DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro owner making problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.. I have moved to the country and can fly my Mavic when ever I want. Here is the problem that I am having. Some one has a Mavic pro in my area and we are talking about maybe 15 homes in a 2 mile area. Well this other Mavic owner has been flying his Mavic into 5 of my neighbors yards for over 6 months and they say he has been 20 and 30 feet off the ground. Also the Mavic owner has been doing this as much as 3 and 4 times a week and even 2 or 3 times a day.

I just moved here and have 10 acres and it's off the main dirt road behind 5 acres and off the main road so you can not see my land from the road at all. I have also had this Mavic owner doing the same thing to me and he was and still is doing it, even when my 3 young teen-aged girls are outside swimming and playing. I talked to the others and they also have young kids. Well I called the police and so have the others. Well the police told me and them to shoot it down. He said we are in the country and people shoot birds, target, ect, all the time and that they would not do anything if said the Mavic was shot down. Well my neighbors have been doing just that but have not got it yet.

I contacted the FAA and they said that they would do nothing and to call the police. Well when the police came out they said if I wanted to file charges that the Mavic owner was Felony trespass and harassment. I have tracked down the Mavic owner from his home flight path and have tried to follow it back to get pictures of the guy/girl/kid doing this. I really do not want to file a report with the police but the others do. On another note I can no longer fly mine around in fear they will now try and shoot my Mavic down. Now they all have bad feelings towards drones. I believe I have found the owner and he said that he does not care and there is nothing you can do about it. He just kept saying prove harassment. I am in Florida and there is a law in the books but it is civil I believe. I have been trying to record him when he comes over my place.

What do you all think I can do or should do? Just think this guy is doing regularly and he will hover at about 40 to 60 feet and circle around. At this point it feels like he is basically spying on me and everything I am doing on my land like I put in a pool and a dog kennel then a garden and so on.
I have never and would not fly close to others homes or land and I always keep moving and stay 300 to 400 ft up.

There are Laws in Florida
HB 1027 // 2017

This law pre-empts local regulation of UAS so that only the Florida Legislature can make laws concerning the use of drones in the state, but allows local governments to enact drone ordinances related to nuisances, voyeurism, harassment, reckless endangerment, property damage, or other illegal acts. This law also prohibits the operation of drones over or near critical infrastructure in most instances, as well as prohibiting the possession or operation of a weaponized UAS.

SB 766 // 2015

This law prohibits the use of a drone to capture an image of privately owned property or the owner, tenant, or occupant of such property without consent if a reasonable expectation of privacy exists.
Buy a cheap unit and kamikaze the quad hovering over your property and bring it down, end of problem!

Reactions: Blades
Gonna play devil's advocate here. Not because I disagree with the viewpoints expressed here, but because I think it's healthy in a discussion to explore all sides.

What is the big deal? Why are people so worried about pictures being taken of them if they are not doing anything that you wouldn't photograph yourself?
Kids at the pool. Parents photograph their own kids and sometimes others' kids all the time.
Do you have any proof that this guy is even filming?
And if he is so what? Are his pictures of neighborhood strangers playing marco polo in their backyard pool going to cause harm to those people?
This reminds me of the african tribes that fear a picture of them will steal their soul. Or the people on the sidewalk that get mad because some photographer may have gotten them in a shot.
Or my personal favorite, facebook or news photos where the kids face is blurred out because they are a minor. How is showing the face of the kid sitting on the motorcycle your trying to sell going to harm the kid.

What is the harm in anyone taking a picture of anyone else? What is the big fear of photography?

Again, just trying to broaden the discussion.
I personally would just hover my drone over his yard until my batteries all died. taste of his own medicine kind of thing.

You took the words right out of my mouth! WTF is the big deal? All the folks on this forum are drone people AND THEY WANT TO SHOOT IT DOWN! WTF IS THAT ALL ABOUT? You all sound like my neighbors, "Shoot it down!" Are your kids swimming naked? What are you hiding? Do you realize that our satellites can take pictures detailed enough to read your license plate from orbit? What about Google Earth? FedEx, UPS, Amazon, & eBay will be using drones to deliver stuff - R U going to shoot them down too? Grow up people! Here is a comment I found some time ago that fits this BS perfectly:

U.A.S. (unmanned aerial systems), Quad-copters or the term DRONES are by Federal Law considered aircraft and regulated by the F.A.A. Under F.A.A. Rules, airspace in the United States is the space above the ground level to the outer limits of the atmosphere. Exceptions would be the building or objects that extend above ground level. These UASs have rules where the locations of flight is prohibited (zones close to airports or military bases, nuclear power plants, state and federal buildings, etc. known as restricted airspace and others). Unless a drone lands on private property it is not trespassing while flying in FAA airspace. Many people believe that the airspace over one's property is theirs, however that is not the case. There are suggested courtesies and restrictions listed on the FAA website for UAS aircraft. As long as no trespass was committed, it was not an invasion of privacy, if anything was seen visible to the eye from the sky. Think about Google Earth who can take photo's of your house and yard and they do! Think about how UPS, FedEx & ?? will be delivering mail & packages soon. Welcome to the 21st century!

Remember! This is simply IMHO ! ! !!

upload_2018-8-11_12-13-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-11_12-13-6.png
    upload_2018-8-11_12-13-6.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 17
That is what I would do. Catch it and see if there is a registration tag, Mavic Pros are over 5 lbs and are supposed to be registered. I wouldn't take the SD card out myself, call the police and let them take it out and view it.

I just weighed my MP & it has landing gear extensions & it only weighs 1 lb 12 oz.

If it's clearly over your property and close enough to down with a shotgun without presenting a danger to people, I don't think you can be charged with discharging a firearm in public. And what can he really do?
Yes you are right.
Well I had a talk to this guy.. and he was very defensive and said there is no laws and you have to prove it excetera. Well when I was in the middle of the 3-hour conversation I was having with him one of the neighbors that heard about it who also has kids came up and handed me two boxes of shotgun shells and said these will take down the drone over your place no problem lol.
Well the guy has been seen out flying but has yet to come over my place or the other Neighbors. Well that's good for now but I am pretty sure it is a 57yr old man and his 70 plus yr old father who are doing it. From what the mail lady said the father is weird and has said some things like nice legs and other comments. So is this guy just a pervert?

Not sure but sitting over not just my kids but the neighbor's kids also. Well we will all go file a report soon with the police. I would like to get a photo of him holding the controller.
He may be in this board reading this If so JUST STOP HOVERING LOW AND SITTING OVER OUR HOMES AND KIDS YOU PERVET... AND TO YOU SAYING YOU CAN DO IT....
READ THIS AGAIN.

Laws in Florida

SB 766 // 2015

This law prohibits the use of a drone to capture an image of privately owned property or the owner, tenant, or occupant of such property without consent if a reasonable expectation of privacy exists.

HB 1027 // 2017

This law pre-empts local regulation of UAS so that only the Florida Legislature can make laws concerning the use of drones in the state, but allows local governments to enact drone ordinances related to nuisances, voyeurism, harassment, reckless endangerment, property damage, or other illegal acts. This law also prohibits the operation of drones over or near critical infrastructure in most instances, as well as prohibiting the possession or operation of a weaponized UAS.

Last edited:
Yes I am sure it is not me Duh.... Really?
What city or county do you live in? Script is not changing but more information was giving.

" it is a 57yr old man and his 70yr old father who are doing it. From what the mail lady said the father is weird"

Probably don't want to escalate things then. In this day and age no telling what Billy Bob and Billy Bob Jr would do.

Reactions: Blades
How about getting all of the other people he is doing this to together and go have a "serious talk" with him. Mention cousin Guido might be called in to solve the problem.
I caught up with him and talked to him and he has not been over yet and has been seen over his property only. But I don't think it will last. He denies having a drone and also said it's not illegal to fly a drone any where someone wants but it's not him! Lol

Police gave you bad advice on the whole shoot it down. Stray bullets have killed people. They travel a long way when shot in the air. Just my thought on this whole thing.
Yes that's why they said and the neighbors use their shotguns I have not yet nor plain to shot at it with a gun but the fishing pole is sitting with 80lbs spider line and a big sinker and if that doesn't not work I will take my 250 racer up and fly acro over my land.
I wanted to see what other MP owners would do. I'm actually surprised with how many say they would shoot it down over their yard/property if it was harassing and flying low obviously filming and watching you.

I agree with bushie. I think the very best thing you can do is just ignore it. It actually can do you no real harm regardless of how it might make you feel. Not that I think the guy should be doing such a creepy thing, but if you make an issue of it with the authorities and the neighbors or seek to damage his drone, you will just be making things harder for all of us and potentially poisoning the social atmosphere of you new home. Unless you are being lewd outdoors, growing illicit crops, storing stolen vehicles, etc. what are you so afraid he's going to see? Some people just like to piss others off and if we let them, we will be perpetuating it.

It's a brand new world. Get used to it!
It really is my young daughters that creeps me out some pervert is filming them or taking pictures of them to use for his personal enjoyment. If you put up a privacy fence around your backyard and then the neighbor from five houses down puts up an 8-foot ladder next to your fence and sits on top filming you and your kids swimming is that okay?

I just don't understand why it would be okay for somebody to hover over you when you know he can easily take crystal clear pictures and video. It has nothing to do with the land owner doing anything illegal. The police and Forestry fly helicopters over the rural areas looking for that kind of stuff and that's fine. It's more of the creepy neighbor that you don't know down the road that knows your habits and all about you and watching your kids. Creepy ......
Now if he was just out flying around and I saw him and found out who he was I would be friends and say let's go fly together sometimes.

It really is my young daughters that creeps me out some pervert is filming them or taking pictures of them to use for his personal enjoyment. If you put up a privacy fence around your backyard and then the neighbor from five houses down puts up an 8-foot ladder next to your fence and sits on top filming you and your kids swimming is that okay?

I just don't understand why it would be okay for somebody to hover over you when you know he can easily take crystal clear pictures and video. It has nothing to do with the land owner doing anything illegal. The police and Forestry fly helicopters over the rural areas looking for that kind of stuff and that's fine. It's more of the creepy neighbor that you don't know down the road that knows your habits and all about you and watching your kids. Creepy ......
Now if he was just out flying around and I saw him and found out who he was I would be friends and say let's go fly together sometimes.

Why don't you do that & get over this "creepy" thing you have...?

Sorry to hear about your problem with other MP owners. It's clear that the person does not follow or care to follow the FAA rules that the rest of us do. One of the stated rules is that a pilot cannot use a UAS for the purpose of surveillance without the permission of the person being filmed. In fact it is a federal crime under the privacy act/laws. The fact that the cops won't take action is in itself a big problem since they are refusing to enforce an existing law. You might try contact the state AG's office for clarification as well as speaking with someone at the FAA that is in a position to clarify the issue.

It sounds like that person causing the problem is either being a real jerk to aggravate others or is bordering on perversion. The cops telling people in the neighborhood to simply shoot down the drone is incompetence on the job and is absolutely not the answer.

U.A.S. (unmanned aerial systems), Quad-copters or the term DRONES are by Federal Law considered aircraft and regulated by the F.A.A. Under F.A.A. Rules, airspace in the United States is the space above the ground level to the outer limits of the atmosphere. Exceptions would be the building or objects that extend above ground level. These UASs have rules where the locations of flight is prohibited (zones close to airports or military bases, nuclear power plants, state and federal buildings, etc. known as restricted airspace and others). Unless a drone lands on private property it is not trespassing while flying in FAA airspace. Many people believe that the airspace over one's property is theirs, however that is not the case. There are suggested courtesies and restrictions listed on the FAA website for UAS aircraft. As long as no trespass was committed, it was not an invasion of privacy, if anything was seen visible to the eye from the sky. Think about Google Earth who can take photo's of your house and yard and they do! Think about how UPS, FedEx & ?? will be delivering mail & packages soon. Welcome to the 21st century!
Again this is IMHO!!

Reactions: Aran
Yes because I do not want to bring random strangers to my home.. Really...
You are wrong..
Sorry I am not going to bring random strangers to my home. Are you going to come up for the weekend and get a hotel? Because it's a 6hr ride from the Skyway bridge to my neighborhood. If that's the case let me know and I will meet you.
I have meet others from here out at different places to fly. I would not expect or ask to go to there home. I do not know them and they do not know me.
So if that's your reason that I am the PERVET just move on to a different post.

Why don't you do that & get over this "creepy" thing you have...?

You have to be kidding? Post your address so that when you have friends or family over to BBQ we can send our noisy drones over and hang out. Sheesh...

Last edited:
Well out in the country it is not illegal to shoot guns. You can shoot as many guns as you want and nobody can do anything about it. You can also ride your four wheelers and dirt bikes and let your dogs run free all on your property. You ever hear of hunting skeet shooting.

Sorry to hear about your problem with other MP owners. It's clear that the person does not follow or care to follow the FAA rules that the rest of us do. One of the stated rules is that a pilot cannot use a UAS for the purpose of surveillance without the permission of the person being filmed. In fact it is a federal crime under the privacy act/laws. The fact that the cops won't take action is in itself a big problem since they are refusing to enforce an existing law. You might try contact the state AG's office for clarification as well as speaking with someone at the FAA that is in a position to clarify the issue.

It sounds like that person causing the problem is either being a real jerk to aggravate others or is bordering on perversion. The cops telling people in the neighborhood to simply shoot down the drone is incompetence on the job and is absolutely not the answer.
Yes you are right. But we have no real proof other then seeing it take off and land in his back yard but most out here own big chunks of land and it's hard to get a photo. It's not that the police will not do it they told me it was felony harassment and trespassing. As for shooting down the Drone they said if it was me and it was over my backyard while you know people clay shoot and shoot it birds and squirrels with their shotguns all the time and if it happened to go down they would do nothing about.
The guy is a jerk and he thinks it is not against the law to hover over people's property and film them as long as he does not post the videos online and he cannot be sued or get in trouble.

Again this is IMHO!!
Where is the law that says I can not take my quad 250 racer and have a mid air accident?

"A few of us including myself offered to come over, see for ourselves what's going on. We live in Florida.

15 acres isn't much land. **** sure not enough to be pointing a shot gun or any other gun up in the air and pulling trigger."

Gonna go down there and straighten things out are ya? LOL.
And your knowledge of guns is very unimpressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147