DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro owner making problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK there are only 2 things that are illegal now, 1) flying above 400feet, and 2) keep in visual line of sight. If the visual line of sight is illegal in the US, could you use that to your advantage?

Not really true with the UK. Also add flying within 50m of persons or property. 150m of crowds or built up areas (and no overflight). And the legal catch-all, endangering an aircraft in flight. Oh and the DPA and privacy laws....

Reactions: Blades
So you know who the loser is?

Why out yourself in the shooter category then? There are so many ways of taking care of an idiot outside of being the guy who shoots at drones...

Whatever works but the last thing I’d have to resort to is shooting anything at a drone. Get your local news to film as you knock on their door to ask the moron to stop flying to your house and filming. The tough guy **** stops when the camera is rolling in most cases

Gonna play devil's advocate here. Not because I disagree with the viewpoints expressed here, but because I think it's healthy in a discussion to explore all sides.

What is the big deal? Why are people so worried about pictures being taken of them if they are not doing anything that you wouldn't photograph yourself?
Kids at the pool. Parents photograph their own kids and sometimes others' kids all the time.
Do you have any proof that this guy is even filming?
And if he is so what? Are his pictures of neighborhood strangers playing marco polo in their backyard pool going to cause harm to those people?
This reminds me of the african tribes that fear a picture of them will steal their soul. Or the people on the sidewalk that get mad because some photographer may have gotten them in a shot.
Or my personal favorite, facebook or news photos where the kids face is blurred out because they are a minor. How is showing the face of the kid sitting on the motorcycle your trying to sell going to harm the kid.

What is the harm in anyone taking a picture of anyone else? What is the big fear of photography?

Again, just trying to broaden the discussion.
I personally would just hover my drone over his yard until my batteries all died. taste of his own medicine kind of thing.

If he’s that low, it might actually be possible. Anyway, even if direct contact was never made, he might get scared off by the aggressive approaches.
Definitely sounds like fun though:)
Well he was out at the neighbor's place which is actually closer to where we think he's flying from. They texted me for a heads up. So I got my Mavic and DJI goggles on and send it up to the tree line and scanned the sky for the other Mavic.
I was thinking I could chase him and I would have a bit more battery life. Unfortunately he just did a fly by the neighbor's place and they were waiting for him with the shot gun lol and he must of see him because he headed back the direction where we are sure he is from.

He never came by my place at all. I did go up to 350ft and took a picture. I sent it to my neighbor and they were surprised how clear and how much you could zoom in. They had no idea it could take that good a picture.

Gonna play devil's advocate here. Not because I disagree with the viewpoints expressed here, but because I think it's healthy in a discussion to explore all sides.

What is the big deal? Why are people so worried about pictures being taken of them if they are not doing anything that you wouldn't photograph yourself?
Kids at the pool. Parents photograph their own kids and sometimes others' kids all the time.
And if he is so what? Are his pictures of neighborhood strangers playing marco polo in their backyard pool going to cause harm to those people?
This reminds me of the african tribes that fear a picture of them will steal their soul. Or the people on the sidewalk that get mad because some photographer may have gotten them in a shot.
Or my personal favorite, facebook or news photos where the kids face is blurred out because they are a minor. How is showing the face of the kid sitting on the motorcycle your trying to sell going to harm the kid.

What is the harm in anyone taking a picture of anyone else? What is the big fear of photography?

I personally would just hover my drone over his yard until my batteries all died. taste of his own medicine kind of thing.
I feel out at a public place that you have to expect that.
Well you could try to fly over your local sheriff's home a few times a day and 4 or 5 times a week and see what he does. I do not think he would like that as I am sure many of you would not like that. Now it is different if you know or are friendly with the guy flying it.
But at your home let's say where you have 60 acres and a home in the middle of your forest you want to swim in the nude or do some sunbathing or just drink beers with friends ect. Do You think it would not be a big deal for someone that lives somewhere close to you but you do not know who or where he is or his intentions. But he knows who you are and what you drive how many cars and people live there.
He knows when you are home or not ect. But you do not know why he finds you so interesting or is it he is a pervert trying to look at your 3 teenage girls? Or just say a wacko and wants to kidnap or rape your wife or teenage girls? I can tell you it will take the police 20 mins to get to us from town. Is he trying to scope out my new Harley sitting out in my driveway or my tractor or anything I may have inside? Ether way keep moving over others property and definitely DO NOT EVER SIT ABOVE THEM AND THEN KEEP DOING IT. Mind you at 40ft well that's my tree hight and he has came down to 20ft in the front yard.
**** I want you to be at least 200ft and keep it moving. I think that would be ok with most others. I am sure some others would not mind and I am sure they leave the keys in the car and the doors and windows unlocked at there home at all times and good for them. I am not that person I do expect some privacy at my home and that is why I moved out of the city.

Reactions: MavicCF
So you know who the loser is?

Why out yourself in the shooter category then? There are so many ways of taking care of an idiot outside of being the guy who shoots at drones...

Whatever works but the last thing I’d have to resort to is shooting anything at a drone. Get your local news to film as you knock on their door to ask the moron to stop flying to your house and filming. The tough guy **** stops when the camera is rolling in most cases
Yes we'll I think I know who it is but he denies owning a drone but then argues how they have a legal right to film anywhere they want even 10 feet off the ground looking in your windows. I have not shot at the Drone and I actually tried to go knocking on the door and talk to the guy which around here you might possibly get shot doing that. Some large strange man walking up knocking on someone's door in the woods lol. I need to get him in a picture flying it to prove it is him.
As for shooting it down my other Neighbors have from what they told me and the police officer told me to do it as he did tell them that he would shoot it down if it was hanging around his home. I was trying to see what others would do if this was going on to them.
I love drones and hate to see more excuses for people to make up new rules and regulations but if people cannot use basic common sense and respect for other people then we may lose all of our rights to use them.

I hear ya but if law enforcement is telling your neighbors to shoot it down they are idiots with badges that shouldn’t have public safety positions.

Camp out of his place in your car and watch for signs of the Mavic Pro, then make your move.

Other wise the end results of banging off a shotgun at a drone will be just as bad publicity as people claiming Drone owners are pervs with air cameras.

The issue is an invasion of privacy. Plain and simple. I don't do anything illegal but it still isn't any of your business to monitor me. If you think it isn't a problem then you are more dystopian than you realize. If you don't understand this, then you maybe should read 1984 by George Orwell.

I hear ya but if law enforcement is telling your neighbors to shoot it down they are idiots with badges that shouldn’t have public safety positions.

Camp out of his place in your car and watch for signs of the Mavic Pro, then make your move.

Other wise the end results of banging off a shotgun at a drone will be just as bad publicity as people claiming Drone owners are pervs with air cameras.
Yes and that's why I'm trying to actually catch him in the ACT flying it so we have someplace to send the police. I just thought I would post on here with other Mavic owners and maybe they may have an idea or know something that I could do or try to find out for sure who the guy is or how to stop it. I did look at the FAA data zip code but no one but me has registered in my zip lol. The FAA does not care if you fly out of site or really anything unless you post videos or actually hit a plane or helicopter.

Yes and that's why I'm trying to actually catch him in the ACT flying it so we have someplace to send the police. I just thought I would post on here with other Mavic owners and maybe they may have an idea or know something that I could do or try to find out for sure who the guy is or how to stop it. I did look at the FAA data zip code but no one but me has registered in my zip lol. The FAA does not care if you fly out of site or really anything unless you post videos or actually hit a plane or helicopter.

Yup stick to catching him in the act and then think about the best next move. I’ve had somebody confront me when flying claiming I was a guy trying to look at people & I had to just laugh it off since flying an Acro quads at 70 mph isn’t exactly sneaking around. There will always be dumb people... well because of the people part & that’ll never change

The issue is an invasion of privacy. Plain and simple. I don't do anything illegal but it still isn't any of your business to monitor me. If you think it isn't a problem then you are more dystopian than you realize. If you don't understand this, then you maybe should read 1984 by George Orwell.
I agree with you!

Read it thanks.
What expectation of privacy should you have when you are outside?
Is it only cameras that you are aware of that bother you?
I get the privacy thing I do, but really, if I'm laying by the pool in the sun and a drone flies over and maybe records me by the pool, how am I damaged?
If the government is monitoring my activities, that's an infringement on my rights no doubt. If the neighbor flies over and again maybe records something, does it limit my freedoms?
Is my right to sunbathe naked more important than his right to legally operate his flying camera? If it is, why is it legal to sell flying cameras?

I'm not stating an opinion here mind you. Just asking questions.
I wouldn't be overjoyed to see a drone over my back yard either, but if you can navigate through the forest of ponderosa's I have, you might just earn the privilege.

Reactions: Aran
I don't think it's even a case of buddy flying by to see what's up... It the repeated flying. Constantly doing it up close.

I agree, you're outside and 'fair game' for once, twice. Or 100 to 200 ft up sure... But it's clear this guy is trying to watch the people. Not the area.

I

What a jerk... I think I’d get a few green lasers and paint the camera with them each time the guy flies around. In fact I’d pass them around my neighborhood. If you get hassled I’d say I was pointing out a star.
200_s.gif

Green lasers all around. ;)

Reactions: NinjaNut and Blades
I feel out at a public place that you have to expect that.
Well you could try to fly over your local sheriff's home a few times a day and 4 or 5 times a week and see what he does. I do not think he would like that as I am sure many of you would not like that. Now it is different if you know or are friendly with the guy flying it.
But at your home let's say where you have 60 acres and a home in the middle of your forest you want to swim in the nude or do some sunbathing or just drink beers with friends ect. Do You think it would not be a big deal for someone that lives somewhere close to you but you do not know who or where he is or his intentions. But he knows who you are and what you drive how many cars and people live there.
He knows when you are home or not ect. But you do not know why he finds you so interesting or is it he is a pervert trying to look at your 3 teenage girls? Or just say a wacko and wants to kidnap or rape your wife or teenage girls? I can tell you it will take the police 20 mins to get to us from town. Is he trying to scope out my new Harley sitting out in my driveway or my tractor or anything I may have inside? Ether way keep moving over others property and definitely DO NOT EVER SIT ABOVE THEM AND THEN KEEP DOING IT. Mind you at 40ft well that's my tree hight and he has came down to 20ft in the front yard.
**** I want you to be at least 200ft and keep it moving. I think that would be ok with most others. I am sure some others would not mind and I am sure they leave the keys in the car and the doors and windows unlocked at there home at all times and good for them. I am not that person I do expect some privacy at my home and that is why I moved out of the city.

Oh you're the sheriff. Ya that's dumb. Shouldn't be harassing you like that. Why not just go arrest the dude? (I know you're not the sheriff. I'm wondering why you brought him into it.)
You have 60 acres, a hot wife, 3 hot daughters, a Harley and a tractor. Wow. Good for you. Now I want to fly over your property. Seriously though, If you live in that rural of an environment, just shoot the thing down.

Do thieves, rapists and kidnappers have a history of drone surveilling their targets? I suppose that's possible but just doesn't seem likely. It's not like they're sneaky. None of those types tend to want to draw a lot of attention. Yunno like a drone would.

What you want is nice but irrelevant because you don't control the NAS. Shoot it down and deal with the consequences, or learn to live with it.

Had a soccer coach once say, "You don't have to stop the ball, just stop your opponent". Why chase the drone home when you know where it's going? Have your neighbors call when they see it and you beat it home with yours and find him holding the remote.

Reactions: Malcx and Blades

Can u picture both ur Mavic and my Mavic each carrying one end of a net and catching his drone?! That would be cool but the logistics and coordination between us would be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmy poole