DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P vs P4P?

FlyaDrone

Reactions
M2P is a P4P killer?
I do not own either so not qualified to speculate from experience.
However on paper this new M2P looks like why buy a P4P?
Inquiring minds want to know.......

Last edited:
I'll be buying the M2P for the portability during my travels. Today I always take my P4P in a backpack. I carry it on commercial aircraft and put in the overhead. I've done that for 4yrs with Phantoms, it's not a problem, but clearly heavier and bigger to tote around an airport in a backpack.

Here are the comparisons of M2P and P4P, from what I gather.

1. M2P doesn't support 60FPS@4K, which is all I fly
2. M2P doesn't support ATTI mode, which I use occasionally when a breeze cooperates.
3. P4P doesn't have 10bit color like M2P, but this is only usable with dlog & HDR, which I rarely use.
4. Battery life, or flight time appears to be similar, but I think P4PV2 wins barely.
5. M2P has way more capability with intelligent flight modes. This is the biggest advantage, if you use them.
6. M2P is absolutely the most convenient for weight and size.
7. M2P states the video link range is better than P4P, but I haven't seen a comparison. However 3mi is plenty for me so I have some hover time at the destination. Both can easily do 3mi with LOS connection.
8. From some of the sample video I've seen, M2P seems to over-saturate color, but I assume that can be adjusted with color profile.
9. The light gathering ability of the M2P seems a little better than P4P for low light missions, but I haven't seen actual comparisons yet.
10. M2P is way quieter, about the same as MP from what I've seen reported.

If you don't care about slow motion in 4K, or ATTI mode, the M2P appears to be the winner when you compare the conveniences and capabilities. However, if you have a P4P I'm not sure an M2P is worth the purchase unless you need some of the new fancy intelligent flight features. If you don't own the P4P, then yes, the M2P is what I'd recommend, it's truly amazing for it's size.

Last edited:
Don’t forget the mechanical shutter on the p4p which could be helpful for action sports. No rolling shutter effect

Don’t forget the mechanical shutter on the p4p which could be helpful for action sports. No rolling shutter effect
Yes, that's true, I forgot that because I shoot video mostly, very few photos.

I'll be buying the M2P for the portability during my travels. Today I always take my P4P in a backpack. I carry it on commercial aircraft and put in the overhead. I've done that for 4yrs with Phantoms, it's not a problem, but clearly heavier and bigger to tote around an airport in a backpack.

Here are the comparisons of M2P and P4P, from what I gather.

1. M2P doesn't support 60FPS@4K, which is all I fly
2. M2P doesn't support ATTI mode, which I use occasionally when a breeze cooperates.
3. P4P doesn't have 10bit color like M2P, but this is only usable with dlog & HDR, which I rarely use.
4. Battery life, or flight time appears to be similar, but I think P4PV2 wins barely.
5. M2P has way more capability with intelligent flight modes. This is the biggest advantage, if you use them.
6. M2P is absolutely the most convenient for weight and size.
7. M2P states the video link range is better than P4P, but I haven't seen a comparison. However 3mi is plenty for me so I have some hover time at the destination. Both can easily do 3mi with LOS connection.
8. From some of the sample video I've seen, M2P seems to over-saturate color, but I assume that can be adjusted with color profile.
9. The light gathering ability of the P2P seems a little better than P4P for low light missions, but I haven't seen actual comparisons yet.
10. M2P is way quieter, about the same as MP from what I've seen reported.

If you don't care about slow motion in 4K, or ATTI mode, the M2P appears to be the winner when you compare the conveniences and capabilities. However, if you have a P4P I'm not sure an M2P is worth the purchase unless you need some of the new fancy intelligent flight features. If you don't own the P4P, then

I know that there’s no switch for ATTI mode, but will the M2P switch to it automatically give GPS signals are lost? Mine gets delivered next week so I would like to read up on what I am in store for.

I know that there’s no switch for ATTI mode, but will the M2P switch to it automatically give GPS signals are lost? Mine gets delivered next week so I would like to read up on what I am in store for.
Correct, the drone has no choice when it loses GPS or compass lock, it must fly manual ATTI. That's of no use to the pilot though. The ability to enable ATTI is useful for drifting in a breeze while you yaw the craft around, providing smooth slow panning movements. Professionals use this technique all the time when the wind cooperates. The other use is to determine wind speed and direction at the altitude you're flying. Lastly, the other use of ATTI mode is to practice how the craft behaves when it goes into ATTI mode, from loss of GPS or compass. I'm clueless why DJI omitted ATTI from a craft they call "Pro". Just like omitting an HDMI connector on the RC. Missing those two things (ATTI and HDMI) don't justify calling it a "Pro" IMO.

Correct, the drone has no choice when it loses GPS or compass lock, it must fly manual ATTI. That's of no use to the pilot though. The ability to enable ATTI is useful for drifting in a breeze while you yaw the craft around, providing smooth slow panning movements. Professionals use this technique all the time when the wind cooperates. The other use is to determine wind speed and direction at the altitude you're flying. Lastly, the other use of ATTI mode is to practice how the craft behaves when it goes into ATTI mode, from loss of GPS or compass. I'm clueless why DJI omitted ATTI from a craft they call "Pro". Just like omitting an HDMI connector on the RC. Missing those two things (ATTI and HDMI) don't justify calling it a "Pro" IMO.

Gotcha. Thank you! I’ve been flying a vintage P4 since its release But have never had the opportunity to take advantage of a breeze when shooting video. Sounds intriguing. I will definitely have to try it!

From what I have read in the above M2P is obviously more portable = a big plus
No ATTI mode switch = significant mibus, no ability for practice and winds at altitude checks
Rolling shutter = minus for action pics and minus for mapping, Pix4D does adjust for rolling shutter

ATTI flight mode is a very good option to have and practice flying with because you never know when that skill set might be needed. For those of you buying a first time aircraft do not underestimate this neglected feature. Also it is quite common to switch between P mode and either Sport or ATTI to unlock an app. while flying and be able to regain control. Just imagine that you are flying adjacent to an object and your conditions are such that a breeze is trying to push you into the structure, well if you loose GPS then you might have a split second to regain control or replace your aircraft.

DJI CARE/Refresh should be a line item on your order as I am certain that slow or wrong pilot response when suddenly forced into ATTI has been the cause of many crashes. And this scenario is actually pilot error not aircraft malfunction, believe me the flight logs will not help relieve your bruised ego as it will show loss of GPS then ATTI mode then CRASH = aw shucks.

M2P is a P4P killer?

Well mavic wins on portability etc.
However, the P4P has the flight modes the M2 does not so far at least.
P4 has home lock, course lock, waypoints, precision landing.

Chances are these will come with time but at the moment there is a lot missing.

M2P is a P4P killer?
the p4 pro is much better camera qaulity compared to the mavic2 pro, just go on YouTube you will see.
p4 pro has a better shutter, better image, better colour. 4k at 60 fps and this is coming from someone who has 2 mavic and 2 p3p. I love my mavs as I travel a lot, but if you want the best camera p4 pro all the way! Really wanted that new mavic but for me huge let down so now buying the p4 pro obsidion.

I own both and am selling my P4 Pro. I do not do much video, and shoot photos in DNG mode. Ignore what the poster above said about image quality, the Mavic 2 pro DNG files are nice and sharp. Quality wise I have no complaints. The portability for me was the big sale and I am happy the photos look just fine!

Only reason to own the p4p is the mechanical shutter for photos and 60fps for video

Another great review of m2p and comparsion vs p4p
On this one the pictures and video quality are the same in my opinion on m2p and p4p. So mby it is not so obvious...

Last edited:
Interesting the M2P uses the H3 Ambarella processor that came out last year, touting support for 4K@60 capability. However the M2P doesn't include the firmware to support it. This could very well be a marketing initiated limitation, NOT HARDWARE. If my hunch is right, this was left out on purpose by DJI marketing to position itself below an upcoming P5. Time will tell.

Interesting the M2P uses the H3 Ambarella processor that came out last year, touting support for 4K@60 capability. However the M2P doesn't include the firmware to support it. This could very well be a marketing initiated limitation, NOT HARDWARE. If my hunch is right, this was left out on purpose by DJI marketing to position itself below an upcoming P5. Time will tell.

For the Mavic 2 Platinum in a years time. The H3 can do 8k in 30fps....

I'm sure there's a marketing element, but I could also imagine that the necessary power and/or cooling budget isn't easily attainable on a smaller platform.

If phones can cool power hungry processors using tech such as heat pipes etc, then drones on a larger scale is not that big an issue.

8k 30fps on a mavic sized drone with a large sensor outputting 10 bit would cannibalise inspire 2 sales imo.

I owned both for a short period and chose to get rid of the P4P. The color is the main reason I got rid of the P4P. The M2P is closer to actual natural color. The P4P tends to “cool” every shot. Especially during golden hour. Not to mention it’s a pain to lug around the phantom if you’re a photographer too. Camera, lenses, strobes, softboxes, etc. The gear adds up and the Mavic 2 Pro reduces the load.

Since image quality between the two isn’t far off, sometimes the P4P had the better shot and sometimes the M2P did. The only reason to get/keep a P4P depends on the need for 4K@60. Drone shots are pretty slow as it is and I find myself speeding up footage in post rather than slowing it down. Not getting into the fact that most people tend to overuse drone shots in their productions nowadays, in my opinion.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre