DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic's Lends Hood, not a good idea,

0cd9619c10ca4918c84a97b9aade588c.jpg

Did you try turning off the "Enable synchronized gimbal sync follow"?

Reactions: mfarris2
I started using the hood for my Mavic Pro to protect against sun glare, and it has been effective in reducing it. I was using it when I got the Mavic caught in a tree at about 80' up, and it prevented the camera and gimbal from being damaged both during the crash and in the process of having a climbing arborist rescue it. I agree that trimming the sides and top of the hood with a Dremel tool works to eliminate most of the problem that interferes with video capture. It can be trial and error process to get it right, however. I still occasionally get interference in really windy conditions.

Bought the hood and used it once. It's garbage. I found that in reg mode, accelerating forward at a speed of greater than 5mph causes it to enter my shot.
As far as the discussion about wide angle lens, protecting the gimbal, what did you expect: the hood was marketed for one reason, to block the prop shadow and thus improve your videos. It has 1 job-- and it fails at that because it enters frame all the time. Bring on the dremel.

I just purchased a lens hood for my Mavic to help against sun glare, and that was a bad idea, it ruined my videos. Normally I do not write many reviews but I am going to write a 1 star review on Amazon, 0 stars if I could.

I am sharing my experience here with y'all hoping you do not make the same mistake, if you have not already.

Yes - I have the same experience with mine, HOWEVER - if you fly very slowly with cinematic settings and slow gimbal movement, it seems to be just fine and serves well to block some occasional stay light. That said, it also serves as some protection for the camera and gimbal while landing. It is totally useless in sport mode or moving fas . . . or in strong wind. - hutch

Yep, thats the one I got too. Wonder if it can be trimmed a bit to solve this issue. It sounded good on Amazon when I bought it!!!

Ya know I thought the same thing. Only thing is that if you trim it so it never shows in vid's it may just defeat the purpose of the lens shade aspects of the cover. Just use in in cinematic type of shooting with very slow movements and light, if any, wind. Then it serves the dual purpose of some lens shading and landing protection. - hutch

Reactions: CopperClub
I wanted to sat thank you for the video, i was wondering myself on how i could get around the glare but didn't want to take a chance . But now that i watched the video i know how to handle this problem.

I have a question though, where do you find those feet on the bottom of your mavic? I dont stray away from DJI when i look for these things because i have had my fair share of bad buys online. But i like how it keeps the drone up of the ground, the mavic is so low that the blades get caught in grass when taking off.

Reactions: romarnv
Read the reviews. The hood is good for slow cinematic shots where sun glare would actually matter. If it is windy or you are moving aggressively (no good for cinematic shots), then you will see the hood.

You're looking straight down in those shots so you won't get any glare anyway.

Reactions: Hutch
What a shock. I would have never guessed that putting a cover around a free moving gimbal would possibly interfere with the video on an airborne video platform.

I use a gimbal cover all the time to protect the camera as I am learning to fly. It is a very easy task to edit the video and cut out the gimbal interference. Mostly I find the gimbal coming into view when I'm flying in sport or normal mode when I push the forward control all the way. This causes the the Mavic to pitch the nose downward and until the gimbal catches up and stabilizes you will catch a portion of it in the video. The suggestion to trim off some of the plastic to get it out of the view is a good one. I would not fly without one as a crash resulting in gimbal damage is costly and takes time to get the parts for repair.

I've not see this happen in Tripod or Cinema mode. I've only seen the upper frame clipped during rapid acceleration. That said, I do like to fly up mountain sides and clipping is unavoidable with the extra 30 degrees up enabled. I have already ordered another hood and plan to cut out the upper part of one of the hoods. Not sure why anyone believes this hood offers any realistic protection for the gimbal.

I just used a Dremel and a sanding wheel and removed some of the hood. Now I don't see it in any of my shots. Also adds a little protection in minor crashes.

That's true, but then again I think it obstructs a bit the air flow into the Mavic's cooling system, and god knows it get hot, specially during the summer. I would strongly advise to fly without any covers. I use different filters for different ligh conditions.

Your problem is that whoever made it, did not cut a big enough window.... and you for not testing it prior to making a proper video.
I purchased one and had to end up having to cut/trim almost on every side.

I'm sorry Boblelezard that you think flying without any covers is a good idea. It only takes 1 time and you will be on here complaining on how it takes DJI forever to get your drone repaired. Lol ..... i will keep my lense hood in place and just trim it instead..... i dont fly like a nut so my pictures and video normally are fine but i do get some glare from the lense. And i would rather remove a small portion of a safety device than totally remove it and take a chance of something happening. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just saying why I wouldn't.....

I use ND filters, but now and then I get lens flare when the sun is on either side ( left or the right ).
And as I said, filters won't stop lens flair, they can reduce the effect, but that's all.
My suggestion is to get one of these lens protectors but trim it down on all sides with a file until it doesn't appear in your videos.
You'll lose some of the Lens flair protection but it will help.
It also protects lens.

Reactions: Spanish Flyer
That's true, but then again I think it obstructs a bit the air flow into the Mavic's cooling system, and god knows it get hot, specially during the summer. I would strongly advise to fly without any covers. I use different filters for different ligh conditions.
Flying without gimbal covers is fine , it's the crashing that they come in handy :)
They do not obstruct the airflow to the fan , in fact they may help channel the airflow to the fan area better .

Reactions: DCatalo
I don't get where people think this offers any protection to the gimbal. Both the stock dome and the gimbal locking clamp do not have a positive locking mechanism. With only the slightest downward force, the gimbal plate stretched enough to pop both off instantly. If they locked into place, where you have to press a release to get them to come off, perhaps that would be a plus. But in the current design, neither are much more than cosmetic when it comes to safety.

I just purchased a lens hood for my Mavic to help against sun glare, and that was a bad idea, it ruined my videos. Normally I do not write many reviews but I am going to write a 1 star review on Amazon, 0 stars if I could.

I am sharing my experience here with y'all hoping you do not make the same mistake, if you have not already.

Flying without gimbal covers is fine , it's the crashing that they come in handy :)
They do not obstruct the airflow to the fan , in fact they may help channel the airflow to the fan area better .

I recently purchased one too, excited to stop the glare from the late day sun I was getting when facing the sun.
Unfortunately I got the same results, it didn't seem block the sun, but did block the camera. I tried different views and directions and got much better video without it.
Since it was around $10, I don't feel too bad, but still a waste.
I have read mixed reviews, but don't bother trying it.
I recently order the Mavic ND filters and hope that works much better.
Stay tuned!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_