DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom "zoom" question

rcpilot23

Reactions
So is it correct that if I was flying a Mavic 1 pro at 100 feet then a Mavic 2 zoom zoomed in will video like its at 50 feet ?
Just trying to get an answer on what the actual zoom is thanks

The angular field of view on the M2Z zoomed in is 48°. The angular field of view on the MP is 78.8°. The ratio of heights for equivalent field of view on the ground is the ratio of the tangents of the half-angles, which is 1.84. So the M2Z at 100 ft will have the same view as the MP at 54 ft.

yes thanks for info too.
I'm heading to my Drone shop this morning to get the zoom :)

It may also be worth bearing in mind that the M2P at 100 ft in HQ mode has a field of view of 56°, equivalent on the ground to the MP at 65 ft. Plus it has a better camera, with 10-bit recording.

In case you missed them... I posted a couple of examples here on MavicPilots showing the 4x (2x optical + 2x lossless digital) zoom that's available when shooting video at a resolution of 1080P/30 frame or lower. (This only works for video, not stills).

I love the ability. It's like having a 96mm lens in the air. The M2Z makes a great spy drone. At 200-300 feet you can really see in great detail what's happening on the ground :)

Mavic Zoom Sunset. (4x example)

M2 Zoom for inspections

You might find my post useful on the topic here:

Sold the Pro 2 for a Zoom

Hard to make a case for the Zoom, in my opinion, unless you have a very specific usage requirement. Between HQ and FOV mode on the Pro you can get close to the Zoom's FOV's, plus 10bit D-Log/HLG, an exponentially better stills camera, and an adjustable aperture.

Reactions: sar104

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiraMir