DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Early Impressions after a couple of months use.

Wacker2611

Reactions
Now a few of us lucky people have had this thing for a while, I thought it might be useful to post a few genuine end user pros and cons after a month or two's use.
Previously I had a P3A so in terms of DJI products I only have that to compare it to.
Flying ability and range : at least comparable to and sometimes better than my P3A. Definitely not as capable in the wind though, but manages to hold its own.
Ease of use: No contest. It's smaller, quieter, easier and quicker to setup and yet still comes with all that deep usability that we've all come to know and love.
Gimbal and camera: Definitely it's Achilles heel. We all have to face facts that the imaging setup in general is just not as robust or reliable as those with larger DJI products have got used to. After an RMA, mine is now solid enough, but still in very cold temperatures I still get a tiny bit of shake, particularly in tripod mode. I never had this problem with the P3A. Having said that, in most situations it's fine. Added to the fact that a lot of us are testing this thing out right in the middle of our Winters, in the harshest conditions it'll probably ever fly in.
RC: Another small con. I don't particularly like the fact that you have to charge the rc every 3-5 full flights and battery durability on the rc does worry me a bit. It truly is a work of art though, in terms of design.

All in all though, I'm more than happy with mine, I've just come to accept the Mavics small limitations.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
3-5 flights per RC charge? I run my mavic batteries down to 30%. Did 10 flights with 12% battery left on RC. You might have a battery issue.

Reactions: Achilles
RC: Another small con. I don't particularly like the fact that you have to charge the rc every 3-5 full flights and battery durability on the rc does worry me a bit. It truly is a work of art though, in terms of design.

You're having the same problem that I am.......the remote is constantly charging the battery on your phone, cutting the remote battery life way down. I might get 3 flights out of mine, but not much more. Certainly a flaw, maybe DJI can address it in a future software upgrade?

You're having the same problem that I am.......the remote is constantly charging the battery on your phone, cutting the remote battery life way down. I might get 3 flights out of mine, but not much more. Certainly a flaw, maybe DJI can address it in a future software upgrade?

Yup, it's an android issue that's for sure. I always click on mtp file sharing rather than charging in USB options as well, but it still drains the rc a bit too quick for my liking.

You would think that is a software update fix soon to come... how that got over looked is beside me but what about keeping a usb power bank in ur kit to easily charge it on the fly, from ur pocket if needed... for now at least. Or if u have the mavic battery cap with usb outs on it obviously just use that assuming u have a surplus mavic batt

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Wacker2611
Now a few of us lucky people have had this thing for a while, I thought it might be useful to post a few genuine end user pros and cons after a month or two's use.
Previously I had a P3A so in terms of DJI products I only have that to compare it to.
Flying ability and range : at least comparable to and sometimes better than my P3A. Definitely not as capable in the wind though, but manages to hold its own.
Ease of use: No contest. It's smaller, quieter, easier and quicker to setup and yet still comes with all that deep usability that we've all come to know and love.
Gimbal and camera: Definitely it's Achilles heel. We all have to face facts that the imaging setup in general is just not as robust or reliable as those with larger DJI products have got used to. After an RMA, mine is now solid enough, but still in very cold temperatures I still get a tiny bit of shake, particularly in tripod mode. I never had this problem with the P3A. Having said that, in most situations it's fine. Added to the fact that a lot of us are testing this thing out right in the middle of our Winters, in the harshest conditions it'll probably ever fly in.

All in all though, I'm more than happy with mine, I've just come to accept the Mavics small limitations.

I go 8-10 flights easy without charging the rc but I'm running iOS not android. Other than that, optics are def the Achilles heel of the Mavic, but still amazingly impressed by the platform overall.

Mavic - North Bay, CA

Reactions: Wacker2611

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89