DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic video looks like **** !

went from a P3P and I see that the mavic Pics and Vids are no where near the same as my P3P ... Which took amazing Videos and Photos! The Mavic is lacking in that area BUT you have to give up some to get the SMALL TRAVEL package.. Im kicking my self for selling the P3P now.. could of used the Mavic for travel and the P3P for road trips.. , but you are correct the Mavic is lacking compared to my P3P ..
I agree. I sort of kept the P3 by giving it to my son in law . We fly often together and compare footage. Under various conditions the P3 seems to have an edge over the Mavic when it comes to photos. The only difference is, and that's why I don't regret going for the Mavic, he turns up with a huge case containing the P3 gear, I turn up with a little handbag. That counts when you climb up mountains for example.
If there is an optimum setting for the Mavic camera it would be extremely useful if that would the default setting when the Mavic is switched on.
Also do not expect professional miracles from such a small sensor camera. The Mavic camera is a cheap thing comparable to certain GoPros.
For real professional results get an Octocopter with a decent camera underneath. It's just a question of one's budget.
That all said with good postprocessing skills Mavic video looks amazingly good on our 75 inch 4 k tv.

Reactions: SeaComms
Yes, very nice videos indeed !
I also use a Sony A7R M2 for land based photo and video. Brilliant stabilisation and 42 megapixel sensor plus top class lenses.
Nothing of that is remotely comparable to GoPros or Mavic cameras. The Mavic is a relatively cheap consumer product with very acceptable video for shooting holiday videos and similar. For professional aerial video and photo you could get a decent hex or octocopter with a strong enough gimble to hold your relatively light Sony 100 for example. We have done that with a German Hexacopter .That will give you good professional footage but at a very much higher cost. These also require good flying skills.
When you crash these that gets really expensive and it happened to us.
The Mavic almost flies by itself with the available apps. For the compact travel size and what it offers to the average consumer the Mavic is at the moment unbeatable.
There seem to be quite a few Mavics around with simply bad cams. Quality control at DJI was obviously sleeping there. It sounds and looks like that you might have one of those lemons. Go and change it under warranty.

It sounds like you are the troll. I am trying to make this work so I can use the mavic for projects and am having trouble with the image quality.

I posted this as a sample earlier on in the thread. Not sure why it didn't post correctly.

Just move on to something else if you don't like image quality. More than enough people here have given you advise. I have had no problems with realtors buying my product but I understand it's just an expensive toy with a camera.

Reactions: mojo43
I think the quality is OK, I mean yes you cannot do a commercial movie but I wouldnt say its trash. Low light is a challenge for the small sensor, specially if you like keeping your filters on.
I have noted that my video "Pulses" when there is semi low light and its cloudy, the video just "pulsates" as if focusing unstoppably.

Unfortunately you bought the wrong drone for getting that kind of video quality.

You need to think of your Mavic as your go to drone for getting discrete shots and buy a Inspire2 for your main drone.
I bet you will still find the Mavic very useful.

Rob

This is true. He want's the best of both worlds in one drone and I do too! Unfortunately, you cannot have it right now. You have to choose. I went with the Mavic. Some days I still wish I'd gotten the P4P but it would be the same thing in reverse had I gone that route. It's tough, and I hope the MP2 will solve this dilemma.

Reactions: mojo43 and Kestrel
Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

(from the other side of the coin)

You should ask for your money back.

Why do people bag the camera when it is usually the settings, operator error, editing procedures, computer or really poor graphics and processor.

Actually if you read the OP, his view is that he has never really seen decent enough video from any Mavic that meets his professional needs. As such I feel quite the opposite - the OP is simply being 'heroically optimistic' to believe that he with the right settings, editing procedures, computer and software can produce vastly superior footage to everyone else.

I would have thought that the obvious point is that the Mavic has a smartphone sized sensor (the same as the HTC 10) and therefore is limited in terms of dynamic range, iso performance etc as well as processing power that I would guess is well below a smartphone. Within those parameters, I feel the quality of videos others produce to easily match my expectations. To be honest, if I employed a professional drone videographer, I would be a bit peeved if he turned up with a camera with a smartphone sensor, in much the same way as a professional photographer turning up with an iphone 7+. DJI makes a large range of drones for professional use - even the next step up - P4P - gets you a 1inch Sony sensor (RX100 size) which is 4 times the size of the Mavics.

If DJI could really produce a drone that virtually fits in your pocket, capable of producing professional DSLR video quality for US$1k, it would rather make its other drones redundant.

IMG_0093.JPG I agree but knowing the limitations of this unit before buying it should be paramount. If it cost 4 times as much then yes be disappointed. It's still amazing how far we have come in digital photos over last decade or so.
I still remember having a phone with something like a 5 megapixel camera.
With the amount of data though that can be captured it is still possible to bring out a fairly good image. Just needs a bit more work to produce.
I have a friend who won't show any of his photos on anything other than a 4K screen, he does all his editing from RAW in a professional editing suite. Even his Sony Xperia Z5 phone footage is incredible.

I am talking about the sharpened parts of the image. It contains really bad halos and aliasing. Actually I have only seen a few samples of video that doesn't contain this on the web. Does anyone have any clean footage that they can share? I would love to be proven wrong.
You will unlikely get clean image of MAVIC , aliasing is a huge issue...this was best I could do to date but havent' spent enough time on it...Phantom 3 Pro is better with less aliasing..

You will unlikely get clean image of MAVIC , aliasing is a huge issue...this was best I could do to date but havent' spent enough time on it...Phantom 3 Pro is better with less aliasing..
Need to watch in HD, otherwise will be very pixelated.

Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

Hey Mojo. I own a video production company and I feel your pain. However, everything you stated i've only really experienced in 1080p. I only shoot in 2160p because of that & the image looks pretty great. I wish there was a little less sharpening, but but the end result has been favorable.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial