DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Question

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
While flying over a flooded playground I noticed I had to constantly nudge my mavic up , especially when hovering or else it would have drifted down into the water .
I was operating at a height of 5 - 10 feet . Is this normal for the mavic air over water ? Apologies if this has been asked before.

Reactions: Pilotti100
That's interesting... one of my first training flights to learn how to fly at a diagonal and keep straight. At times I bet I wasn't more than 1 foot off the surface of the water and I was within a foot or so of the tumbling water of the weir. I had the VPS turned off (disabled) and was using the sticks with caution - tripod mode is one of my defaults now, to smooth out movements. I still haven't mastered video editing though.

MY FIRST EVER PROPER FLIGHT. First flight was in our garden, 20 feet in each direction to learn the stick control.

Another attempt at flying, a couple of months later having watched more tutorial videos. This was for my fishing club. I need someone to work with me and be a fisherman for the next attempt. If you look at the surface of the water you will notice the ripples made by the rotors!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilotti100
That was some brave flying.Man after my own heart.
I get what people were saying about keeping above 15 feet but that would not have worked for some of the shots.(see 1.12 & 2.05)
Project ended up well enough though so happy with the results despite the scares.
Can be viewed here if interested

Reactions: KingRat
That was some brave flying.Man after my own heart.
I get what people were saying about keeping above 15 feet but that would not have worked for some of the shots.(see 1.12 & 2.05)
Project ended up well enough though so happy with the results despite the scares.
Can be viewed here if interested

How did you get it to under the slide without stopping? I tried to do some flight amongst trees, but it just stopped and wouldn't budge because of the proximity warnings. I don't know how to overcome them.

How did you get it to under the slide without stopping? I tried to do some flight amongst trees, but it just stopped and wouldn't budge because of the proximity warnings. I don't know how to overcome them.
Simples , just go into the menu located under the 3 dots on the upper right hand corner of the screen , tap on the controller icon and deselect all the collision protection options. Your flying without training wheels then and you do so at your own risk. If you haven't mastered your drone well enough to know how this is done , I would advise waiting until you are more familiar with it before attempting this kinda thing . Learn to walk before you run as they say.
A damaged drone is a costly thing to fix . Best of luck to you.

Simples , just go into the menu located under the 3 dots on the upper right hand corner of the screen , tap on the controller icon and deselect all the collision protection options. Your flying without training wheels then and you do so at your own risk. If you haven't mastered your drone well enough to know how this is done , I would advise waiting until you are more familiar with it before attempting this kinda thing . Learn to walk before you run as they say.
A damaged drone is a costly thing to fix . Best of luck to you.

Thanks for that.
I am very confident in being to fly the thing - it is understanding and remembering where the things are that is the difficult bit. I spent nearly an entire battery trying to adjust the camera the other day while it just hovered there patiently waiting for me to find the right selection area! All I wanted to do was set it to take a picture every so often and adjust the exposure because I always shoot RAW in manual shutter and at 100 ISO, only at 100 ISO as well. I spent several hours setting up the sticks to be very insensitive - to slow everything down - but that was back in April, and I would have to look it up to do it again!

One piece of advice - Don't forget to re enable all the anti collision options after your flight.
They will stay disabled until you do ,and this may trip you up next time you go flying , especially if you forgot they were off. Prop guards are a must when doing the forrest flying thing , gives you a fighting chance to recover if you bump into something.
Post back your video when you complete your flight.
I enjoy low level flight videos in unusual places . A lot high altitude flights can be quite dull and repetitive.Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ224 and KingRat

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear