Mavic Falls Short as Hand Held Gimbal Camera

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Lightsout, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Lightsout

Lightsout Well-Known Member

I was hoping to use the Mav is some instances as a hand Held camera, this test demonstrates that it really falls short and the gimbal does not work well when Hand held

I also learned that to use it as a hand held with legs folded you must 1dt start it up with legs extended then fold it for held held.

This was bad enough for me I just ordered the Osmo +

Here is the full artical Can you use the DJI Mavic Pro as a makeshift alternative to a handheld gimbal?

2. Kman

Kman Member

"Mavic falls short in doing something it wasn't designed to do" - should be the thread title.

3. DefaultIT

DefaultIT Well-Known Member

Yeah...with zero indication that this was ever a design goal, it's a little difficult to see how limited handheld performance constitutes "falling short"

Anyway you're gonna run into problems yawing it without input from the controller. Optimized for flight, not carry.

OneSunnyDay likes this.
  4. Lightsout

Lightsout Well-Known Member

There is the value now every one knows there have been several threads asking this question with folks that planned to use it like that including myself. Now they know

Kman likes this.
  5. LivinLarge

LivinLarge Member

I think folks were hoping that this hand held gimbal feature would match the ability of the Karma system. Even if this is not something everyone would use, it's nice to say we have that too. Even if it worked, it would have limited usefulness. You can't mount it to you head or chest and it has no audio.

6. m0j0

m0j0 Well-Known Member

I think if you are looking for that the choice is clearly the Karma.

7. Rick A

Rick A Member

I found the next video on resolution testing of the Mavic Pro exceptionally interesting....

Freddyflier likes this.
  8. CactusJackSlade

CactusJackSlade Well-Known Member

Interesting that the P4 and P4's work pretty well hand held.... although you look pretty silly following people around with a quadcopter...

DJI said "the algorithm is not designed for hand held use".... would be kinda cool if they added a hand held feature later on in some kind of non-flight static mode...

9. botasky

botasky Well-Known Member

I might try to strap the Mavic to my Glidecam HD2000, I'm not very good with the Glidecam, to have Mavic's 3 axis gimbals help keeps the horizon straight final result should be very good.

I don't think they would add a hand held feature because they still want to sell you the Osmo.

10. CactusJackSlade

CactusJackSlade Well-Known Member

You are probably right.... I would love to see this tiny Mavic camera/gimbal set up on a chest mount for mountain biking, skiing etc.... at the price they could produce them at they would eat GoPro alive...

11. Morgon

Morgon Active Member

Just out of curiosity, where did you hear this? Dan's video doesn't say anything of the sort that I noticed.