DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

Hi all !
This is Fredo, with the FREDO_MOD result !!!!!

First of all, YES, it work !!!

Now, more precision on what happened.
Weather conditions: sunny, wind less than 5km/h, 15°C

What i did was a first flight with only one battery.
Start recording, took off, climbed to 150m and then circling in front of my position, always at full throttle forward.
I landed with battery alarm at 9% after 22min 13sec of flight

Then i changed the main battery by a full one, started the drone, plugged the second battery, attached it to the Mavic with some electrical tape turns, also some electrical tape to strongly attach the plug to 2nd battery, started the second battery, and started to fly.
Start recording, took off, climbed to 150m and then circling like the first flight, always full throttle forward.
I landed with battery alarm at 9% after 29min 22sec of flight.
Just after landed, the battery showed up 11% remaining.
After powered down everything and unplugged the second battery, i checked batteries level.
The main battery was a 11%
The second battery was a 28%

I recorded my screen during both flight for those who are sceptical. lol

What i think of this result:
I'm happy! For 10$ i increased my flight time by 7min ! :D
- Why the battery gone down to 9% then immediatly showed (and stayed) 11%? I don't know

- Why the second battery only descended to 28%? I think it's because of the wires capacity and the flight i made. I was full throttle during all the flight! so the drone drained certain quantity of Amperes.
Everybody know that electricity will always choose the easiest way. So as my wires was smaller than the main battery wires, mine had a bigger resistivity, so the electricity passed more by the less resistive cable than by the more resistive cable. For me, that's probably why it remained 28% at the end of the flight. BUT, i also think, that with a more quiet flight, with some hoverings or slow cinematic pass, difference will be less. I should check it during my next flights test.

However, this is for me a HUGE victory !

Now @JustStig is on the way to make the best dual mavic battery holder never made. :rolleyes:

And we are all entering a new era, where flying a Mavic more than 29min is EASY, and CHEAP, and don't need to disfigure your handsome Mavic. :cool:

Call it Fredo's mod or whatever but please, stop drilling holes everywhere, putting those ugly xt60 connectors, buying extra aftermarket batt and extra aftermarket chargers.
Ours Mavic are so well designed and so beautiful, respect them. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: angusc
Interested to hear how much distance you covered in 29 min. Nice work!

Xt60s are sure ugly and unnecessary. Xt30s can fit cleanly and flush with the front lower bodywork.

Do you have pics and/or vids of your mod?

Yes i recorded my screen, i will upload it and share

Interested to hear how much distance you covered in 29 min. Nice work!

Xt60s are sure ugly and unnecessary. Xt30s can fit cleanly and flush with the front lower bodywork.

Xt30 are also ugly for me! Nothing more beautiful than a black DJI original connector. :D

Is there a way to see how much distance i covered ?

Edit: OH YES, i found it in DJI GO4.
So first flight with one battery i did 11,012km
Second flight with two batteries i did 14,297km

Great test flight fredo!
I would like to see you do the first flight on only main battery but while carrying the weight of the second battery. This would then give more precise comparison for the second flight with both batteries connected.
Now you have to find out the maximum flight time without knowing the second battery voltages and percentages.
Good job.

Great test flight fredo!
I would like to see you do the first flight on only main battery but while carrying the weight of the second battery. This would then give more precise comparison for the second flight with both batteries connected.
Now you have to find out the maximum flight time without knowing the second battery voltages and percentages.
Good job.

When you carry an extra battery without it being plugged in, your flight time is dramatically decreased, and maybe not with only this much extra weight, but carrying heavy batteries with only the main battery supporting the flight a lot of times you'll get motor errors, uncontrollable aircraft and sometimes forced auto landings. It's not really a good idea, and I'm not sure it gives you an idea of anything of importance as far as data

Of course you want to know what the maximum flight time is on a single battery with the additional weight of two batteries. After all with two batteries connected the AC still had to carry the total weight but for longer as the second battery kicks in to support the extended flight time.

So that is the only way to know how much additional flight time you achieve with the additional battery, you have to compare apples with apples as they say.

Of course you want to know what the maximum flight time is on a single battery with the additional weight of two batteries. After all with two batteries connected the AC still had to carry the total weight but for longer as the second battery kicks in to support the extended flight time.

So that is the only way to know how much additional flight time you achieve with the additional battery, you have to compare apples with apples as they say.

A mavic with added 300g deadweight flies around 13 min down to 5%. Tested this before.

I tested the functioning of dual main batteries as well, no endurance weather is crépe. Just indoor and both at 12.7v after some hovering.
@Fredo
Dare to call my mod "ugly" (that's the name of another mav o mine, this one's "the Bad".)

20171120_144040.jpg

20171120_143935.jpg

Just added 2 bullets to the car charger, @cruzroy mine seems to have all pins, no missing ones.
Will compare this back to back to a 4000 lihv IF i deserve the mercy of the WX lords..

Edit: advantage with this carcharger thing is that you can plug in both wires and just switch on the sec battery after first one. Still weighs 40g less than the 4000 lihv.

I tested the functioning of dual main batteries as well, no endurance weather is crépe. Just indoor and both at 12.7v after some hovering.
@Fredo
Dare to call my mod "ugly" (that's the name of another mav o mine, this one's "the Bad".)

I agree, this mod is way better than others i already seen. Very clean job. Not a fan of the 2 holes on top, but i must admit it's really well done.
Your wires look bigger than mine, can't wait for the result of a test like i did. I'm very curious to see if it's similar. Do you plan to do it?

No mine are definitely bigger than yours .....
If you want stock look then is definitely the battery clip.....if you want external after market batteries and full amperage then it's probably the hard wired option. But I want something inbetween with longer life and greater distance.

I agree, this mod is way better than others i already seen. Very clean job. Not a fan of the 2 holes on top, but i must admit it's really well done.
Your wires look bigger than mine, can't wait for the result of a test like i did. I'm very curious to see if it's similar. Do you plan to do it?
It’s hardwired inside with awg16 to female 3.5 mm bullets. Plug n go. Also extended the car charger plug with 16, needed to bend things around so wires do not get in the way of front props. Always mod the mav like this with anything i find around.
So far all the MS lihv burn equal with the main. The LiPo’s don’t, always too much juice left in em.
The wire thickness should not matter much, even awg18 can do the trick. Just gotta make sure the solder job on the mains inside is done well. It looks like there is some layer on the soldering there (once i wanted to use the voltmeter and showed nothing until i pushed the pins into the soldering quite hard) The white wire i always solder on the wire itself removing some silicon. The black one i dremel off the top layer of the original solder and solder my ext wire there, really hot. Worked well so far.
I will test it as soon as weather allows along with a single 4000 lihv to see the difference. Heck i could even strap one on top of the 2nd mavic battery...that would be after.
Only pre-test disadvantage is the 3m dual lock underneath the top battery: I cannot use that one as main cause it won’t lock in place unless the 3m is removed....

Oh edit: 29mins full throttle is already pretty good. What speed is that? My full throttle is set to 54kph in p-mode.

A mavic with added 300g deadweight flies around 13 min down to 5%. Tested this before.

@Fredo

Just added 2 bullets to the car charger, @cruzroy mine seems to have all pins, no missing ones.
Will compare this back to back to a 4000 lihv IF i deserve the mercy of the WX lords..

Edit: advantage with this carcharger thing is that you can plug in both wires and just switch on the sec battery after first one. Still weighs 40g less than the 4000 lihv.

To increase flight time Better reduce battery weight as other already proposeIMG_2309.JPG

Reactions: lolo780
To increase flight time Better reduce battery weight as other already proposeView attachment 25247
Sure thing. Issue is that not everyone is willing to butcher their unit. I ve lost 1 and fried another for the sake of im not sure what.
Whole lotta folks cannot afford to damage their mav.
Some things are done to keep mods to minimum and still increase flighttime.
I like this mod i think Fredo came up with. Had this charger around all the time, thought of doing that, got distracted, forgot. So simple..

To increase flight time Better reduce battery weight as other already proposeView attachment 25247
eb89f971e33abb065eafb38ba8959779.jpg

The black stickers are 4g per battery.

I'd like to see a pack with 6 DJI cells that clip in like stock, working with one battery board. If you remove the foam spacers between the cells, 6 of them can fit and only protrude 12mm above the front of the upper shell.

Heat can be minimized by venting the battery case and reducing heat coming up from the ESC board.

Sure thing. Issue is that not everyone is willing to butcher their unit. I ve lost 1 and fried another for the sake of im not sure what.
Whole lotta folks cannot afford to damage their mav.
Some things are done to keep mods to minimum and still increase flighttime.
I like this mod i think Fredo came up with. Had this charger around all the time, thought of doing that, got distracted, forgot. So simple..

21de93b1a275a5a42df607365453c187.jpg

Butcher? I have no idea what you're talking about. [emoji16]

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos