Join Us Now

Mavic pro forced landing dangerously, DJI avoid responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a look thanks

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-02-16_[20-20-01].txt
    984.7 KB · Views: 81
At 20%, which has an estimated flightime of 4:30 (270s), my distance (height + distance) was 1006 meter. According to the normal speed of 30km/hr, I should be still able to fly 2249 meters. However, when it start auto landing, I was panic and quickly manually fly it home. In the meantime, I have clicked 100 times of cancel landing but it never worked. And then I was thinking it probably would descend to a certain height and return home automatically. I flied to a distance of 483m and 222m height and wait for a minute and until height became 90 meter. I realized it wasn't the case and it won't stop so I was panic to push throttle and find somewhere safe to land. At the end it crashed/landed somewhere that I could not retrieve anymore. I admitted it was some user mistake of waiting and expecting it to return home. You probably will think I have lose control and there might be opportunity to make it back. If you experience yourself with this kind of anxiety and distressed, I guess everyone would perform similarly. Not to mention I have plenty of fly experience.

Reactions: Family Guy
You just did everything wrong... It did warn you of having to come back and even initiated low battery RTH, but for some reason you decided you knew better, cancelled that and flew away again. Then battery level reached the point where it considers it only has enough time to jsut reach the ground and as such just lands in place, which is what "Landing" means.
In this mode you can steer it back but you have to do so. You can also slow down or stop descent by keeping throttle up. You started bringing it back and had you done that 20 more seconds it would have been above you, but you somehow stopped at some point and just looked at it go down for a minute. Then you started doing completely nonsensical mess with the sticks which in the end even pushed it further away again.

DJI are absolutely right. You put it in the situation in the first place, then took none of the actions you had at your disposal to save it.

Not to mention I have plenty of fly experience.

Well, here's the proof that experience of jsut flying around means nothing if you don't educate/train yourself properly on how the thing works in abnormal situations.

Last edited:
You just did everything wrong... It did warn you of having to come back and even initiated low battery RTH, but for some reason you decided you knew better, cancelled that and flew away again. Then battery level reached the point where it considers it only has enough time to jsut reach the ground and as such just lands in place, which is what "Landing" means.
In this mode you can steer it back but you have to do so. You can also slow down or stop descent by keeping throttle up. You started bringing it back and had you done that 20 more seconds it would have been above you, but you somehow stopped at some point and just looked at it go down for a minute. Then you started doing completely nonsensical mess with the sticks which in the end even pushed it further away again.

DJI are absolutely right. You put it in the situation in the first place, then took none of the actions you had at your disposal to save it.

Well, here's the proof that experience of jsut flying around means nothing if you don't educate/train yourself properly on how the thing works in abnormal situations.

^^^^^^
giphy.gif

I've watched video and everyone perform the same when they experience the same thing. The auto land just mess up people mind and you just can't control your mind and fingers when it happens.

As I mentioned, my last height and distance at 20% battery was 339 m and 671 m. Say if the descending speed is 3 m/s and horizontal speed is 8.3 m/s , the time need to return home is 339/3 + 671/8.3 = 193 sec. The last calculated flying time for 20% was 4.44 min which was about 266 sec. So it still had plenty of time to force come home but not force landing. You would argue that I left the battery to 20% but I have plenty of times with the battery below 20% and it never auto land. Every time it comes back safely. Anything unusual I would just press the stop button and it will hover until I react. That’s why I was not aware of this. That’s why I was panic and make a mess when it auto land.

At 20% there were still warning message saying “the battery is only enough for RTH”. Why did it auto land but not return home? To me everything is dodgy and the warning is always confusing. I received many messages in previous flight saying the battery is only enough of RTH but I can always hover for a few minutes before making it home. The accuracy of warning is always confusing me that’s why I have disaster this time.

I've watched video and everyone perform the same when they experience the same thing. The auto land just mess up people mind and you just can't control your mind and fingers when it happens.

As I mentioned, my last height and distance at 20% battery was 339 m and 671 m. Say if the descending speed is 3 m/s and horizontal speed is 8.3 m/s , the time need to return home is 339/3 + 671/8.3 = 193 sec. The last calculated flying time for 20% was 4.44 min which was about 266 sec. So it still had plenty of time to force come home but not force landing. You would argue that I left the battery to 20% but I have plenty of times with the battery below 20% and it never auto land. Every time it comes back safely. Anything unusual I would just press the stop button and it will hover until I react. That’s why I was not aware of this. That’s why I was panic and make a mess when it auto land.

At 20% there were still warning message saying “the battery is only enough for RTH”. Why did it auto land but not return home? To me everything is dodgy and the warning is always confusing. I received many messages in previous flight saying the battery is only enough of RTH but I can always hover for a few minutes before making it home. The accuracy of warning is always confusing me that’s why I have disaster this time.

So you ignored the warnings previously and got away with it. That's not a valid basis to complain when your luck runs out.

Looks to me he canceled the auto return to home on one of those screen shots

Bud, flying the craft all way down to 20% and then canceling return to home is crazy... If it tells you it only has enough power to return to home, it is serious about it considering your flying conditions. It did not return to home because you canceled it and it allowed you to run it down to 10percent when it forces you to land. This has not changed at all, this is how it is with DJI. You have no idea the wind conditions 600 meters up. The wind is usually pretty gusty that high. The only time I canceled a auto RTH was when I was about 20 meters from the craft, i flew it in and let it hover about 10 feet off the ground until it auto landed, I needed the battery to drain down to 8 percent to refresh the batteries. I'm super sorry for your loss but this was on you man....

1100ft up and 2200ft away and 20% battery? I'm betting you are always on "E" in your vehicle too with a 50 mile trip to get back home and you know how far below "E" the needle can go before your car shuts down.

Looks to me he canceled the auto return to home on one of those screen shots

Bud, flying the craft all way down to 20% and then canceling return to home is crazy... If it tells you it only has enough power to return to home, it is serious about it considering your flying conditions. It did not return to home because you canceled it and it allowed you to run it down to 10percent when it forces you to land. This has not changed at all, this is how it is with DJI. You have no idea the wind conditions 600 meters up. The wind is usually pretty gusty that high. The only time I canceled a auto RTH was when I was about 20 meters from the craft, i flew it in and let it hover about 10 feet off the ground until it auto landed, I needed the battery to drain down to 8 percent to refresh the batteries. I'm super sorry for your loss but this was on you man....

Just to clarify, I canceled at 30% not 20%. At 20% it shows the warning of final chance to return to home and it's already auto landing.

1100ft up and 2200ft away and 20% battery? I'm betting you are always on "E" in your vehicle too with a 50 mile trip to get back home and you know how far below "E" the needle can go before your car shuts down.

I never have issue of my vehicle because the accuracy of indication how far I can travel with my fuel. My car can travel 550 km and I always refuel when the car told me I can only run 30 km which is about 5% of my fuel. I trust DJI like my car. I plan to return home at 20% which is about 4.44 minute fly time but it chose to auto land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard