DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic vs Phantom

Mavix

Reactions
Right now I have a P4, but considering switching to the Mavic pro. For anyone who has used both, what are the main advantages and disadvantages of each?
Thanks!

I have both (and pretty much every other model)

Mav Pros:
Easy to tote around
Precise hovering and RTH
Cheaper batteries
Cheaper parts
Easier to fix
Cool looking
Lighter controller
Better resale value
Can get DJI Refresh
Good battery life

Mav Cons:
Lighter and not as stable in very windy conditions
Narrower field of vision
Not as good in low light situations
If youre an old guy like me, its harder to pick up off the ground
Availability is very limited, unless you were born under a lucky star

P4 Pros:
Better in wind due to heavier weight
Camera better in low light
Wider field of vision
Easier to see for some people (white vs stealth gray) and bigger profile

P4 Cons:

Bigger and heavier to lug around
Hard to find replacement parts
Expensive OEM batteries
Old fashioned styling vs sleek, stealthy Mav
Controller will build up your biceps especially with a tab attached (if you dont use a neckstrap)

They are both excellent values, but my money is on the Mav. The P4 has been discontinued in favor of its evolutionary kindred the P4P and the P4P+.

I keep a few dozen drones around, and took out a P3P, P4 and Mav the other day. The Mav is just in a class by itself for under $1000.

I got the Mavic a few days ago and have had only a few flights with it so i cannot really pass judgement yet but I kinda wish I got the P4 Pro instead. I like the ability to switch into Atti in an emergency, better camera. I dont know if its settings but the Mavic doesnt control like my Phantom 3 did. Felt a lot more smooth in my opinion. The Mavic has been very jerky. That being said I HATED having to haul my p3 around in a huge backpack. I would have used it a lot more if I had the mavic. Right now I can throw the Mavic in my man bag and take it everywhere which I love. The batteries are small as well. I think my biggest concern is the flight characteristics and the ability to switch to atti mode if the **** hits the fan and the GPS goes nuts. I will def be tweaking the controls to try to get a better handle on the way the Mavic flies. OH and having to use my **** phone as the screen instead of my tablet.

I've got both and a couple other Drones. I've found that my P4 is my "go to" drone. I'm more into AP, so the P4 fits that better..

But it is larger and takes up more space on my motorcycle's topbox. Thats where the Mavic shines, its smaller size. But the smaller size of the Mavic is also a "con" for me in that I find it harder to see at greater distances. I can see my P4 out to 1500' while I start losing my Mavic at about 500'-600'...

I got the Mavic to try FPV flying and try some of the other features like active track...

I think the Mavic is a solid choice if you can only have one drone and realize its imaging limitations which most people either don't notice or need...

I got the Mavic a few days ago and have had only a few flights with it so i cannot really pass judgement yet but I kinda wish I got the P4 Pro instead. I like the ability to switch into Atti in an emergency, better camera. I dont know if its settings but the Mavic doesnt control like my Phantom 3 did. Felt a lot more smooth in my opinion. The Mavic has been very jerky. That being said I HATED having to haul my p3 around in a huge backpack. I would have used it a lot more if I had the mavic. Right now I can throw the Mavic in my man bag and take it everywhere which I love. The batteries are small as well. I think my biggest concern is the flight characteristics and the ability to switch to atti mode if the **** hits the fan and the GPS goes nuts. I will def be tweaking the controls to try to get a better handle on the way the Mavic flies. OH and having to use my **** phone as the screen instead of my tablet.

Change your rudder setting to .20. Adjust your gimbal movement to 21. Not so "Jerky" as you put it. And for Pete's sake don't fly it in Sports Mode. [emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have the P4P and Mavic... the Pros/Cons have been well highlighted, but for me it just comes down to portability. The P4P obviously has a better image, but for the portability of the Mavic it is pretty much my go-to rig unless I'm doing something specific that requires the image quality of the P4P.

I have both (and pretty much every other model)

Mav Pros:
Easy to tote around
Precise hovering and RTH
Cheaper batteries
Cheaper parts
Easier to fix
Cool looking
Lighter controller
Better resale value
Can get DJI Refresh
Good battery life

Mav Cons:
Lighter and not as stable in very windy conditions
Narrower field of vision
Not as good in low light situations
If youre an old guy like me, its harder to pick up off the ground
Availability is very limited, unless you were born under a lucky star

P4 Pros:
Better in wind due to heavier weight
Camera better in low light
Wider field of vision
Easier to see for some people (white vs stealth gray) and bigger profile

P4 Cons:

Bigger and heavier to lug around
Hard to find replacement parts
Expensive OEM batteries
Old fashioned styling vs sleek, stealthy Mav
Controller will build up your biceps especially with a tab attached (if you dont use a neckstrap)

They are both excellent values, but my money is on the Mav. The P4 has been discontinued in favor of its evolutionary kindred the P4P and the P4P+.

I keep a few dozen drones around, and took out a P3P, P4 and Mav the other day. The Mav is just in a class by itself for under $1000.

I loled at your flexibly being a Mavic con. Haha.

I loled at your flexibly being a Mavic con. Haha.

Hey when you get up in the years, it's easy to bend down, but not so easy to bend back up again. Most of the time I use 2 grabbers to get the Mav back in the car. I have them in different lengths from 2 feet long to 4 feet long depending on how sore my back is on any given day. :)

Grabber.jpg .

Reactions: ACR and Chase R
Wish I had purchased the P4. I am one of the unfortunate who has lost all trust in the drone due to the GPS suddenly dropping out. I would definitely wait for version two. If I wanted an unreliable drone I would have saved myself $1000 and bought something at Walmart. I give the Mavic a solid 'meh'.

Wish I had purchased the P4. I am one of the unfortunate who has lost all trust in the drone due to the GPS suddenly dropping out. I would definitely wait for version two. If I wanted an unreliable drone I would have saved myself $1000 and bought something at Walmart. I give the Mavic a solid 'meh'.

"I am one of the unfortunate FEW who has lost all trust in the drone due to the GPS suddenly dropping out. I would definitely wait for version two."

Fixed that for ya.

Change your rudder setting to .20. Adjust your gimbal movement to 21. Not so "Jerky" as you put it. And for Pete's sake don't fly it in Sports Mode. [emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100]

Ill give this a try. I dont fly in sport mode right now. I leave the fast flying for my mini quads. I have noticed jerky movements when hovering in place. I reset the compass to see if that would help but still get them. Meh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78