DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic distance is a joke!

I'm on FW .900 and I get 4 miles if there is no trees/buildings in between . Maybe a mile if trees and houses in the way.

Reactions: mavic6611
I've flown over a mile across our farm, not so much as a blip.

But this was flat land with nothing around us for miles in any direction.

Can you try it in a deserted area mate?

Reactions: Hamltnlbue
I fly from a 13ft hight structure so I would have imagined this would make a huge positive difference to the signal. There's not alot of trees around here, I'd say more houses if anything
What is the structure made of? Any concrete? It may not be the bird that is getting the interference, but rather the RC. The fact that you flew in two different directions from the same location, and lost signal at the same range, points to the location of the RC. Try flying in the country to see if you can replicate your results.

^^ This ^^ -- You need to take it to a few locations and see if it's your location or something wrong with your RC. My money's on the former. Even with CE you should be able to get out over a mile.

Reactions: Vilco
I've flown over a mile across our farm, not so much as a blip.

But this was flat land with nothing around us for miles in any direction.

Can you try it in a deserted area mate?
I'll be flying next Wednesday over nothing but fields (weather permitting) so I'll check back in and let you know the outcome

Reactions: Ping^Spike
No problem with 2 miles on CE mode here. No drop outs or weak signal reports at all. Make sure your antennas are properly orientated and its clear air line of sight.

What is the structure made of? Any concrete? It may not be the bird that is getting the interference, but rather the RC. The fact that you flew in two different directions from the same location, and lost signal at the same range, points to the location of the RC. Try flying in the country to see if you can replicate your results.
It's made completely from wood. Kind of like a tree house without the tree.
I think you could be right though

^^ This ^^ -- You need to take it to a few locations and see if it's your location or something wrong with your RC. My money's on the former. Even with CE you should be able to get out over a mile.
Yes I agree, I'll re try elsewhere and give you an update

The only place I got upto 1.5km was at the great wall
I've flown;
Athens
Columbia
Florence
Pisa
Genoa
Ho Chi Minh
Mongolia
Penang
Russia
Taipei
Toulon
Uk

Reactions: NewDroneFan
Make sure your not in wifi mode I live in New York right next to power lines that stretch for miles I can fly over the power lines for at least 1.75 miles and probably more I just get nervous.

Have you got the aerials up ? I know ridiculous question, however read the forum, there are quite a lot of silly mistakes made, blaming the Mavic.

If not maybe a fault with the Mavic or RC.

Have you got the aerials up ? I know ridiculous question, however read the forum, there are quite a lot of silly mistakes made, blaming the Mavic.

If not maybe a fault with the Mavic or RC.
Hi, yes it's a fair question, but yes I always have the antennas up and in the correct position

Make sure your not in wifi mode I live in New York right next to power lines that stretch for miles I can fly over the power lines for at least 1.75 miles and probably more I just get nervous.
Hey, yes I'm definitely in rc mode, but thanks for the idea

Nearly every new firmware someone says range is reduced and someone else says it's the same if not better.
Before worrying too much see how it goes in a more favourable location.
You need to maintain theoretical line of sight, here it is easy to go well over a mile and it can do over 2 miles without signal loss - but that's with a near perfect open area.
Well I live right in the middle of nothing but trees all around and I can get 6 miles out with mine. Granted I'm boosted but still before when it was stock I was getting 3 miles easy.

When the mavic is airborne is it LOS (Line of sight) It doesn't matter if you can actually see it but is it at an angle that you would see it if you had a telescope or binoculars?
If anything is between you and the drone, range is reduced significantly.

When the mavic is airborne is it LOS (Line of sight) It doesn't matter if you can actually see it but is it at an angle that you would see it if you had a telescope or binoculars?
If anything is between you and the drone, range is reduced significantly.
Yes it's LOS

It's all highly dependent on the environment your flying in. From my place in the burbs I can often only get 0.5-.75 miles away before I start to get breakups. I am ground level and there are structures, trees, and lots of wifi/radio signal. If I go up towards 400ft I can double that distance but it's still not great. Now if I drive a couple of miles away towards the end of town where it's becomes more rural vineyard ares then 3+ miles is pretty easy to achieve.

Reactions: mavic6611
It's all highly dependent on the environment your flying in. From my place in the burbs I can often only get 0.5-.75 miles away before I start to get breakups. I am ground level and there are structures, trees, and lots of wifi/radio signal. If I go up towards 400ft I can double that distance but it's still not great. Now if I drive a couple of miles away towards the end of town where it's becomes more rural vineyard ares then 3+ miles is pretty easy to achieve.
I really am going to have to try it in another location

When you say that you have the antennas up what do you mean?

Like this?
2c36cfcbc90b09249d69064bdf992d09.jpg

Or like this?
54e8f4f5fb1bde52246e37233b1b259c.jpg

The flat side of the antennas should always be facing the AC, and you should adjust its positions to make sure of that

i.e. If the AC is directly over your head the first picture is the right position

Any other than that they should always be like the picture 2

Hope this helps

8ccb26850459d4c70e5cc46ddc77f499.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming