DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Video in 4k but on low HD on smartphone

kato3200

Reactions
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and have my drone now for 2 weeks.
beginner with drones and photography. it is great fun to fly and learn

this is maybe a stupid question about shooting videos but i cant figure it out.

mavic is recording video in 4k or fullHD (doesnt matter) and i can watch them in this resolution on the go4 app from the mavic SD card.

but all videos i get on my smortphone (HTC U11) and in the editor from the app are switched down to HD resolution and lower size. i have plenty of space left on my phone. is this normal?

i wanted to make a collection of all my videos to watch on my 4k TV.
do i have to put out mavic SD card, put it directly to a pc..or how do you guys do that?

thanks in advance

Yes, you are on the right track. Pull out the SD card from the Mavic and place in a PC / Mac. Then download the Full HD resolution videos to the PC/Mac. The SD card holds the higher resolution copies of the video and the lower resolution is on the device used to fly the Mavic if you have the Cache Video to Device setting turned on (which obviously you do) .

thanks for your help.
i guess there isnt an option that you get it in original resolution oh the phone? :/
it would be way easier to directly send them to friends or just edit them in the right resolution on the phone

Video editing of 4 K footage on ones phone? Thats a processor and GPU intensive operation. Phones would be dog slow trying to attempt this.

Reactions: wsteele
im trying 2.7k and fullhd again. but i think they all went down to 1.2k on the phone

The video cached to your device is of the same quality streamed to it by the drone.

You should have the option, at the end of a flight, of downloading the full quality version direct to your device (I know it works for photo, not sure about video).

Alternatively, put the microSD from the Mavic into your PC/Mac and copy the files off.

...mavic is recording video in 4k or fullHD (doesnt matter) and i can watch them in this resolution on the go4 app from the mavic SD card.

but all videos i get on my smortphone (HTC U11) and in the editor from the app are switched down to HD resolution and lower size. i have plenty of space left on my phone. is this normal?...
Yes, it is normal. The Mavic saves 4k to the SD card but transmits the video in lower quality to save bandwidth/processing time on your phone. If it tried to display 4k in real time it would probably interfere with other radio operations and come out choppy. It is best to download from the SD card to a computer with a lot of RAM and high-quality video card, especially if you are going to do any editing. The cached versions on your phone are just so you can review on site.

Yes, it is normal. The Mavic saves 4k to the SD card but transmits the video in lower quality to save bandwidth/processing time on your phone. If it tried to display 4k in real time it would probably interfere with other radio operations and come out choppy. It is best to download from the SD card to a computer with a lot of RAM and high-quality video card, especially if you are going to do any editing. The cached versions on your phone are just so you can review on site.

Thanks for reiterating that in clearly understandable terms.

What I did was to buy a usb stick that reads memory cards and connect it to my android. That way it is easier to transfer files to my phone. Then use the free mxplayer app to watch the videos.

A quick way of watching files is using a usb card reader plugged directly into TV.

I sometimes do this to get an idea of what clips are worth keeping for editing after flight.

It needs to be a USB3 reader and USB3 socket though for 4K
My reader and ports are USB3, think most new 4k TVs are.

I would have thought USB2 would have been fine as well for a mavic 60mb/s 4k file, but would depend on what codecs the TV supported.

I’m on an iPhone 8 Plus. I use an sd adapter to import full res footage to my phone. From there I sort it out on google photos or throw together something to share with friends. Exporting a 30sec 4K clip through iMovie takes about a minute for me. But your mileage may vary with an older device.

thanks all for clearing this up. didnt expect this much help!
we have ****** weather actullay in germany all day, snow rain winds every day so drone needs to rest :(

i ordered an usb3/cardreader adapter for my desktop pc to save the files, so i can edit and put on my external HD for the 4k TV
hope the pc can do the job for video editing, 5 years old, maybe time to buy a new one anyway with 4k screen and good gfx card.

any quick advice what free programm for video editing is good for beginners on windows10? like just cutting scenes, add music and such in an easy way

good weekend everyone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki