signal strength, but once I turn around to fly back home I only have 0-1 bars signal strength, with noticeably degraded responsiveness and transmission quality.

So far I haven't completely lost signal, resulting in auto-RTH, but I am worried about being in an area that seems safe, but I then rotate the drone and suddenly have a disconnect.

Anybody else noticed this phenomenon?

In the arms.
Exactly which arms, and how is "the tilt" interfering with the aiming of the antennas?
You are being very obtuse.

This is the Air 3 with DJI's best transmission signal of OS4.

I have never seen any DJI drone perform in such a poor manner, as described by the OP:

"On the way out I can have 2-3 bars of signal strength, but once I turn around to fly back home I only have 0-1 bars signal strength, with noticeably degraded responsiveness and transmission quality."

I would find this behavior unacceptable on any DJI drone, let alone an Air 3!
This is definitely not normal behavior!

Something else is going on, other than the mere direction the drone is flying!

Exactly which arms, and how is "the tilt" interfering with the aiming of the antennas?
You are being very obtuse.

This is the Air 3 with DJI's best transmission signal of OS4.

I have never seen any DJI drone perform in such a poor manner, as described by the OP:

"On the way out I can have 2-3 bars of signal strength, but once I turn around to fly back home I only have 0-1 bars signal strength, with noticeably degraded responsiveness and transmission quality."

I would find this behavior unacceptable on any DJI drone, let alone an Air 3!
This is definitely not normal behavior!

Something else is going on, other than the mere direction the drone is flying!
Dang, it happens with my Mini 2, Air 2S and Mavic 3 Classic. You will never notice if you only fly 100 meters away.

Dang, it happens with my Mini 2, Air 2S and Mavic 3 Classic. You will never notice if you only fly 100 meters away.
You still haven't answered my question:

"Exactly which arms, and how is "the tilt" interfering with the aiming of the antennas?"

From the OP:

As to your reference to under 100 meters, in 8 years of flying DJI drones, I have NEVER seen this on ANY DJI drone, even before VLOS, when flying up to 5 miles away and turning around! On rare occasions, when flying at 90° to the signal transmission at great distance, the signal may become degraded, but never when flying towards the RC!

Please explain the physics behind your "theory," dismissing this as normal behavior, and not a defect under the best signal transmission DJI has ever offered, supposedly good out to 20km!

You don't even need to spend money on one of those, in comparison they're not even that good!

Here's a test with just the stock RC:
1701670958783.png

Then with one of those crappy clamshell "signal boosters"
1701671067485.png
1701671101920.png

Less range!!!!

However...
1701671176043.png
1701671223177.png
1701671266395.png
1701671306309.png
1701671377025.png