DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Mobile Device

Hey Bud, can't take credit for the replies, many other helpful people on the forum. I agree with the advice to go iPad Mini 4 with cell/data plan. Don't think you will regret the small additional cost on top of your Mavic. Just don't let the sales guy talk you into a plan you don't need!

Not sure I'll fire up a plan and I'll see how it goes GPS only. If I can get a "data only" plan, that might fly.

Mathlock - Apple just dropped the price on the iPad mini 4 by $100 (USD). I fly with the iPad Mini 4 and I bought the GSM / WiFi model, but have never connected it via a SIM card. If you buy the GSM / WiFi model iPad Mini 4, it gives you more versality than the WiFi only model.

Good Luck and Good Flying!

Reactions: Matchlock
If you buy an iPhone, you must have access to a simcard to even make it work the first time, its need activating at first start.
The best iPhone would be a 256GB iPhone 7+ if money is no problem.

Hi Stuart;

I didn't know a cell/data plan was useful on a Quad. I've been flying Phantoms since June of last year and never had that. What advantages are there having a cell/data plan?

Bud

Hey Bud, can't take credit for the replies, many other helpful people on the forum. I agree with the advice to go iPad Mini 4 with cell/data plan. Don't think you will regret the small additional cost on top of your Mavic. Just don't let the sales guy talk you into a plan you don't need!

Hi Alan;

Yes, and it gives me lots more to hold on to as well. The shorter USB patch cord is really a blessing. I have a couple of 12" cords with the right angle miniature USB end.

It's absolutely grand that there are so many manufacturers out there that have all these different products for us to select from. It certainly makes our flying that much more pleasant when we have the right equipment.

Bud

Hmm - glad to see the iPad 4 mini fits the controller. I bought one for the P4P and I'll use it with the MP too.

OUAT I bought the "short" iPhone cable, I use that too (with the P4P). Less line dangling in the wind.

Really? That's a great deal for someone that doesn't already have one. Perhaps I'll get another so I'll have one for each of my Quads. You never know if the price will go back up again.

Thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it.

Good luck to you too.

Bud

Mathlock - Apple just dropped the price on the iPad mini 4 by $100 (USD). I fly with the iPad Mini 4 and I bought the GSM / WiFi model, but have never connected it via a SIM card. If you buy the GSM / WiFi model iPad Mini 4, it gives you more versality than the WiFi only model.

Good Luck and Good Flying!

Hi Alan;

Although I don't think I want to go the data plan route, would there be any sense in trying to explain to an old fella like me what is meant by pre-caching the maps? I don't plan on flying long distances if that has anything to do with it.

Bud

I'm sure I don't as long as I pre-cache the maps.

Hi Alan;

Although I don't think I want to go the data plan route, would there be any sense in trying to explain to an old fella like me what is meant by pre-caching the maps? I don't plan on flying long distances if that has anything to do with it.

Bud
Howdy Bud,
David here from up Wyoming way, to cache the maps all you have to do is open the DJI GO4 app and go to the map screen (tap the little circle in the lower left of your main camera screen) this will bring up a map of the area you are currently, then zoom in and out around the area you are going to be flying, this will be saved in the device and will pop up when you get to your destination.
Regards,
-d.

Last edited:
would there be any sense in trying to explain to an old fella like me what is meant by pre-caching the maps?
Check out this post for instructions on caching the maps in DJI GO.

Reactions: Stuart Wood
Hi Stuart;

I didn't know a cell/data plan was useful on a Quad. I've been flying Phantoms since June of last year and never had that. What advantages are there having a cell/data plan?

Bud

Hi Bud, I think someone else may have answered this later in this thread, but the data plan gives you access to live maps and negates the need to cache them before flying, through a wifi connection. Just more convenient, but not essential.

The least hassle route in this case is a simcard with a dataplan, iPad or iPhone.
The problem you might get is what to do when you travel to another location?
You wont get any maps unless you precatch etc. Furter, the iPad with simcard has gps built in, while the wifi only iPad has no gps. Can be nice for lots of stuff. Locate a lost drone etc?

Hi David;

Ok, I get it. Thanks very much, and when I go out tomorrow I'm going to give that a try. What's the real purpose of it David as I thought that once I was out at my flying area, a map of that area would pop up instead of the map of my home area?

I really appreciate you explaining that as I had no idea.

All the best,

Bud

Howdy Bud,
David here from up Wyoming way, to cache the maps all you have to do is open the DJI GO4 app and go to the map screen (tap the little circle in the lower left of your main camera screen) this will bring up a map of the area you are currently, then zoom in and out around the area you are going to be flying, this will be saved in the device and will pop up when you get to your destination.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Hi David;

Ok, I get it. Thanks very much, and when I go out tomorrow I'm going to give that a try. What's the real purpose of it David as I thought that once I was out at my flying area, a map of that area would pop up instead of the map of my home area?

I really appreciate you explaining that as I had no idea.

All the best,

Bud
Good Morning Bud,
A map of the area you are going to fly will show up if you cache it, here is an example;
let us say you live in Mytown, USA and you are going to your Buddys house to fly, Buddy lives ten miles away in histown, USA and Buddy does not have internet or WIFI. Before you leave your house you would open the map on your app, enter device, and in the lower left of your screen you will see a map in a circle. Click on the circle and the map becomes full screen, change the location on the map from Mytown to Histown (by swiping) once you get to the area you are going to be flying in zoom out and zoom in until you have the level of detail you want then you can close the app. When you drive to Buddys house in Histown and go to the fallow north 40 where you were going to fly the GPS in your device will automatically pull up the map you had stored before you left home. Then you and Buddy can pop a beer and make fun of all the people that have to work on such a nice day.
Regard,
-d

WoW!! Thanks David, I had no idea you could do this. So that's what caching maps is huh?

I will definitely give that a try when I go out tomorrow and Saturday. I have a friend who lives down the road and he has a 100 acres too so we've got my place and his place to play on all day.

Thanks again for splainin' this, I really appreciate it. Man, these forums, Phantom 4 Pro and the Mavic has some terrific members. Everyone has been so very helpful to me with my new Mavic Pro. I couldn't have got it in the air without you all.

All the best

Bud

Good Morning Bud,
A map of the area you are going to fly will show up if you cache it, here is an example;
let us say you live in Mytown, USA and you are going to your Buddys house to fly, Buddy lives ten miles away in histown, USA and Buddy does not have internet or WIFI. Before you leave your house you would open the map on your app, enter device, and in the lower left of your screen you will see a map in a circle. Click on the circle and the map becomes full screen, change the location on the map from Mytown to Histown (by swiping) once you get to the area you are going to be flying in zoom out and zoom in until you have the level of detail you want then you can close the app. When you drive to Buddys house in Histown and go to the fallow north 40 where you were going to fly the GPS in your device will automatically pull up the map you had stored before you left home. Then you and Buddy can pop a beer and make fun of all the people that have to work on such a nice day.
Regard,
-d

I'd like to toss my '2 cents' in here to recommend the use of the all metal "mav mount". I ordered both the holders for my IPhone 6s Plus and for my IPad Pro (9.7").

Both work excellent with the controller ...especially with the addition of the "hoodman" glare cover for both.

I use an offline phone with my Mavic Pro, it has a sim card but no data connection and it works great - the map is just a plain one but it shows where the Mavic is pointed and where it's been which is enough for me as I normally need it to get the Mavic back or closer. I'm not a fan of Apple but if I was choosing a device to use with the Mavic it would be an iPad Mini 4 as it works reliably with it and the size is a good trade off, gives you a nice big screen but not too big.

I hope you enjoy the Mavic, it's my first drone but I love the portability of it as it's easy to take out a walk with a big camera as well or carry out on the bike.

This Mavic Pro is my fourth of fifth Quad, and in just two days I'm beginning to like it more than ever. I use an iPad Mini 4 also and it's great because it gives me a larger screen as well as a sizeable thing to hang onto.

Thanks for all the advice here, and it's been great learning from you lads.

Many thanks, and good luck to you all in your flying.

Bud

I use an offline phone with my Mavic Pro, it has a sim card but no data connection and it works great - the map is just a plain one but it shows where the Mavic is pointed and where it's been which is enough for me as I normally need it to get the Mavic back or closer. I'm not a fan of Apple but if I was choosing a device to use with the Mavic it would be an iPad Mini 4 as it works reliably with it and the size is a good trade off, gives you a nice big screen but not too big.

I hope you enjoy the Mavic, it's my first drone but I love the portability of it as it's easy to take out a walk with a big camera as well or carry out on the bike.

Hi Bud
There are display supports in the market that fit into the Mavic RC and allow you to use even larger displays. One thing to remember is that all Apple products, if exposed to temperatures higher than 35 deg C, they shut down. So be careful

Christos

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d