DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Wide Angle Lens

Sounds too good to be true at that price. But this might be just one of those situations where it's better to get the DJI version than 3rd. party. Presumably this was developed by Hasselblad as a seemless extension on their camera system. Filters are one thing, lenses are quite another. Anyway, the proof will be in the pudding.

And yet, we still don't now if this is ancillary or substitutes the original 24 mm ... (I mostly guess the first).
Such lenses in the SLR/SLM world often heavily reduce the quality of the original lens.

I am looking forward to seeing some samples.

Reactions: christangey
And yet, we still don't now if this is ancillary or substitutes the original 24 mm ... (I mostly guess the first).
Such lenses in the SLR/SLM world often heavily reduce the quality of the original lens.

I am looking forward to seeing some samples.
Yes I must admit I've been in the camera business for about 30 years, broadcast/cine cameras, DSLRs, drones, action cams but I've never seen a clip on/screw on lens that doesn't have an issue.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Yeah, especially going wide angle, you suffer from vignetting, softening towards the corners, fringing, etc. whereas such lenses for the macro world often were quite feasible. ;)

If the quality is as good as predicted & from the sample, it will be a no-brainer. I preordered ... mostly for video & mostly in close proximity :)

Cheers, Jon

I pre-ordered here, just to get my place in line:

I don't expect this lens to be available soon. Even if it does, it is very likely in limited quantity, and sold out quickly everywhere.
Thank you for the link, skywalker. I would expect it to be an auxiliary lens, meaning it works with the current lens to alter the focal length. I usually avoid these, but in this case, it would be an inexpensive way to get ultra wide. I hope the image quality is acceptable, if not, back it goes. As for flying higher, there are times in the air that you can't get further back, such as photographing a building with trees behind that don't allow full coverage.

I placed the order immediately when I saw its existence online, knowing it is one feature that separates Mavic 3 from all other models in DJI's product line. There is no equivalent of such a super wide angle lens, even in DJI's expensive, professional-grade lens for Zenmure X5S/X7 cameras.

Just FYI and to clarify this, Laowa makes a 9mm lens for the X7 which has an extremely wide field of view and yet remains rectilinear. It is a wider field of view than an M3 with the adapter (113° vs 108°).

I use the 9mm often with my X7 and it is a stunning image- especially when near foreground elements or flying thru urban canyons, etc.

Just FYI and to clarify this, Laowa makes a 9mm lens for the X7 which has an extremely wide field of view and yet remains rectilinear. It is a wider field of view than an M3 with the adapter (113° vs 108°).

I use the 9mm often with my X7 and it is a stunning image- especially when near foreground elements or flying thru urban canyons, etc.
I used to have the X5S & the Laowa 7.5mm lens & that was great & for me a little too wide & now have the Laowa 9mm & I like it better. Would be nice to at least start to see real world sample from the M3 Wide-Angle lens.

Cheers, Jon

Reactions: kodiak
Jon, I agree. It seems people in China are using them already. Hopefully that means they start becoming available here too. I preordered on day one. I plan on using it a lot unless it has some major optical issues or problems. For sure we will need some kind of ND filter solution though.

why not panos instead of a WA adapter?

Would be great if they let you configure the panos, so you can set the number of rows and columns.

It will be interesting to see the quality of the photos from this 15mm lens. I have a feeling there could be a lot of edge sharpness lost (of what little there already is).
I also thought about losing sharpness on the edges… but more so, I wonder if we will see the props in the upper corners more often?

I sometimes see them in footage… mostly probably from forward flying drones and / or with an upward tilted gimbal, of course.

But with a wider angle, maybe you also see the props more often?

Edit: Do you think the „bra“ will still fit with this wide angle adapter installed or do we have to switch back to the normal lens cover?

Last edited:
I got a email last night saying it is now available in limited quantity's. I would like to see some examples though before i pull the trigger and order.

What is the subject in WA shot? Usually landscapes.

what is the subject usually in a drone shot? Usually landscapes, architecture, things that don‘t move.

What is the subject in WA shot? Usually landscapes.

what is the subject usually in a drone shot? Usually landscapes, architecture, things that don‘t move.

Waterfalls, wildlife, vehicles, people, foliage blowing in the wind, etc. All commonly in drone shots :)

Wildlife not so great before the 7x lenses.

waterfall also not great unless it’s the Niagara Falls or some other big fall, though the moisture may not be good for the drone or the lens.

Does anyone actually HAVE the Wide angle adapter lens? It has a status of "coming soon" everywhere, and I canceled my order through Moment, the only place that discounted it from $179 to $149, but never actually got it.

Promised for "late November", then "early December" then "Late December" then January, I gave up.. a good deal is only good if the product materializes.

Amazon shows "out of Stock", others show "Pre-order" some with vague "Arriving in January"

I was (am) very interested in the creative potential of a really wide perspective from the M3. But this thing is more vaporware than product.

If anyone know where these actually exist for purchase I would be grateful to learn where that might be. For now, it's like Autel announced it, lol!

Wildlife not so great before the 7x lenses.

waterfall also not great unless it’s the Niagara Falls or some other big fall, though the moisture may not be good for the drone or the lens.

Try to think outside the box.

screenshot.jpg

seljalandsfoss-most-instagrammed-waterfalls-world-1200x855-1.jpg

Does anyone actually HAVE the Wide angle adapter lens? It has a status of "coming soon" everywhere, and I canceled my order through Moment, the only place that discounted it from $179 to $149, but never actually got it.

Promised for "late November", then "early December" then "Late December" then January, I gave up.. a good deal is only good if the product materializes.

Amazon shows "out of Stock", others show "Pre-order" some with vague "Arriving in January"

I was (am) very interested in the creative potential of a really wide perspective from the M3. But this thing is more vaporware than product.

If anyone know where these actually exist for purchase I would be grateful to learn where that might be. For now, it's like Autel announced it, lol!

Case just released the first 3rd party wide angle adapter lens for Mavic 3. Unfortunately it is currently only available for sale in China.

There are two other 3rd party wide angle adapter lens for Mavic 3, just showed up on AliExpress:

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arm1