DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Quickshots.....

I'm new at this, and the simultaneous adjustments of both sticks and the gimbal while keeping the subject centered, and panning, rotating, and changing elevation smoothly, are not easy. I understand that will get better with experience, but frankly, I think Quickshots produces a better result than even an experienced pilot like you, as far as smoothness and keeping the subject centered. I mean no offense by that, as that's certainly much better than I can do. But personally, I really appreciate the fact that even a beginner like me can whip out the drone, and fairly quickly and easily capture a pretty good looking complex shot, and even do that with myself in the frame, and being part of the environment rather than starring down at the remote.
The main advantage for any of the Intelligent Flight Modes is that the beginners can "fly" them easily. For people that can fly them manually, the only real use for these modes would be if they wanted a video of themselves not flying.

I'm not very good with them either, but the concept of manually flying these modes isn't complicated. To fly a circle around something (Point of Interest mode), simply move sideways slowly and add just enough yaw to keep the camera point at the subject. Hold the sticks still and it will fly a circle around the subject. If you want to spiral upwards at the same time (Helix mode), you just need to add a little "throttle" to climb slowly. Again, holding the sticks still once you get the motion you desire. You can also have the spiral increase in diameter (might be part of the Helix mode, not sure) by throwing in a little reverse pitch.

The part that I have the hardest time with it adjusting the gimbal smoothly as I'm changing altitude during these maneuvers. Just can't get the hang of that dang wheel.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
The main advantage for any of the Intelligent Flight Modes is that the beginners can "fly" them easily. For people that can fly them manually, the only real use for these modes would be if they wanted a video of themselves not flying.

I'm not very good with them either, but the concept of manually flying these modes isn't complicated. To fly a circle around something (Point of Interest mode), simply move sideways slowly and add just enough yaw to keep the camera point at the subject. Hold the sticks still and it will fly a circle around the subject. If you want to spiral upwards at the same time (Helix mode), you just need to add a little "throttle" to climb slowly. Again, holding the sticks still once you get the motion you desire. You can also have the spiral increase in diameter (might be part of the Helix mode, not sure) by throwing in a little reverse pitch.

The part that I have the hardest time with it adjusting the gimbal smoothly as I'm changing altitude during these maneuvers. Just can't get the hang of that dang wheel.
I find the farther my MP is away from the object,the less I have to adjust the gimbal,as I climb. I also don't climb that much while rotating around the object,since it really dosen't add that much to the overall effect. I'm not sure if you could use the POI Mode,and just add throttle as it circled? That would be simple!

Nope, look a little closer and you will see me decend,as I'm setting it up,and climb as I circle around,and pull away from the tree! A helix can be 180,360, reverse,start out high and go low,while comming in closer,ect. The "helix" is nothing more than widening the circle,while climbing,or decending,be it 180 360,ect! Circling around a object (nose in) at the same altitude is called a funnel,or as DJI tries to state it,a POI! These manuvers have been done for years by heli pilots. The Helix "mode" is DJI's idea of what a helix is,like the term they use for the Transmitter the (RC)?o_O RC means Radio Control,not "Transmitter"!:rolleyes:

Being so far away from the subject certainly makes the maneuver much easier. It's nearly impossible for the subject to be out of frame at any time, almost impossible to see any upward or downward movement in the drone or even need to move the gimble up and down. The Helix mode allows the pilot to be very close to the subject, again... something that would be next to impossible for a pilot to do. Helix mode

Here is an okay example of Helix mode:

In this example, the Mavic is close enough to the subject that you can actually see it gain altitude. It's also close enough to where the gimble needs to be adjusted. Lastly, the subject is moving in this example so that the circle needs to be adjusted to compensate as well. It's shots like this where the Helix mode can do what a pilot cannot.

[edit: example starts at 2:00]

I'd love to see an example of a manual Helix flight with the subject moving at the same time. Heck, even with a stationary subject that move would be extremely difficult.

Correct, but sometimes YOU might want to be the subject of the video by yourself, or with friends, and its nice to not have the shot of you with the remote controller in it. With the Quickshot mode, you can set it, put the controller down and let it do its thing.

Reactions: Daptone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks