DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro can't hold straight flight

Sherwood92

Reactions
Disclaimer: 98% of my flying is shooting still photos from 390 ft. I just began playing around with video. That being said, I was out messing around today, taking video while flying through an orchard of trees. I aimed my MP straight down a row of trees, however while direct forward stick was the only input, the drone continued to slowly slide to the right. (it was very obvious because it began crossing rows in the field). Wind was zero on the ground, I was flying at 150 ft. I suppose it is possible that there was some breeze at that altitude, but I wouldn't think very much, at least not enough that the drone should not have been able to account for it.
Is there possibly some kind of reset I could do to the drone/software that might correct this problem?

Disclaimer: 98% of my flying is shooting still photos from 390 ft. I just began playing around with video. That being said, I was out messing around today, taking video while flying through an orchard of trees. I aimed my MP straight down a row of trees, however while direct forward stick was the only input, the drone continued to slowly slide to the right. (it was very obvious because it began crossing rows in the field). Wind was zero on the ground, I was flying at 150 ft. I suppose it is possible that there was some breeze at that altitude, but I wouldn't think very much, at least not enough that the drone should not have been able to account for it.
Is there possibly some kind of reset I could do to the drone/software that might correct this problem?
Calibrate IMU and compass.

Welcome to the club! I've been dealing with this for years, especially for close proximity flight. @brett8883 is correct to do the calibrations. However, I've always felt the positioning system for the MPP is awful. It "appears" to track better the higher and farther you are away from the field of view... the inaccuracies of holding a straight path are less visible.

Maybe there is inherent slop in the accuracy of the IMU from copy to copy. It's been my experience with my MPP that it flies better backwards than forwards. And to add to the misery, it is awful in trying to accurately replicate waypoints, both in position, path and yaw angle. You just have to work around it. The strange thing is, I know it is capable of an accurate path by example of the RTH function... straight as an arrow!

I have a suggestion though... If you need a really true path track, and there is little wind, try course lock and/or home lock. They are not perfect and will drift sideways in a wind.

Anyway... keep working with videos and post them.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Probably the wind. you could offset the heading a little and give it a try. If you stop, the drone can hold position by banking up to it's limit. Even if the xwind is only 5 kts. you are going to move 5 kts.in one hour If not corrected for. That doesn't sound like a lot but it's enough to blow a 747 off the runway if not corrected for.
I really like Radio Mans post.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Calibrate sticks
Calibrate gimbal
Calibrate Imu and compass.
U can take off and go up to like 100 feet
Yaw the craft and let off, if it continues to move
Ur imu needs recalibrated for sure.
If ur stick inputs aren’t calibrated that may be it.
I have same issue most the time and just learned how to compensate

A less complicated reason is that the camera's orientation is just off. Just yesterday there was another post about an M2P not being able to fly straight forward and it turns out that it was just an illusion caused by the camera not pointing straight ahead.

1599407916289.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Thank you for all the suggestions. I will employ all that I can and hope the problem is eliminated.
A less complicated reason is that the camera's orientation is just off. Just yesterday there was another post about an M2P not being able to fly straight forward and it turns out that it was just an illusion caused by the camera not pointing straight ahead.

View attachment 112516
Is there a specific "fix" for this condition?

Is there a specific "fix" for this condition?

For M2P, the orientation can be reset by pointing the camera fully downward and then forward. On MP, may be some other actions are needed. I would suggest you to check if the camera is misaligned first. If the apparent sideway movement is as large as you have described, you should be able to see the misalignment of the camera when the craft is hovering above you.

I bought a used mavic pro in great shape and Also have problems flying straight, will also try the suggestions.

If the above calibrations do not fix it, it may need degaussing with CFixer or something like it.

Have you heard if this product is effective, I watched a couple of videos on it , but have not heard anything about it.
Thanks Bob
I own a CFixer... it works stellar for problems created by magnetization... it has helped me, but it’s a one purpose tool.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki