DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Shutter Speed/Motion Blur issue after crash

judge247

Reactions
I recently purchased the Mavic and was very impressed. After about an hour in beginner mode I got too confident and turned it off. I ended up crashing the drone into a tree. The drone's props had broken and the drone itself had minor aesthetic damage, a couple of scrapes. However after getting it back into the air with a full new set of props, an abnormal gimbal vibration warning appeared on the DJI Go app, as well as very shaky and distorted footage due to this vibration. I then discovered that the gimbal had slipped out of the L shaped mount on the body of the drone and was vibrating against the body in flight. I managed to get the gimbal back into the mount, once back in the air the warning did not appear again and the footage was nice and stable.

Upon reviewing footage taken after the crash however I noticed a much more noticeable rolling shutter effect when panning/yawing the drone. Also the motion blur seemed to be much more apparent and to me not as smooth and sharp as the footage captured before the crash.

I have uploaded a video to Youtube which demonstrates the issue better.

The before and after footage are shot in two very different weather conditions which could effect on this, as well as shutter speed and exposure settings. I had the camera settings on automatic settings on both before and after footage.
I would like to know if this is a problem with a solution or am I just being over critical, I have been worrying quiet a bit after the crash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am happy to upload an additional video or photos if needed.

Thanks!

I recently purchased the Mavic and was very impressed. After about an hour in beginner mode I got too confident and turned it off. I ended up crashing the drone into a tree. The drone's props had broken and the drone itself had minor aesthetic damage, a couple of scrapes. However after getting it back into the air with a full new set of props, an abnormal gimbal vibration warning appeared on the DJI Go app, as well as very shaky and distorted footage due to this vibration. I then discovered that the gimbal had slipped out of the L shaped mount on the body of the drone and was vibrating against the body in flight. I managed to get the gimbal back into the mount, once back in the air the warning did not appear again and the footage was nice and stable.

Upon reviewing footage taken after the crash however I noticed a much more noticeable rolling shutter effect when panning/yawing the drone. Also the motion blur seemed to be much more apparent and to me not as smooth and sharp as the footage captured before the crash.

I have uploaded a video to Youtube which demonstrates the issue better.

The before and after footage are shot in two very different weather conditions which could effect on this, as well as shutter speed and exposure settings. I had the camera settings on automatic settings on both before and after footage.
I would like to know if this is a problem with a solution or am I just being over critical, I have been worrying quiet a bit after the crash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am happy to upload an additional video or photos if needed.

Thanks!

What Cyberpower said wrt to exposure. I've pretty much given up on 4K and shoot 2.7K/24 fps. I'll be trying 30 fps again soon. I also shoot with a ND 8 filter most of the time. This has improved video quality greatly. (As has reducing the sensitivity of the yaw control which I notice in your video is a bit harsh. Suggest gimbal pitch be calmed down too). The video linked here is a bit long but at least he puts up the basic numbers early in the video.

All that said, following your crash, I would invoke a gimbal calibration next time you're out. Takes 1 minute.

What Cyberpower said wrt to exposure. I've pretty much given up on 4K and shoot 2.7K/24 fps. I'll be trying 30 fps again soon. I also shoot with a ND 8 filter most of the time. This has improved video quality greatly. (As has reducing the sensitivity of the yaw control which I notice in your video is a bit harsh. Suggest gimbal pitch be calmed down too). The video linked here is a bit long but at least he puts up the basic numbers early in the video.

All that said, following your crash, I would invoke a gimbal calibration next time you're out. Takes 1 minute.

Thanks guys for getting in touch so quickly, it's reassuring to hear your advice!

I knew that the lighting/weather conditions would be a factor, I am looking to invest in some nd filters, as well as other accessories.

I forgot to mention this in the original post but I did have to correct the gimbal roll as it was off kilter and I have done multiple gimbal calibrations.

I think after the crash I have been overthinking/overanalysing the footage and I wanted to post something to just see if there was an actual problem or like you say, something that can be solved with control and camera settings.

Reactions: Clear Water WI
Thanks guys for getting in touch so quickly, it's reassuring to hear your advice!

I knew that the lighting/weather conditions would be a factor, I am looking to invest in some nd filters, as well as other accessories.

I forgot to mention this in the original post but I did have to correct the gimbal roll as it was off kilter and I have done multiple gimbal calibrations.

I think after the crash I have been overthinking/overanalysing the footage and I wanted to post something to just see if there was an actual problem or like you say, something that can be solved with control and camera settings.

I went pretty nuts at first too...!

I've been looking back at my early days footage from so long ago (a few weeks) v. more recent footage and the quality difference is huge. Combination of experience, settings (camera and drone) and manner of operating.

I've also shot some very low saturation, soft footage for processing in Da Vinci Resolve - have to learn that now, in particular colour grading. I have next to 0 video editing experience (but lots with photoshop/raw processing).

I suggest to do an IMU calibration as well then reset the camera to it's default settings.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke