DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic unstable hovering

Essence

Reactions
Recently had too many issues with my mavic, while I was taking a flight out to test my Gimbal, I couldn't help but realize my mavic isn't hovering as steady as it should be.

I have uploaded a video to help explain my findings

There wasn't any strong winds at all.
The remote stick was untouched and I was not controlling anything.
The mavic was hovering up and down.
Had good gps reception
No warnings whatsoever

Can anyone tell me if my mavic is crying for DJI to have look at it.

Last edited:
It's too dark.
Please, don't think I want to make a joke out of this. Is it too dark for the MP to hover static or is the video too dark for you to notice the problem?
I would assume that for hovering, the only info the MP should consider is the accelerometer; it should act on the motors to achieve 0 acceleration in the three axis. I cant see how light may affect hovering (unless it is randomly detecting something in front, but then it would move back and forth, not up and down).

Reactions: Essence
It was hovering so badly that I thought it would smash right into the ground.

I cant see anything in the video it's completely black!
We cannot see the problem you are talking about.

Rob

Is it too dark for the MP to hover static or is the video too dark for you to notice the problem?
The downward vision sensors are disabled when flying at night and/or in dark conditions. Since those sensors are not being used, your Mavic won't be able to hold its position as well. Try that test again during the day and you should notice it's able to hold its position.

Last edited:
The downward vision sensors are disabled when flying at night and/or in dark conditions. Since those sensors are not being used, your Mavic won't be able to hold its horizontal position as well. Try that test again during the day and you should notice it's able to hold its position.

Reason why I posted was because I have flown a couple of times in the same conditions and lightings, right at the same spot and never encountered any bad hovering. Will try it again in the day and give an update. Thanks for sharing something useful.

The downward vision sensors are disabled when flying at night and/or in dark conditions. Since those sensors are not being used, your Mavic won't be able to hold its position as well. Try that test again during the day and you should notice it's able to hold its position.
I am confused.... I thought downside sensors were ultrasonic; So light (or lack of) shouldn't affect their readings (that is how bats manage to fly in complete darkness after all)

I am confused.... I thought downside sensors were ultrasonic; So light (or lack of) shouldn't affect their readings (that is how bats manage to fly in complete darkness after all)

Are the frontal sensors the same as the downward? Cause I know that obstacles avoidance would not work under Low light ambience as warned by the RC.

Please, don't think I want to make a joke out of this. Is it too dark for the MP to hover static or is the video too dark for you to notice the problem?
I would assume that for hovering, the only info the MP should consider is the accelerometer; it should act on the motors to achieve 0 acceleration in the three axis. I cant see how light may affect hovering (unless it is randomly detecting something in front, but then it would move back and forth, not up and down).
It uses the VPS to hover at lower altitudes and GPS at high altitudes. It's too dark for the sensors.

Reactions: newguy
On a side note. Why is the drone blinking red from time to time in the video? is it the insufficient light warning or what?

I am confused.... I thought downside sensors were ultrasonic
Look on the bottom side of your Mavic. You will see both ultrasonic sensors and cameras.

Reactions: mijac
Is it just me or did no one else notice the solid red light at the start of the video? Then changed to flashing green. Solid red is critical error indicator correct?

Here's a photo of the bottom:

Mavic-Pro-Bottom.jpg

Is it just me or did no one else notice the solid red light at the start of the video? Then changed to flashing green. Solid red is critical error indicator correct?
I noticed it too. But it wasn't persistent. It's probably an IMU calibration error.

I wasn't prompt of any warnings at all, everything looks fine on the RC & DJI GO.

Just spoke to DJI support, they said the hovering problem could be fixed with a recalibration of imu, compass etc, but that's what they always tell you to do when you have a problem don't they?

It would be worth a try for sure. Do it and watch the light on the back of the drone when you start it back up. No red light all good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78