DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air: Would you buy it again?

floyd

Reactions
I'm thinking about getting my son either a used Mavic Pro, which I currently own, or a new Mavic Air. I've watched all the youtube reviews, and the consensus seems to be if this is your first drone to go with the Air. But I'm a little concerned about WiFi only transmission.

For those who have owned their Mavic Air for a couple months and the honeymoon period has worn off, would you buy it again? Why or why not?

Since a used MP is about the same price as a new MA, which would you get for a first-time drone pilot?

Thanks for your thoughts and insights!

Edit: There aren't a lot of used MA for sale on eBay, so folks must be happy with them or don't want to take a financial hit by selling.

Reactions: sappercap
I would buy the air again and especially for a first time pilot. It has much better obstacle avoidance (I’m not a proponent of relying on it though) and is very stable in flight.

Reactions: floyd
I have 1, but would I buy another? Maybe.
Back ups are a cool thing to have.:cool:

Yes, I have both at the moment, and love both of them. Wall-e and Eve haha.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I would without doubt buy it again. But I also have a P4P and if i would have to choose i would miss the 1" sensor if i "only" had the Air.
But between MP and Air i would definitely choose the Air.

Well... if you get the air, you will have the added advantage that you'll have both. You can choose the Air for the improved camera quality, and the Pro for the supposedly better range... :-/

I certainly would again. It's just so convenient to use. I had the same doubts about the Wifi transmission at first, but it turns out it's quite solid in most areas. The Mavic Pro goes further yes, but let's be honest, unless your son plans to fly the drone miles out of sight, the Air is more than capable to reach the distance most people require. I've personally never flown further than 500 meters, which is well within its limits. Granted, you're not flying within a highly Wifi congested area of course.
The ease of use and the improvements on design (like the much improved gimbal) make up for any shortcomings it has towards the Mavic Pro.

I think for me the shorter flight time of the MA is an issue and lack of occusync for better signal is a drawback.

I find myself always going back to my MA or MPP for their reliability, both haven't missed a beat

Probably yes... I really like how compact it is and how you can just carry it in your coat pocket. Compared to my Phantom 3 that's a major advantage. I will probably switch to the new Mavic Pro 2 though because of the camera sensor. I mainly take photos with it and the Air photo quality is OK but not brilliant.

Well... if you get the air, you will have the added advantage that you'll have both. You can choose the Air for the improved camera quality, and the Pro for the supposedly better range... :-/
Only 2 color presets, missing multiple automated flight modes - POI etc. No telemetry on controller. Poorer signal strenght than MP. If you can get a MP for the price of a MA it's a no brainer.

Reactions: JoostGT3
Oh yes. Love it. Just a great small portable package with decent image quality - better IQ than the MP. :)

Absolutely I would buy it again, size, ease of use, image quality... There are always things that one wishes were improved, but for the foreseeable future, if my mavic air is irrevocably lost I will replace it with the same.

Until the next dji super drone is released. There was a YouTube video that it had unlimited battery life, could travel a at Mach speed, livestream 3D at IMAX quality and travel in space. .

Reactions: Coskier
I'm thinking about getting my son either a used Mavic Pro, which I currently own, or a new Mavic Air. I've watched all the youtube reviews, and the consensus seems to be if this is your first drone to go with the Air. But I'm a little concerned about WiFi only transmission.

For those who have owned their Mavic Air for a couple months and the honeymoon period has worn off, would you buy it again? Why or why not?

Since a used MP is about the same price as a new MA, which would you get for a first-time drone pilot?

Thanks for your thoughts and insights!

Edit: There aren't a lot of used MA for sale on eBay, so folks must be happy with them or don't want to take a financial hit by selling.

On a slightly different subject, given there are red, white and black versions of the Mavic Air, what colour would anyone get and why?

I would absolutely! I love the portability and still having 4k camera.

Seems the OVERWHELMING consensus is folks love their Air! Thanks for all the feedback. Some mentioned the camera was better in the Air. I thought the Air and Mavic Pro had the same camera and sensor, so why would the Air's image quality be better?

I would buy it again in a heart beat! There is not a problem- at least for me with the Wi-Fi signals. I have had no problems and this thing almost flys itself. Very stable. I got the red color as I can see it much better.

Reactions: Tony O
Seems the OVERWHELMING consensus is folks love their Air! Thanks for all the feedback. Some mentioned the camera was better in the Air. I thought the Air and Mavic Pro had the same camera and sensor, so why would the Air's image quality be better?

The reason is the imaging chip; the MA use the same as the one in the Phantom 4 Pro. The MP uses an older one.

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
I would buy it again in a heart beat! There is not a problem- at least for me with the Wi-Fi signals. I have had no problems and this thing almost flys itself. Very stable. I got the red color as I can see it much better.

Thanks. That was my thought too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown