DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic age of retirement

Hmm, well, not to be competitive....but I live near Toronto, Canada. I'm in Thailand now. I was in Vietnam 3 weeks ago, and I'll be in Los Angeles next week.

Perhaps getting a lot of use out of it suits some lifestyles better than others.
Yeah i'm not rich.,..Nor do I have a job that travels..

It's all perspective though. I know people in the NYC area that would KILL to have the amount of airspace you have to fly in.
I know, but the mavic is about video, not just flying. You can only take so many videos of empty space.. I can fly my race drone around here without ever getting bored but the mavic is limited to what it does which makes it constraining once you produce so many videos of the same area..

Yea don't worry about durability, it's surprisingly well built. I have over 108h and 2300km on mine. Flies perfectly despite numerous crashes and flying in the rain. I've only replaced props (many times) and the ribbon cables twice.

I was intending to buy a Phantom 4 and came across the Mavic while doing my research. I know the camera isn't as good, but I'm a hobby photographer, not a pro, and it was the portability of the Mavic that swung my decision. As you say, love at first sight.
You might be surprised to learn how many are using the Mavic for professional work, myself included. The camera is actually better than many used for pro work a short time ago.

Reactions: Kilrah
I know, but the mavic is about video, not just flying. You can only take so many videos of empty space.. I can fly my race drone around here without ever getting bored but the mavic is limited to what it does which makes it constraining once you produce so many videos of the same area..
I did many flight hours from my front yard. Yes Mavic is about video not just flying. That’s why I spend so much time learning about flight modes, cinematic video and many other great things. Now I am learning how to edit my videos. That’s what make this hobby great

Reactions: KimAllen
Yea don't worry about durability, it's surprisingly well built. I have over 108h and 2300km on mine. Flies perfectly despite numerous crashes and flying in the rain. I've only replaced props (many times) and the ribbon cables twice.
Good to hear that. My concern was about the wear and tear of the Mavic and was thinking if it falls from the sky and hit someone or damage property it can cause big damage

You might be surprised to learn how many are using the Mavic for professional work, myself included. The camera is actually better than many used for pro work a short time ago.
I've examined some of the photos I've taken with the Mavic at full size and they're as good as any I've taken with my DSLR. The sheer beauty of the Mavic is the fact I can use it to get shots from heights and angles that would otherwise be impossible. I love it for that reason. And having a video option is the icing on the cake.

Reactions: Gray_seagull
I did many flight hours from my front yard. Yes Mavic is about video not just flying. That’s why I spend so much time learning about flight modes, cinematic video and many other great things. Now I am learning how to edit my videos. That’s what make this hobby great
Video is something I'm looking forward to. I've always preferred still photography, but at 57 I'm still up for learning new things

That said, I expect the next version of the Mavic will have a better camera. I don't expect any big changes to the airframe -- it's so well designed I really couldn't ask for improvements. But if you find yourself hoping for better pictures/video, you may retire your existing one long before it's worn out.

How about folding/extending legs to keep it out of the Turf/Firma
How about Side sensors that you can toggle on or off
ATTi Flight on or off
.......yes better optic of corse
The quieter longer flight..? (Platinum MP) Ok If they want to throw that in sure Not a deal breaker
But to DJI if your next MP does not come with at least 2 out of the 4.
I'll PASS. ...
..........................cR

How about folding/extending legs to keep it out of the Turf/Firma
How about Side sensors that you can toggle on or off
ATTi Flight on or off
.......yes better optic of corse
The quieter longer flight..? (Platinum MP) Ok If they want to throw that in sure Not a deal breaker
But to DJI if your next MP does not come with at least 2 out of the 4.
I'll PASS. ...
..........................cR

Well, to each his own. Extending legs will effect it's compactness, which to me is it's most outstanding feature. Plus I've had none of the problems that extended landing gear are supposed to address. If the ground is too uneven, I simply hand launch or hand catch.

Likewise the sensors. I turn mine off, finding them a hindrance more than a help.

ATTI flight would be a nice option, but not a deal breaker.

Longer flight is about battery technology, which isn't really DJIs area... But perhaps Elon Musk will change that world.

I would think that making the Mavic more idiot- proof would just make me a bigger idiot.

I would think that making the Mavic more idiot- proof would just make me a bigger idiot.
couldn't agree more. Big part of fun is when I say OMG I'm gonna loose it then miraculously I bring it home.

I just got my Mavic for a few months and had only 2 flights. But it's good to have an idea about the lifespan of a Mavic. Good question.

But I bet y
I live in South Dakota to go any where other than local means traveling 250 miles east or 140 miles west. there is literally nothing in between. And I can't afford the gas money or the time to do that every time I want to fly.
I bet you have way less restrictions than those of us who live near the swamp. I mean Washington DC... :)

At 67 years of age, I'm still learning tons, and the Mavic is a part of that curve. Longevity of the MP is going to be variable, depending on many factors. Maintenance will be a fundamental and watching the motor condition and batteries are a major part of that. Electronics are a whole other matter, and can last a few minutes up to lasting essentially indefinitely. Might be interesting to see what the mean time between failures (MTBF) specs are on the motors and other components. In my work facility, I have an original computer (hard drive included) that is still working well on Windows 95, and that in a dusty environment. Occasional maintenance, and it just keeps on chugging. It is likely that if you don't have crashes, and keep your MP maintained, it can easily outlast you.

After over a hundred hours on my MP, I'm still on the original props and 4 batteries. I haven't even cleaned the lens yet since it has not encountered enough dust or bugs to get contaminated. I've got a lot of ideas on where to fly next and the list is not getting any shorter - if only I had the time.

I'm part of a club that is mostly us "old guys" mostly flying fixed-wing RC, but in the Mavic, I see a whole new crop of youngsters (sorry folks), gals included, who are excited about this technology. We gotta love it.

Keeping the prop side up!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev