DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic sensor making sputtering sound

larkin

Reactions
One of the two downward facing sensors of Mavic is making a light sputtering sound. I think it's only coming from one because when I cover one of them with my finger it mutes the sound but not when I cover the other.

Does anyone else hear this sound? It's quite faint but can be heard from a few feet away.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

That's perfectly normal.

why does the other one dont make the stutter noise?
I don't know the intimate technical details of those sensors. I'm just confirming all Mavics work like the OP described above.

This is normal. It's the ultra sound sensor. Most humans can't hear it because the frequency is very high. Some humans can however. I'm one of them. One sensor projects the sound and the other receives the reflection of the sound to gauge the ground.

One is the transmitter and one is the receiver. That's why only one makes the noise. And camera microphones are usually extra sensitive past the normal frequencies of human hearing.

I for one can hear mine every time it's turned on inside (where there isn't a lot of external noise like outside). But I've been able to hear the whine of a CRT television from 2 rooms over my whole life. "Blessed" I suppose to have extended high range hearing still, even though I'm in my mid 30's now.

Always wore custom earplugs when I was playing in bands or going to loud concerts. Those things are awesome.

Thats the sonar. If its on hardwood floor you'll hear it a lot better than on carpet or grass or something soft like that. The Mavic uses it to calculate height.

Reactions: larkin
Mid 30s is when old age starts now?

Glad my Mav's chatty dolphin powers are normal.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

Lol... yeah. So they say only kids and teenagers can hear those high type ultrasonic tones. It's because as we get older the cilia in our ears get more and more damaged due to semi normal environmental factors.

So I played music in bands since I was 14 (more on than off). My parents made me go to the local ear clinic and get custom 'musicians earplugs'. These are molded to my ear and have a small canal with a pop in filter so that high frequencies get blocked while the overall sound can still make it to your ear drum. They are great! If I had to wear the solid foam ones I never would.
Anyhow my friend (who was in the band with me) never wore anything and he's nearly deaf in one ear and only has 40% in the other. He can't hear the sensors on his P4P either!

Just my 2 cents on that- and get some earplugs if your kid if they are in a band!

Just dug this thread up.

I've just had a new Mavic delivered under warranty and it's buzzing, which stops when you put your finger over the downward sensor.

The last one definitely did not make any noise whatsoever, other than beeps and fan noise, obviously.

Last edited:
I just turned my mavic on and in a quiet room I can hear it lol. Didn't even realise that it made that noise till I saw this thread.

But if it's normal then that's fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan