DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Crashed & Destroyed

Raw Bandrews

Reactions
Hello, I am new to owning a drone and just bought a Mavic that I received this week. Flew it only a couple of times and today it went into an uncontrollable flip and spin move then crashed from about 80'. The drone was completely destroyed. I have DJI Refresh Care so I can get it replaced but now I'm almost too nervous to fly again. Here are details on the situation;
-flew earlier in the day and had a very minor crash into a small tree trunk, lost 2 propellers and replaced. One motor seemed a little seized up when I changed prop?
- did an IMU calibration on my kitchen island, seemed fine
- calibrated compass on sidewalk (seems that might be a bad move)
- took off from front of house flew to the park across the street and as I was climbing that when the crash happened.
The flight logs mention a few troubling messages;
Attitude too large
Aircraft tilting check for damage
Satellite Positioning Off
Motor Obstructed
Motor Idling (loose or Missing Propeller)

I'm hoping someone out there can help???

Im guessing that maybe when the propellers broke the little tab did also inside the locks them on. It eventually jammed after running or maybe it was dragging when it was spinning and created heat and melted, gluing the motor together. Maybe you bent the shaft. Dragging motor sounds like the culprit though for sure. Does the motor still spin now or is it still dragging?

Hello, I am new to owning a drone and just bought a Mavic that I received this week. Flew it only a couple of times and today it went into an uncontrollable flip and spin move then crashed from about 80'. The drone was completely destroyed. I have DJI Refresh Care so I can get it replaced but now I'm almost too nervous to fly again. Here are details on the situation;
-flew earlier in the day and had a very minor crash into a small tree trunk, lost 2 propellers and replaced. One motor seemed a little seized up when I changed prop?
- took off from front of house flew to the park across the street and as I was climbing that when the crash happened.
Attitude too large
Motor Obstructed

Dude...that sucks. Thanks for posting!
I crashed mine on day one too, but seems just the propellers were damaged. Turns out the front facing sensors don't work at night!!
Will definitely spend some time making sure no broken or cracked tabs on the rotors and no crap got into the motors.

Any diagnostics any one is aware of for motor testing. Would hate to see mine seize up or drag.

Reactions: Raw Bandrews
Ouch sorry for your loss, but more important I hope you will be able to figure out what went wrong. Software error, Hardware error or Pilot error? In any case I hope you will be flying soon again. Keep us informed about the cause of the sudden crash. We might as well learn from it.

Happy Flying
Brewsky

Sounds like your first encounter with the tree caused more damage than you initially thought, thus causing the second accident. Did you start getting all those error messages right at the beginning of your second flight? If so, it would have been wise to abort the flight immediately rather than risking further damage to self or others.

Im guessing that maybe when the propellers broke the little tab did also inside the locks them on. It eventually jammed after running or maybe it was dragging when it was spinning and created heat and melted, gluing the motor together. Maybe you bent the shaft. Dragging motor sounds like the culprit though for sure. Does the motor still spin now or is it still dragging?
Thanks very much for your response and I think you may have figured it out. I inspected the propeller from the first small crash and noticed that one of the tabs was broken off. That piece must have remained lodged in the motor. I do recall that when I attached the new propeller to the back left arm it did not quite spin correctly. It moved with some resistance but I moved it by hand a couple of times and it seemed to "free up". The fact that the Mavic went into a cray couple seconds of flipping and twisting I'm guessing suggests that it was a propeller/motor seizing.

You can find instructions for uploading your TXT flight log here. Post a link back here after you upload it.

Sounds like your first encounter with the tree caused more damage than you initially thought, thus causing the second accident. Did you start getting all those error messages right at the beginning of your second flight? If so, it would have been wise to abort the flight immediately rather than risking further damage to self or others.
I'm starting to think that the tree incident was worse than it looked. I did find out that one of the locking tabs from the propeller was missing and probably stayed in the motor. Unfortunately I am so new to this that I was watching the drone and not paying enough attention (obviously) to my screen and the warning messages. I'm trying to get the flight log uploaded here so other users can benefit.

Reactions: ghedgepath
Bottom line, land and inspect at the first sign of any trouble. If you have a crash, INSPECT EVERYTHING before flying again, and make your first flights low and slow test flights in a safe, open area.

Reactions: jdcntulsa
Thanks for sharing, and sorry you had a bad experience. I hope that when new fliers are reading the posts about crashed Mavics, that they don't get scared and think that this product is wildly unpredictable. Almost every crash I've read is pilot error. Accidents happen to experienced and novice fliers alike and most are great learning experiences. But PLEASE, read the manual and learn about proper calibration, when to fly, where to fly, etc. Our community will be better for it!

Bottom line, land and inspect at the first sign of any trouble. If you have a crash, INSPECT EVERYTHING before flying again, and make your first flights low and slow test flights in a safe, open area.
Thanks, that's good advice. The first crash seemed so minor I did not imagine it would have caused so much trouble. I'm new to this so I have only been flying in an empty park across from my house.

Reactions: jloud
Thanks, that's good advice. The first crash seemed so minor I did not imagine it would have caused so much trouble. I'm new to this so I have only been flying in an empty park across from my house.

You are dealing with a sophisticated piece of equipment that uses multiple sensors to continuously monitor hundreds of data points per second to make split second decisions about how to maintain its heading, position, course, and altitude. Anything goes wrong with any sensor or any flight control/surface (primarily props and their motors), and things can get out of control very quickly.

Reactions: jdcntulsa
You are dealing with a sophisticated piece of equipment that uses multiple sensors to continuously monitor hundreds of data points per second to make split second decisions about how to maintain its heading, position, course, and altitude. Anything goes wrong with any sensor or any flight control/surface (primarily props and their motors), and things can get out of control very quickly.
It honestly caught me completely off guard, it was flying fine then in 2 seconds it was crashing towards earth. I'm glad that the only flying I was doing was in the empty park across from our house. I'm going to use this as a valuable lesson.

Reactions: joet
Attitude too large
Motor Obstructed

Ok, I was able to find my flight data on the DJI APP and here (if anyone cares) is the sequence of messages I received in the short flight
- strong interference now. fly with caution
- taking off
- home point recorded, return to home altitude 98ft.

I then flew across the street into the park at a height of 50', climbing slowly to 72'
- GEO You are in a warning zone (private recreational airports) fly with caution
Then while climbing to 143' got this message
- motor idling (loose or missing propeller)
- do not use standard propellers at high altitudes

This is when the Mavic went into a crazy spin and flip and crashed to earth (246' from myself) when it landed on the ground I got these last messages
- motor obstructed
- weak signal, avoid being blocked or adjust the antenna direction

You can find instructions for uploading your TXT flight log here. Post a link back here after you upload it.
Dropbox - DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-01-29_10-43-53.DAT
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvbzu8b769ysti3/DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-01-29_10-43-53.DAT?dl=0
Hi, sorry it took a while but I was able to get the DAT file of the crash from my Mavic. You can click on the link to access it. I could not figure out how to convert to TXT (not the most computer savy) but hopefully you can figure out what happened.

Dropbox - DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-01-29_10-43-53.DAT
Hi, sorry it took a while but I was able to get the DAT file of the crash from my Mavic. You can click on the link to access it. I could not figure out how to convert to TXT (not the most computer savy) but hopefully you can figure out what happened.
This isn't the right .DAT since there is no motorStart. It's probably the .DAT that got created as the result of turning on the Mavic to retrieve the .DAT you want. Look here for tips on getting the right .DAT

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111