DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic video looks like **** !

Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

(from the other side of the coin)
The Mavic isn't really designed for commercial use. It's for the active user and personal video and pics. Try the P4P+. It's a MUCH better camera. Not to mention I can put the P4P+ in the air in half the time as the Mavic.

Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

(from the other side of the coin)
mine is great never modified he out of box settings. People marvel at the quality. Silly question ...is the lens completely clean?

It sounds like you are the troll. I am trying to make this work so I can use the mavic for projects and am having trouble with the image quality.

I posted this as a sample earlier on in the thread. Not sure why it didn't post correctly.

From what I can see I am pretty sure your sharpness is in the negative. Put it +1. This is typical image from mavic in negative or even 0 sharpness. Then the in camera noise reduction kicks in and makes you have footage like this.

This looks really soft. No details in the greens. It looks like Oil painting effects. What are you're settings?
There a thread on here about this. I think it's up to page million by now. Bottom line: don't set your sharpness to a negative number despite what all the youtube "gurus" say. It will destroy detail. Sharpness +1 normally or maybe 0 on a very bright day or if your subject doesn't have much detail. You'll be amazed by the difference.

There a thread on here about this. I think it's up to page million by now. Bottom line: don't set your sharpness to a negative number despite what all the youtube "gurus" say. It will destroy detail. Sharpness +1 normally or maybe 0 on a very bright day or if your subject doesn't have much detail. You'll be amazed by the difference.

I know this. I'm at +1. But of the looks off his film he isn't. But I can't say for sure that he is in the negative. Maybe with him it's another reason and that's why I asked about his settings. Only downside of going +1 is the noise/grain in film. You can remove it with editing software as you and every1 else know but I would like to get the best possible image out of the drone without having to edit. Really hope they fix the in camera noise reduction.

I know this. I'm at +1. But of the looks off his film he isn't. But I can't say for sure that he is in the negative. Maybe with him it's another reason and that's why I asked about his settings. Only downside of going +1 is the noise/grain in film. You can remove it with editing software as you and every1 else know but I would like to get the best possible image out of the drone without having to edit. Really hope they fix the in camera noise reduction.
Didn't mean to sound condescending. To me the look of his film seems classically negative sharpness. I think +1 is something we may have to live with due to the Mavic's tiny sensor but time will tell I suppose.

Another question about artifacts... I can't really even find an SD card that has the 60Mb/s WRITE speed required. Most cards are like 80-90-95 Mb/s however that is only READ. If you look at the specs for write, it's usually at best 20Mb/s.
So whose done the SDCard shopping to find an SDcard that can actually handle the full 4K write speeds?
The best I can find is a SanDisk Extreme Pro with 95Mb/s Read and 90Mb/s Write and it's a UHS Speed Class 3 not class 1 like most people have handy.
However that is the only one I've found so far so I have to wonder if many pilots issues is simply an SD card problem.

Last edited:
Here's a thought on SD Card performance testing. If you can copy a 2 minute 4K 30FPS video to your SDCard in less than 2 minutes, then it can probably record that same quality without issue. If it takes longer, your SDCard is not up to par. If it takes 10 seconds less than 2 minutes or exactly 2 minutes, you'll still probably have issues.
Just a thought...
I had to buy some $300 CFast Cards for my 4K 60 FPS Canon but the reason is they can do Read/Write speeds: 560/495 MB/s. Those speeds are necessary for the 60FPS with raw. Half the FPS with teh Mavic and with some compression still tells me anything less than 60Mb/s write speed will cause problems.
One last thought. If you're going to complain about video quality saying you're a professional, then usually it helps to give some professional details around your problems including uploading video of more than a couple seconds with some description of your camera settings will do everyone wonders here to help you.

Last edited:
I think the footage can look great, maybe not professional quality, but good for youtube or social media purposes..
Here is a sample of shots Ive taken learning to use this thing over the past few months... Up to you if you think they are technically up to scratch or not...
Over Home - Mavic Pro Compilation...
I have shots from my first few flights and they look just like your sample. Soft, and just not nice.
I changed to 2K, .MOV, +1 +1 +1, D-Cine.... Update all firmware, and do the gimbal/camera calibration, and always tap to focus... you should be good to go!
Having said that, I do occasionally take it out and the footage comes out terrible... Depends on the lighting, the complexity or the shot (ie. Lots of trees or detail) angle of the camera to the sun etc...
Its a learning curve.. but yes, I also wish the camera was a bit better... P4P camera on this drone would be nothing short of phenomenal...

Last edited:
People need to seriously do a little research and reading before posting! I'm new to flying the Mavic Pro. After watching several of the many videos on Youtube, my flying has improved significantly. I've also learned to adjust the camera settings and use ND filters to improve my videos greatly! Anything worth doing well requires effort. Nuff'said.

MAVIC Pro
D-LOG (+1;-1;0) Sunny WB
ICARUS LUT
Corrected in DaVinci 14

18558934_1509179662446955_3061091478639816325_o.jpg

Rubbish! Nfsc or PAL should make no difference.
North America and Japan use NTSC and no complaints!

The difference in NTSC and PAL is to match with the electrical power grid and reduce flicker on the monitor. Some countries use 60 hertz in the electric grid and others use 50 hertz. You can produce excellent video in either NTSC or PAL, however, if it is not matched with the electric grid in your area, then when you play it on a screen you may get flickering.

The solution will be in Mavic 2 or what ever DJI will call it. I'm not thoroughly impressed with the camera. It could be better. I still like my Mavic though. My video from Typhoon H was better. It just needed better white balance setting to adjust the brownish hue.

It would be great if DJI made the Phantom 4 series foldable and compact like the Mavic.
The Typhoon H took excellent video, If you used a grey card before starting, the W/B could be set spot on.

Another question about artifacts... I can't really even find an SD card that has the 60Mb/s WRITE speed required. Most cards are like 80-90-95 Mb/s however that is only READ. If you look at the specs for write, it's usually at best 20Mb/s.
So whose done the SDCard shopping to find an SDcard that can actually handle the full 4K write speeds?
The best I can find is a SanDisk Extreme Pro with 95Mb/s Read and 90Mb/s Write and it's a UHS Speed Class 3 not class 1 like most people have handy.
However that is the only one I've found so far so I have to wonder if many pilots issues is simply an SD card problem.
You're getting mixed up with megabits (Mbs) and megabytes (MBs)...the cards you're referring to have a write speed of 20 MBs, which is 160 Mbs. The Mavic has a maximum bit rate of 60 Mbs, so any of those cards are more than fast enough.

Reactions: entity-unknown
You're getting mixed up with megabits (Mbs) and megabytes (MBs)...the cards you're referring to have a write speed of 20 MBs, which is 160 Mbs. The Mavic has a maximum bit rate of 60 Mbs, so any of those cards are more than fast enough.

Glad someone said that. I was going to say the same thing but I figured someone else would chime in LOL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman