DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic fell into San Francisco Bay.. how to replace?

That is bush league from DJI. They have the Mavic only for $899, and the RC controller only for $299. When the whole package cost $999 and that includes the chargers.
Just trying to squeeze more money out of someone who just lost or crashed their drone or controller.

You do realize that DJI is in this to make money and not friends right? This is how business works. They have a responsibility to the shareholders.

Not sure I could be mates with someone so clearly genetically inferior ; )

Probably cross him off your xmas card list and ask for a contribution towards a replacement for being a tit.

If you're going to buy the mavic for $899, I'd spend the extra $100 and get it with the controller. Then you can sell the extra controller on eBay and at least recoup some of your money back....

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

yea no.. this baby is waaaay at the bottom of the bay.. happened just under golden gate actually.. would have made for some amazing footage LOL.

Again, i was told that for $500 they replace just the drone itself, no accessories.. any truth to this? I knew it wouldn't be any kind of insurance claim.
Very sorry for your loss. But then you were in SFO and OAK airspace. Two questions: 1) Did you register with FAA and 2) Did you notify OAK and SFO of your flight? NO I',m not the "drone police"...But it's surprising how many Mavic flyers don't know about either. That all said, I have State Farm and DJI Care. If you don't RESIDE in CA, I suggest that you get it, (for your replacement), as has been previously suggested. Very cheap and very well worth it. Happy Flying with your nest one.

Probably nothing new on this forum, but deeply saddening to me.. after just a month with my Mavic, I was having a friend hand-launch it from a boat.. somehow he got freaked out by propellers and before they actually started rotating, he sort of.. "threw" it and it plopped into the water. UGH..
<clip>
thank you.

signed,

Mourning ex-mavic pilot.

Aside from your unfortunate loss, I've been curious about the legality of over-water launches in the San Francisco Bay. For sure, the Golden Gate NATIONAL Recreational Area (like all National Parks) is UAV prohibited space yet some assert that boat takeoffs and landing are outside the Fed's jurisdiction...
No, you cannot fly your drone at the Golden Gate Bridge

There are no options but to buy a new one, but it's gonna be more then 500$ I would make your friend reimburse you asap, I would be pissed. Anyway if your in the us I think it's 799$?for just the Mavic.

I tried to request just the drone but they have not released it.

yea no.. this baby is waaaay at the bottom of the bay.. happened just under golden gate actually.. would have made for some amazing footage LOL.

Again, i was told that for $500 they replace just the drone itself, no accessories.. any truth to this? I knew it wouldn't be any kind of insurance claim.

Sorry no. The Mavic is €799 on its own with one battery in the craft.
Sorry to hear abut your friend throwing it into the drink. He owes you money...

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Aside from your unfortunate loss, I've been curious about the legality of over-water launches in the San Francisco Bay. For sure, the Golden Gate NATIONAL Recreational Area (like all National Parks) is UAV prohibited space yet some assert that boat takeoffs and landing are outside the Fed's jurisdiction...
No, you cannot fly your drone at the Golden Gate Bridge

I was wondering the same thing. The map in the link clearly shows the bridge (and areas around it in the water) as being part of the National Recreational Area.

I just lost mine in 50Ft of water wile flying over the bay. Drone is unrecoverable. I have DJI refresh and sent in my telemetry and all the other stuff they asked for. Waiting foe an answer. I was told in some cases they will replace the drone even if it can't be returned. Will let you know when I get my final answer.

Here is the answer. They told me they will sell me a new one with out controller or charger of 15% off the price of the Mavic only price of $899.00 So $765. Oh well live and learn.

Last edited:
There are no options but to buy a new one, but it's gonna be more then 500$ I would make your friend reimburse you asap, I would be pissed.

I wouldn't like to be your friend.

why be pissed at a friend?.. he'll do whats right, but I rarely get upset with friends, especially when something is an accident... as most things in life are.

What friendship is all about, yes.

MK

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman