DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic FPVLR/Yagi Antenna Mod -Installation Guide and Review!

How long of cable could you run from the amp to the controller? I am picturing this thing 100ft up in a tree.

Then, multiplexing aside, the skew planar wheel in front of a 1 watt 2.4 GHZ amplifier, 15-20 feet high in the air, will extend the range and reduce interference for both control and video. Nice.

I would love to see a build list with some links of where to get the parts.[/QUOTE]
Everything is available on Amazon except my 16ft steel pole, which was part of a Ham antenna. You want to learn about radios and antennas, get your HAM TICKET ;)

How long of cable could you run from the amp to the controller? I am picturing this thing 100ft up in a tree.
It all depends on the quality of the coax. You can buy SMA attenuators but they're expensive and I am cheap. Nine meters of lossy cable results in great attenuation in conjunction with numerous adapters. For example, If you used LMR lossless cable, you'd fry the amp, without attenuation of your control signal which I surmise, is around 600milliwatts @ the Xmitter. Your amp needs to see around 50milliwatts.

So according to this I would need to use something like 170ft of TMS LMR-400 to have the signal low enough not to fry the amp?
And when there is 2 antennas do you use 2 amps or only amp and use one side? I would think 2 amps would make noise for each other.

Edit
Coax Loss Calculator

Last edited:
Lol, Under no circumstances would you ever use lmr400 to accomplish this task unless, you have already attenuated the signal, by any other means.
I said, "If you used LMR lossless cable, you'd fry the amp".

So, after you mod the controller with new IPEX, here:

This is what I use:
COAX
Amazon.com: 9M Antenna RP-SMA Extension Cable for Wi-Fi Wi Fi Router: Electronics
AMP
Amazon.com: Sunhans Sh-2000 2000mw Wireless Signal Repeater 33dbm Wifi Signal Booster 2w: Computers & Accessories
ANTENNA
RC RADIO CONTROL FPV 2.4 GhZ RHCP FPVLR LONG RANGE CLOVER LEAF ANTENNAs NEW | eBay
Pagoda Omni - FarVew

Right, but if i wanted to go a ridiculously long length like over 100ft it would have to be a low loss right? Or would over 100ft work with the cheap stuff. Is that calculator estimation wrong?

Edit
Sorry here is the calc i used
Coax Loss Calculator

Last edited:
Right, but if i wanted to go a ridiculously long length like over 100ft it would have to be a low loss right? Or would over 100ft work with the cheap stuff. Is that calculator estimation wrong?

Edit
Sorry here is the calc i used
Coax Loss Calculator
My guess is, if you put 2 of those together, that would be around 60 feet without adapters, it should be fine. Even though the amp company claims it is 2watts, you will be lucky to get 1 watt. I think you are correct, that low loss LMR would be a great way to span great heights, but you can calculate it exactly, if you want. I know my setup works. Good luck. I will maiden my fixed wing this summer but the mavic is next on my list for this ground station. Won't get it until June.

Reactions: WIMMPYIII
What about only using 1 cable and 1 amp with the other antenna left empty or only an small omni on the controller?

What about only using 1 cable and 1 amp with the other antenna left empty or only an small omni on the controller?
Well, essentially, that is what I am suggesting. The control antenna(the one on the left) fed to the aerial amp and the Pagoda omni on the other. Can't wait to range test it. Should be epic!

Can someone that has install an antenna mod test to see of they are getting signal from both left and right side antenna?
It appears that i am only getting signal off of 1 antenna. The second antenna seems to have to affect.
I have swapped pigtails and this made no difference.
I dont know now if this is because my controler board is bad or if it part of the design that i am not understanding correctly. Like 1 antenna being for tx and rx while the other is rx only.

Reactions: Natedoggz
I made my own Nanosync/dbs mod and half the price. I am still testing but I found with the Antenna type I'm using I have velcro on the back. And if I change the orientation of the antenna while the MP is going away and coming back I get different results! [emoji45][emoji2][emoji3][emoji4][emoji58][emoji53]
I have not done every position or option you can do, but I have posted some of today's flights and they are all surprising both with sensors and GPS and HD /Controller signal, strength, etc...
Just wanted to share some of the results so if anyone else has a way to orientate the antenna different ways while they're flying they will see plenty of results that will surprise them as well!!

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Reactions: CyberNate
Can someone that has install an antenna mod test to see of they are getting signal from both left and right side antenna?
It appears that i am only getting signal off of 1 antenna. The second antenna seems to have to affect.
I have swapped pigtails and this made no difference.
I dont know now if this is because my controler board is bad or if it part of the design that i am not understanding correctly. Like 1 antenna being for tx and rx while the other is rx only.
The left side is transmit and right side receive.

The left side is transmit and right side receive.

Thanks.
So my results are probably due to the fact that the Drone TX and controller Rx is the overwhelming limiting factor.
The crazy thing is that is see 0 difference if I unplug the 1 side and complete drop if i unplug the other side.

Hey everybody! Haven't seen to much on the Yagi antenna mod for the Mavic Pro outside of the one huge thread that the mod's almost locked due to lack of civility. So I thought I'd do a quick and dirty review/test/observation post.

I got a pair of the Yagi antennas from dronenerds.com. They were the FPVLR antennas (the original guy that makes them is from Italy, it was cheaper to pay their markup than to pay DHL to bring it around the globe). Didn't come with any instructions, so I found a few posts on the FPVLR website that helped me out.

Here's a youtube video on how to take apart the controller:

I got mine apart pretty easily, much easier than the video. Bottom plate and the top and bottom separation are the biggest challenge. Just go slow and be careful. I also used a Plano organizer to keep track of every section of removal and wrote down every step I did with crude diagrams and corresponding numbers to the sections on the Plano box.
I had the micro screw set and the spudger set from some iPhone repair kit I got years ago. I also got one of the recommended tool sets on mavichelp.com a while back - the Teton branded one. But you are going to want plastic prying tools for sure. You'll damage the plastic seam if you don't. Caveat emptor. You'll also need a dremel (or a file and a ton of patience) and an 8mm wrench or 8mm socket and some needle nose pliers.

That YouTube video got it apart, but then I had very little idea on how to take out the existing antennas, what to dremel out, and how to run the new wires around on the inside. Found a post on the FPVLR's Facebook page that helped (mostly, did not run the wires like the guy that posted all the pictures- tell you why in a second.)

facebook post:
Mavic antennas growing - Donato A Marcantonio | Facebook

Definitely look over the youtube vid and the Facebook post a few times. I also set up the iPad with the youtube vid right next to were I was working and paused as necessary. But neither show how to take out the stock antennas without destroying them. They have a clip system that has one beveled side and one plain side. Rotate the antenna 90* to stop position, then pull back towards the beveled side and the plain side will slide out. Hope I explained that well as I did not take pictures of that, but here's a crude markup:
View attachment 7843

But here's why I ran the antennas differently- so this guy runs the wires a little to close to the magnetic stick sensor chips for my taste. Take a look at his layout (on the Facebook link) and decide for yourself. I ended up running mine so that they more closely matched the stock wire layout and as far away from the stick sensors as possible:
View attachment 7833
I'll attach a picture of the stock wire setup too, took it just in case. Now in this picture the wires are almost good to go. However you will need to torque/bend the right angle wires that come out of the nuts as close to the board as you are comfortable going. Ask me how i know ;-) If the are not then the screen/battery will not fit properly on the left antenna and the photo button will not function properly by the right antenna. Remember, go slowly and test fit before shoving it all back together.
View attachment 7839

You'll need a dremel to file down the plastic on the screen bracket in order to clear the brass nuts now protruding into the case. Took several tries back and forth to the dremel till I got it right. Was scared of going too far and messing something up when grinding. This is what it looks like when done:
View attachment 7835

Here's a view of the top where I dremel'd down, its ugly but it works:
View attachment 7836

Here's a picture of the final fit - it all makes sense here. Got to clear room for those 8mm nuts.
View attachment 7837
After that it's follow the steps you wrote down in reverse and put it back together!

Think this is getting a bit long- I'll put a signal review in the first comment. I've added a few extra pictures including the stock antenna layout for those that need it. Unfortunately did not make a step by step picture process.

Thanks for looking and I hope this helps out some of my fellow mavicpilots!

I just did the Yagi mod non-boosted and got the same results you did about 30 %...I have some amps and different antenna's.coming.......I live in southaven and I think you said you live in memphis,so Im not to far from you....

So any consensus on the best type of antenna for long range? I am considering between the Nanosync, FPVLR Yagi type and the FPVLR circular polarized... Going to start off non-boosted, but might end up there if I don't get the performance I am after.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998