DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 4k video with Nexus 7 Tablet

Mavnick

Reactions
My first post so bear with me and apologies if this subject has been 'done to death' :)

I have recently purchased my first drone (Mavic Pro) and as a keen photographer i am impressed with quality of both video & stills. The problem i have is when shooting 4K video, 24fps, my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet doesn't seem to be able to handle the quality as i get a black screen until it can process images my drone is recording.

I have looked at a few posts and have put into developer mode and factory reset with only preloaded apps along with DJI Go4 app installed.

Thanks in advance

Nick

My first post so bear with me and apologies if this subject has been 'done to death' :)

I have recently purchased my first drone (Mavic Pro) and as a keen photographer i am impressed with quality of both video & stills. The problem i have is when shooting 4K video, 24fps, my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet doesn't seem to be able to handle the quality as i get a black screen until it can process images my drone is recording.

I have looked at a few posts and have put into developer mode and factory reset with only preloaded apps along with DJI Go4 app installed.

Thanks in advance

Nick
Howdy from Wyoming @Mavnick , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here. Does it do alright with 720p? I ask because the drone is only sending 720 (or 1080p) to your device so the quality of the original on the drone should not effect your video transmission.

Reactions: pjarvo18
Howdy from Wyoming @Mavnick , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here. Does it do alright with 720p? I ask because the drone is only sending 720 (or 1080p) to your device so the quality of the original on the drone should not effect your video transmission.

The quality of video is fine when download from micro sd, the problem is the screen on my nexus 7 when flying it has a lag/black screen, thanks for your welcome and support.

I'm from West Midlands Uk by the way

Nick

The quality of video is fine when download from micro sd, the problem is the screen on my nexus 7 when flying it has a lag/black screen, thanks for your welcome and support.

I'm from West Midlands Uk by the way

Nick
Roger that, what I am trying to convey is the resolution you shoot on your drone (whether it be 720, 1080, 2.7 or 4k) should not affect the video feed to your device. The device video feed is 1080p (if you are close) and 720p when you get farther away.

Apologies if i have been confusing, -d.

I have my settings at the highest resolution e.g 4k, the video i capture with drone is perfect for what i need, my problem is when i look at the screen on my tablet it is black for a moment until it processes what the drone is capturing, i think i may have to reduce the quality of video with go4 app or get another device so i can see what my drone is seeing.

I thought i might find a quick fix so i could still shoot the highest quailty.

Thanks

Nick

Apologies if i have been confusing, -d.

I have my settings at the highest resolution e.g 4k, the video i capture with drone is perfect for what i need, my problem is when i look at the screen on my tablet it is black for a moment until it processes what the drone is capturing, i think i may have to reduce the quality of video with go4 app or get another device so i can see what my drone is seeing.

I thought i might find a quick fix so i could still shoot the highest quailty.

Thanks

Nick
I understand what you are saying, I am just saying the resolution you shoot at should not effect the display on your device (that is locked at 720 or 1080p), so if you are having issues it is probably with the device . A lot of people run the iPad mini 4 and have good results; I use an Nvida Shield and have good luck. Try borrowing a later model phone or tablet from a mate and see if everything is sorted out.

I understand what you are saying, I am just saying the resolution you shoot at should not effect the display on your device (that is locked at 720 or 1080p), so if you are having issues it is probably with the device . A lot of people run the iPad mini 4 and have good results; I use an Nvida Shield and have good luck. Try borrowing a later model phone or tablet from a mate and see if everything is sorted out.

I'll try a few things and failing that i will have to bite the bullet and buy new display, thanks for the feedback.

Nick

There's a couple of things that you might try to fix the situation.
First switch off video caching in the App, then switch video decoding to 'Hardware' in the camera settings. I've also seen it suggested that downgrading Google Play Services can help...how I don't know.

That tablet works perfectly fine. It needs to be dedicated to the drone. The cache needs to be cleared before you fly. Make sure you are using a good quality cable. Use an SD card with a U3 rating. I've had very few issues with the nexus 7.

Could also be the version of dji go you're using. I use to use the nexus and was fine except a couple of updates of the app caused a similar thing. Turn off video cache should help though.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Nick, the Nexus 7 was a great tablet in its day but the DJI GO 4 app is very resource heavy and doesn't run well on older devices. I use a 9.7" iPad Pro and it is flawless. A lot of people got with the iPad mini. I also own a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 and that works well but DJI seems to favor iOS over Android in terms of stability, so even though I'm and Android fanatic, I stick with the iPad for my Mavic. I have heard about a lot of trouble with Nexus 7 performance and the Mavic. Pick up a used or refurbished iPad or iPad mini on eBay for small money and you won't regret it!

Many thanks for all responses, i will take on board your comments and keep persevering Thumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111