DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sold the Pro 2 for a Zoom

E92Vancouver

Reactions
Has anyone sold their Pro 2 for a Zoom? Leaning heavily towards buying a Pro this week but want to know if anyone has dumped their pro. A 1 inch sensor is a lot better than a 1/2.5" sensor at night, but during the day the 1/2.5" should be more than adequate. And the zoom option is mighty interesting as is the super resolution shooting and dolly zoom.

Last edited:
Has anyone sold their Pro 2 for a Zoom? Leaning heavily towards buying a Pro this week but want to know if anyone has dumped their pro. A 1 inch sensor is a lot better than a 1/2.5" sensor at night, but during the day the 1/2.5" should be more than adequate. And the zoom option is mighty interesting as is the super resolution shooting and dolly zoom.
I've a mav 2 pro, and last week I bought the zoom gimbal. I tested it during the weekend, I would say having a zoom is a sort of interesting though I must admit I got a bit disappointed with how little it actually zooms( I'm used to dslr cameras zoom lenses).
When we see DJIs advertising mav 2 zoom it seems far more versatile. I suppose they edit those videos quite a lot, plus they probably use digital zooming...
Another thing I a sort felt is that mav 2 pro gimbal stabilization seems more responsive compared to mav 2 zoom, but the later still gives you a good stabilization.

If you ask me if I will keep using the zoom gimbal I can tell you I can undoubtedly find a good use for it. But if I hadn't got both gimbals and I had to choose one, I would certainly stick to the mav 2 pro Gimbal!

A large sensor isn't only useful at night. Its a completely different sensor.
Its got significantly higher dynamic range (very useful in daytime), substantially lower noise at all ISOs and the optics allow for a much sharper image to be rendered.

Its like comparing a good compact camera to a 3 year old cellphone camera output in terms of quality.

Reactions: dtp
Digital zoom is cancer for your eyes. Absolutely horrible.

The optical zoom "24-48mm optical zoom camera" barely seems worth it.

Opinion: Having a slight zoom is only a gimic that won't be used that much. Having a much better camera in the M2P is something that will be used all the time. Your choice.

Reactions: dtp

Depends how it's done. For example if your final product is 1080P and you shot in 4K, you have lots of zooming flexibility and you can maintain the quality.

Personally I would not buy the Zoom because the 12MP 1/2.3" sensor is honestly quite bad - I have the same sensor in my Mavic Air. It's what you would find on a smartphone or cheap point & shoot camera. The quality difference moving up to the 1"sensor is night and day, especially for stills. Video quality is actually pretty similar unless you are shooting in HQ 10bit D-Log, then the difference is again quite significant. 10bit HDR (HLG) video is a nice option too.

I agree with you on the zoom range - a 2X zoom is not nearly enough to be worth moving down to a tiny 1/2.3" sensor IMHO. The zoom also doesn't have an adjustable aperture (but it is variable based on the zoom which his not a good thing). The sacrifices you need to make for that 2X zoom are not at all proportional, at least for my usage.

Last edited:
Depends how it's done. For example if your final product is 1080P and you shot in 4K, you have lots of zooming flexibility and you can maintain the quality.

No professional anywhere anytime would use digital zoom. Defeats the purpose of shooting in dlog or raw e.g. minimising the use of software to create the image or video.

I’m not a photography expert but I was wondering if you digitally zoom a 20MP image (2 Pro) to the equivalent of 12MP ( 2 Zoom) isn’t it the same?

No professional anywhere anytime would use digital zoom. Defeats the purpose of shooting in dlog or raw e.g. minimising the use of software to create the image or video.

Well lots of professionals do exactly that, since you aren't losing quality if the final product is destined to be a lower resolution than the original footage, so I am not sure what else to tell you there. It is not uncommon to shoot in a higher resolution than the intended output resolution to maintain maximum flexibility in post production.

Lots of professionals also crop still images, which is just another form of digital zoom.

Like I said before, it depends how it's done. Nobody is suggesting you shoot in 1080P and blow it up 600% or something ridiculous like that.

I’m not a photography expert but I was wondering if you digitally zoom a 20MP image (2 Pro) to the equivalent of 12MP ( 2 Zoom) isn’t it the same?

I'll assume you're talking about equivalent focal lengths and not strictly megapixels because I think that is what you meant based on how you asked your question. If you simply down sampled a M2P image from 20MP to 12MP, it would always look better (all else equal) because that is one way to improve image quality and hide flaws (by down sampling higher resolution images). The focal length does not change in that example though.

To answer your question, it can be the same, but with the two sensors in question the resolution would not be equivalent. The M2Z actually has a higher pixel density than the M2P because of the sensor size difference (this isn't necessarily a positive thing - the M2Z sensor is so small that even with 12MP it has a very high relative pixel density). To put things in equal terms, a 12 MP 1/2.3" sensor is approximately equivalent to a 67MP full frame camera, and a 20 MP 1" sensor is approximately equivalent to a 54MP full frame camera. The crop factor on a 1/2.3" sensor is about 5.6 and the crop factor on a 1" sensor is 2.7 (relative to 35mm full frame which is how most equivalencies are done).

The M2P has a 28mm equivalent focal length, the M2Z has 24mm-48mm equivalent focal lengths. I say equivalent because even DJI expresses the focal length in full-frame terms which is the norm - the actual focal lengths of the lenses on each drone are much smaller (divide the focal lengths by their crop factor to get the actual focal length).

So if you wanted to crop a M2P (still) image (28mm FOV) to a 48mm FOV to match the maximum zoom of the M2Z, you would need to apply a crop factor of about 1.7, which would reduce the resolution from 20MP to about 6.9 MP, which is below the M2Z resolution all else equal. A M2P image cropped to 12MP would only get you to about 36mm equivalent.

It doesn't end there though, there are other considerations. The quality of the pixels on the M2P are much higher as they can collect more light (better dynamic range, better ISO performance), and also the M2P can maintain a constant F2.8 aperture where the M2Z drops to F3.8 at 48mm. So, there is some subjectivity involved still.

And that is just for stills. Video adds a whole new layer of complication. For example the M2P has a field of view (FOV) of about 77 degrees in FOV mode, and 55 degrees in HQ mode, which is effectively cropping without reducing resolution as both are 4K. The FOV's on the M2Z are 83 degrees (24mm) and 48 degrees (48mm) for comparison.

From my point of view anyway, and based on my usage, it's hard to make a case for the zoom. You can achieve almost the same FOV's with the M2P with a much better sensor, full aperture control, 10bit D-Log/HLG and much better stills.

I'll assume you're talking about equivalent focal lengths and not strictly megapixels because I think that is what you meant based on how you asked your question. If you simply down sampled a M2P image from 20MP to 12MP, it would always look better (all else equal) because that is one way to improve image quality and hide flaws (by down sampling higher resolution images). The focal length does not change in that example though.

To answer your question, it can be the same, but with the two sensors in question the resolution would not be equivalent. The M2Z actually has a higher pixel density than the M2P because of the sensor size difference (this isn't necessarily a positive thing - the M2Z sensor is so small that even with 12MP it has a very high relative pixel density). To put things in equal terms, a 12 MP 1/2.3" sensor is approximately equivalent to a 67MP full frame camera, and a 20 MP 1" sensor is approximately equivalent to a 54MP full frame camera. The crop factor on a 1/2.3" sensor is about 5.6 and the crop factor on a 1" sensor is 2.7 (relative to 35mm full frame which is how most equivalencies are done).

The M2P has a 28mm equivalent focal length, the M2Z has 24mm-48mm equivalent focal lengths. I say equivalent because even DJI expresses the focal length in full-frame terms which is the norm - the actual focal lengths of the lenses on each drone are much smaller (divide the focal lengths by their crop factor to get the actual focal length).

So if you wanted to crop a M2P (still) image (28mm FOV) to a 48mm FOV to match the maximum zoom of the M2Z, you would need to apply a crop factor of about 1.7, which would reduce the resolution from 20MP to about 6.9 MP, which is below the M2Z resolution all else equal. A M2P image cropped to 12MP would only get you to about 36mm equivalent.

It doesn't end there though, there are other considerations. The quality of the pixels on the M2P are much higher as they can collect more light (better dynamic range, better ISO performance), and also the M2P can maintain a constant F2.8 aperture where the M2Z drops to F3.8 at 48mm. So, there is some subjectivity involved still.

And that is just for stills. Video adds a whole new layer of complication. For example the M2P has a field of view (FOV) of about 77 degrees in FOV mode, and 55 degrees in HQ mode, which is effectively cropping without reducing resolution as both are 4K. The FOV's on the M2Z are 83 degrees (24mm) and 48 degrees (48mm) for comparison.

From my point of view anyway, and based on my usage, it's hard to make a case for the zoom. You can achieve almost the same FOV's with the M2P with a much better sensor, full aperture control, 10bit D-Log/HLG and much better stills.

Hi CanadaDrone,

Wow, what a detailed and thorough explanation. You actually gave me more credit than I deserved because I was naively thinking it was just the pixel differences. Thanks for the expert analysis.

Ken

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Hi CanadaDrone,

Wow, what a detailed and thorough explanation. You actually gave me more credit than I deserved because I was naively thinking it was just the pixel differences. Thanks for the expert analysis.

Ken

Glad you found it helpful Thumbswayup

Agree on the digital zoom. Horrid.

I own both a Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom, and I've found that the zoom is quite useful in some applications (easy for me to say since I have the best of both worlds and don't have to justify one over the other, I know).

When I shoot cars traveling or things on a trail, as an example, I need to hover at above the tree line or above the highest obstacle. I can do this and zoom in and get a great shot with zero post-processing. I am pressed for time in my personal life and this is a hobby, so I don't like to spend time post-processing.

So, in my humble opinion, the zoom does have some things to offer for some in its own way. If I had to decide between the 2, I'd probably keep my Zoom since I rarely fly at night and find the video quality of the Zoom to be extremely good during the day.

Reactions: ff22
Zoom does 2x optical and 2x dig =4x in 1080p.
I cannot even tell when optical stops and digital starts.
Great for us recreational flyers

Reactions: ff22
Zoom does 2x optical and 2x dig =4x in 1080p.
I cannot even tell when optical stops and digital starts.
Great for us recreational flyers

DJI claims that the digital zoom in 1080 is lossless. That is why you can't tell.

How they accomplish that is simply by using cropped 4K footage, which is effectively lossless zoom if the output is 1080P. This is what I was trying to explain earlier to the people saying digital zoom was "useless" or "horrid", but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom