DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Fly Away this evening. Shes Gone!

Ha ha. If I had a 4th grader here I would have it made. We might be in luck? I think I got the .dat files downloaded to Google Drive. Please give it a try.
Mavicmystery.DAT
Somehow I missed this until just now. This is a long thread and it seems like I saw some speculation that the battery had come loose mid-flight. I think that's what happened. The battery data is 1 HZ and too slow to see this. Battery data also has a 1.5 second delay. But, the motorVolts data is 50 HZ and shows a sudden drop from 10.5 to 6.3 right at the very end.
upload_2017-3-14_15-50-2.png
I've seen this in other flights.

DatCon was used to extract this data at 200 HZ and then submitted to CsvView. CsvView is set to 30 HZ for .DAT files just wasn't quite fast enough.

Thanks Bud. If that is indeed what happened it sure makes me feel a lot better about the Mavic. Thank you everyone for all your imput. Make double sure you press those battery packs on firmly!

Thank you all especially for helping my find my craft. I would have given up without you. The Mavic isn't damaged bad. Just the gimbal of course. Now I have my confidence back.

Best regards all,
Mike

I find it amazing that there are people in this world knowledgable enough to take data off a wireless device to "pinpoint" the most likely crash location of the missing aircraft....then people are able to actually go out and find their missing drones.

Thank you to the ones who make this magic happen, and I hope I never require your services

The fact that the video on the sd card was corrupted means it likely powered off suddenly and the MP didn't have an opportunity to finish writing/closing the file. That's telling all by itself. But, more importantly, the video on the card can be salvaged by simply putting it back in the MP and powering it up. At least with the Phantom series, if you powered the bird off before stopping the recording, the last file being written became unusable UNTIL it was put back in the bird and powered up. The date/timestamp would be off, but the file was then playable on any device.

Thank you all as well you are amazing reading those files

There are no "ramifications" (as you put it) to flying on 73% battery, he wasn't flying with a low or critical battery alert. Think of it this way, if you start a flight with a full battery, land mid flight to change a setting or add a filter and take off on the same battery... its the same thing. As far as the battery not being charged for weeks at a time, this is not possible with the mavic intelligent flight batteries because it will only stay charged for a maximum of 10 days from the last time it was charged before it auto discharges to 20% by itself. The settings can be found in the DJI go4 app under the advanced battery settings.

I took off with 67% battery with a P3A, ascended to 200 feet and got some sort of 'over voltage' message. The drone started to descend on its own and I only had lateral control.

There are posts in the DJI forums about this sort of behaviour when taking off with less than full battery.

Sport mode in the MP is also suspect. If you're one of the cursed without twisted rear motor wires under the hood, EMF from high current in sport mode can kill the compass and put you in ATTI mode.

But...if the battery came loose it should have remained turned on and discharged? When I found it 2 days later it turned on and had nearly full charge. The body shows signs of stress around the battery attach pens on the sides like it was forcefully removed. Also the gimble pulled straight out at those rubber doughnuts that hold the rubber bands. And clearly all of the blades contacted the arms and were damaged at the trailing edges where they struck the arms probably under power? hmmmm what a mystery. Hope the .dat files show something.
No. That's entirely inaccurate. Once disconnected the battery would stop discharging.

Great job to all those who offered time to help reveal some clues and an amazing find of the bird. Most would have given up. But this group really comes through for other pilots. I've read every post waiting to see would the outcome would be. Better than TV. Now waiting to see what DJI says. Did you have the replacement plan?

Reactions: Lapeer20m
I just posted a very similar story here

Thanks to Tas47 for directing me to this thread. I'm thinking my battery came loose during the flight as well.

Here is what happened.

About the 6th flight of the day. Great weather. Was at 347 feet above takeoff point getting good everything. Was in sport mode. Getting a beautiful picture on my I-pad Mini. I was just over 2000 feet away in my rural neighborhood when I get an event message that says adjust antenna to avoid signal blockage. At almost exactly the same time the screen goes blank and the RC says LOSS of Signal. I checked my antenna position (just fine) and quickly changed my position. I waited a bit and touched return to home. Nothing, it just said Signal Lost.

I walked over to the position where it last reported. Nothing. Went back out after dark with a high powered light and GPS but nothing to be found. It is a wooded area. Will try again in the morning. I hoped that when I got home it would be setting there waiting for me but no such luck.

Do you guys think it is really there or did it fly off? It reported its last position and altitude of 347 feet. I had a good picture right until the end. Was way above the terrain.

Healthy Drone showed no problems other than a message that said Battery Overcurrent during discharge. I was running wide open when that happened so throttle back an it went out. This happened about 30 seconds before it was lost. I had lots of battery, only in the air about 3 minutes on full everything.

Any suggestions for finding it are appreciated.:(
Is it possible your smart device was hacked

I find it amazing that there are people in this world knowledgable enough to take data off a wireless device to "pinpoint" the most likely crash location of the missing aircraft....then people are able to actually go out and find their missing drones.

Thank you to the ones who make this magic happen, and I hope I never require your services

No kidding! Its like a collective NTSB in here!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair