DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic and solar storms, a serious analysis

PaoloOne

Reactions
Hi guys,
I'd like this forum to be productive for all but so far I had only silly answers on the FB groups making jokes about my concerns about the high Kp index and connection problems.
Today and yesterday I flew my Mavic and had poor signal with lots of micro-disconnections, one was particularly strong and lost the app connection for a while, my logs are clearly showing this events, especially when comparing them to very similar flights on other days.
There are voices around that relate connection problems to the new app but I think that the reason is the Sun and the storms occurring this days.

Is there any good willing person that would like to compare its data and to analyze them together, this is especially interesting for flights done yesterday in extremely northern areas like Canada or near the equator (where I am), areas know to be more affected by magnetic interferences.

Thanks for your collaboration!

This was a problematic flight:
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
and this in the same location on a normal day:

This was the flight in which had to restart the app and have lesser data:

Reactions: Lelantos
I don't need to analyze them. There is a higher amount of solar activity going on right now. I only locked on to 11 sats to day. When I checked UAV forecast, I saw a KP index of 4 and with an estimate of 12 satellites lockable.

Reactions: PaoloOne
I don't need to analyze them. There is a higher amount of solar activity going on right now. I only locked on to 11 sats to day. When I checked UAV forecast, I saw a KP index of 4 and with an estimate of 12 satellites lockable.
Thanks buddy, that is already a good serious answer not making fun of my concerns!

PaoloOne, for what it's worth I was flying in Santa Barbara yesterday at sunset over the ocean, and I did get some strange micro-disconnections. In a sort of quicker, shorter manner than usually happens with disconnections

PaoloOne, for what it's worth I was flying in Santa Barbara yesterday at sunset over the ocean, and I did get some strange micro-disconnections. In a sort of quicker, shorter manner than usually happens with disconnections
Can you share your flight log, please?

No problems with mine, I got 18 sats today.
On 6 flights between today and yesterday I had only one disconnect notification reported by the app, all seemed flawless, if you analyse your logs you may discover another situation.

Solar activity affects users differently in different locations. I for one usually get 18-20 sats, but having only received 11, and I know for a fact my Mavic is not at fault. I saw that I was getting considerable interference today in my location. I'm way up north, close to the Canadian border.

Solar activity affects users differently in different locations. I for one usually get 18-20 sats, but having only received 11, and I know for a fact my Mavic is not at fault. I saw that I was getting considerable interference today in my location. I'm way up north, close to the Canadian border.
Any log to share? I just would like to see if somebody had all this micro-disconnections like mine. Thx

Any log to share? I just would like to see if somebody had all this micro-disconnections like mine. Thx
My log won't show you any disconnect, just that the signal degrades earlier than it usually does, and that I had a surprisingly low number of sats.

My log won't show you any disconnect, just that the signal degrades earlier than it usually does, and that I had a surprisingly low number of sats.
Do you use airdata too? This disconnects that you see in my logs are not reported by the DJI GO app, it seems that the original app is indeed less verbose.

Do you use airdata too? This disconnects that you see in my logs are not reported by the DJI GO app, it seems that the original app is indeed less verbose.
Yes I do. I primarily don't share my logs that reveal my personal location. But you won't see any disconnects.

No wonder my mavic is only getting a max of 13 satellites yesterday and ATTI mode indoor when i usually get 10 indoor and 20 outdoor at the same spot. I thought my Mavic is crapping up on me.

A message to the op. This subject was always of interest to me and I've wondered how sensitive our equipment is to this very real interference. The question is, how do you propose scientifically we correlate solar storm interference with issues we see during flight? Is there something we are looking for specifically? Is there a database of solar interference time and location?

A message to the op. This subject was always of interest to me and I've wondered how sensitive our equipment is to this very real interference. The question is, how do you propose scientifically we correlate solar storm interference with issues we see during flight? Is there something we are looking for specifically? Is there a database of solar interference time and location?
UAV Forecast gives you an on the spot Kp Index. Anything above 5 is serious, and will likely crap your GPS out completely. Today was 4 and while I didn't have problems with my aircraft, I certainly noticed.

Reactions: PaoloOne
Solar storms usually don't cause any, but sometimes they are strong enough to cause GPS interference, and in some cases EM interference.
It depends from the latitude, above 60˚ and around the tropics are areas more influenced by this kind of events, this is why lots of people say that the Kp index is not relevant.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM