DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic fell into San Francisco Bay.. how to replace?

why be pissed at a friend?.. he'll do whats right, but I rarely get upset with friends, especially when something is an accident... as most things in life are.

You're a good friend. The first thing I did was to purchase insurance for instances just like what you described, minus the friend of course. It is after the fact but you will most likely have to purchase a Mavic straight out.

Reactions: AllDubyas
The Mavic does not have strong geo-fencing data built-in for Japan. You have to look it up yourself. The map I linked is produced by the government (ministry of land, infrastructure, transport, tourism). DJI has a similar dataset on their geo data maps website. However, even that is not complete, and local laws can impose additional NFZs; you should read up on it, because the fines are steep.

In the regulation area of this forum, I provide some other links for your reading.

A friend sent me a list of regs for Japan. I will post them here later.

First of all sorry for your lose of drone .
There must be 5 maybe 6 people talking about hand launching , I have no problem with this . But if one person fly 501 meters you get attacked by drone nerd police slating you off for ruing for every one , when clearly hand launching is against rules and dangerous . I wish all replies were like the ones on this topic sympathetic and helpful and maybe instructional in a good way .
To poster in the last week or so dji have relaunched drone only no RC no extras .
I don't think there would be any insurance against what you did , if you filled forms in 100% legal , after all your freind basically through drone in river .
This is a lesson in life . I'm currently siting with a hire car , I choose not to take the extra insurance for £150 and I'm facing losing over £1000 deposit . It hurts when something is our own fault .
If your freind can only afford $500 it's still a huge chunk towards a replacement and I'm sure you will both be OK but to all a friendship is worth more than any amount of money . I'm sure your freind never woke up that morning with the intention of costing you anything .
One day you will look back and smile about this .
I hope you purchase another drone and am looking forwards to seeing some great footage of the bridge

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Hand-launching or catching the Mavic is no big deal, but only if you have exercised this enough before at land in an open environment.
NEVER EVER would I allow this to a newbie who has never done before, even worse on a swaying boat!
That's total stupidness and I can't have pity here...

Reactions: Skyler
This should be titled "Friend dropped Mavic in SF Bay". I would hold onto the controller. I'm sure someone will break or misplace one.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Moral of the story. Practice in a safe spot what you are going to do in an unsafe spot.
You know what ASSUME does.......
Makes a *** out of U and ME.

Funny how there is a lot of responses about pity, anger.. none of this happened to us in real life, posters here must have quite difficult emotional control. After the drone dropped, I laughed in disbelief, my friend felt badly and apologized, and then I made a joke about commandeering his 60ft sailboat as a deposit. There was never a question of who would reimburse who, and there was definitely never a question about being upset. We kept sailing and took some beautiful pics of sf on our return to port, I'll post them here to hopefully give an idea of the positive vibe.. it's all good in the hood.. it was just an accident :). I'll cal Dji to see what they'll sell me today. Thanks for all the advice and assistance everyone.
bc7b0c3717a2126b89509b46c2dd5ad6.jpg
0d4d0c3d8bc971fffde493c0bf93965f.jpg
e3a35baaf277bdad0e8055e62f8ddca6.jpg
b31e89ce23ac1d4c35288fc2c9d795b9.jpg

I know hindsight is always 20/20 but it would've been a good idea to have your friend practice a hand launch on terra firma prior to boarding so he knows what to expect. Had he seen it fly prior to the toss?

More important than the launch is the recovery.

I know hindsight is always 20/20 but it would've been a good idea to have your friend practice a hand launch on terra firma prior to boarding so he knows what to expect. Had he seen it fly prior to the toss?

More important than the launch is the recovery.

to be honest.. he had hand launched it at least 3 times that day.. he somehow got freaked out and dropped it. as I mentioned above.. a brain fart is the best way I can describe it.

You can already buy Mavic only w/o RC but...for $899!!!
Looks like they raised the initial price of $750
Buy Mavic Accessories

That is bush league from DJI. They have the Mavic only for $899, and the RC controller only for $299. When the whole package cost $999 and that includes the chargers.
Just trying to squeeze more money out of someone who just lost or crashed their drone or controller.

That is bush league from DJI. They have the Mavic only for $899, and the RC controller only for $299. When the whole package cost $999 and that includes the chargers.
Just trying to squeeze more money out of someone who just lost or crashed their drone or controller.

I disagree. The market for the Mavic is really high. There are People still trying to get them for the first time.

I'm with the OP. No big deal on the lost bird. He took a calculated risk in taking off from the boat and another allowing his buddy to hold it. The first risk is acceptable to most here. The second isn't something I would do.

Buy a new one..store the experience in the your RAM and move on. Those reading get a lesson without needing to go through the experience personally. I call that history... Thanks for the lesson.

Options for buying a Mavic aren't great though it's a sellers market. Give it about 4 months and you will be able to get a used one or refurb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny how there is a lot of responses about pity, anger.. none of this happened to us in real life, posters here must have quite difficult emotional control. After the drone dropped, I laughed in disbelief, my friend felt badly and apologized, and then I made a joke about commandeering his 60ft sailboat as a deposit. There was never a question of who would reimburse who, and there was definitely never a question about being upset. We kept sailing and took some beautiful pics of sf on our return to port, I'll post them here to hopefully give an idea of the positive vibe.. it's all good in the hood.. it was just an accident :). I'll cal Dji to see what they'll sell me today. Thanks for all the advice and assistance everyone.
bc7b0c3717a2126b89509b46c2dd5ad6.jpg
0d4d0c3d8bc971fffde493c0bf93965f.jpg
e3a35baaf277bdad0e8055e62f8ddca6.jpg
b31e89ce23ac1d4c35288fc2c9d795b9.jpg

You can purchase the drone only from DJI directly by going here. It costs $899 unfortunately, but you don't have to buy one with RC for $999 at least. But I should point out that the RC and Mavic together save you some money, when you sell the RC for the original price.

Direct link for Mavic with RC
Direct link for Mavic only

EDIT: Fixed the link.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member