DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic's Lends Hood, not a good idea,

As I try to fly with slow pans I rarely see the lens hood in the image, however as you can see from this video shot a few weeks ago it did save my Mavic gimbal when I switched to sport mode to test acceleration..... Deceleration not as quick as I expected.....

I'm all for you guys buying a cover. I don't think it offers much protection at all. If you crash it the cam isn't going to survive with or without the cover..

So much for that ... I believed they would be additional protection for the gimbal. But if they're in the way... maybe they could be trimmed some?

Reactions: roger007
I'm all for you guys buying a cover. I don't think it offers much protection at all. If you crash it the cam isn't going to survive with or without the cover..

Depends on the crash. Many are quite survivable - the most delicate part is the gimbal.

I recently purchased one too, excited to stop the glare from the late day sun I was getting when facing the sun.
Unfortunately I got the same results, it didn't seem block the sun, but did block the camera. I tried different views and directions and got much better video without it.
Since it was around $10, I don't feel too bad, but still a waste.
I have read mixed reviews, but don't bother trying it.
I recently order the Mavic ND filters and hope that works much better.
Stay tuned!

$10 , WOW

Sun Shade Lens Hood Glare Gimbal Camera Protector Cover For DJI Mavic Pro Drone | eBay

I paid less than 2 bucks for mine . It locks in good and yes it will protect the gimbal to a degree from rocks,tree limbs and such . I've seen a tree limb catch behind the camera and rip it from it's mounts . This would help in that case . To each their own. You just plan your shots and make nice smooth transistions when flying .

I think it offers a lot of protection but it really depends on the severity of the crash. If your Mavic comes down hard the gimbal will just be one of several reasons why you are going to have to refresh your Mavic. Whats really annoying is coming down soft and then finding out that the gimbal is broken and have to use a refresh for a broken cable or tab.

I have seen a few YouTube video were small branches are the gimbal killers. During a tree encounter they get under the gimbal and break it out of the Tabs. Also side collisions with branches are deflected rather than impacting the gimbal if it's covered.

Rob

Reactions: _milo_ and rydfree
In most cases the lens hood has no benefit. It requires me to fly extremely slow. So I will only usee when glare is a big issue. Otherwise, flying without any cover is best. I fly at 20mph average and have great footage without the hood. With the hood, I have issues seeing it even at 10mph....thats not how I intend to fly. I even shaved my 3D printed hood with a knife and file for marginal improvement.

I just purchased a lens hood for my Mavic to help against sun glare, and that was a bad idea, it ruined my videos. Normally I do not write many reviews but I am going to write a 1 star review on Amazon, 0 stars if I could.

I am sharing my experience here with y'all hoping you do not make the same mistake, if you have not already.

Yeah I can confirm. Honestly I bought it out of curiosity and tried it. It doesnt really help to reduce unwanted sun glare and just mess with your shots , either laterally and vertically so if you use it you have to be extra careful or your shots will simply be crap

I guess it may help if you put it into a tree and it doesn't fall to the ground.. but that lens hood is not going to do anything in a crash.

I just purchased a lens hood for my Mavic to help against sun glare, and that was a bad idea, it ruined my videos. Normally I do not write many reviews but I am going to write a 1 star review on Amazon, 0 stars if I could.

I am sharing my experience here with y'all hoping you do not make the same mistake, if you have not already.

I had the same issue. Open up the opening about an 1/8 inch around the top to resolve.

It does help with prop shadow!!

It does help with prop shadow issue but not much for glare issues.

This does offer moderate protection to the gimbal in the sense that if it was going to be something physical that was going to touch the gimble/camera from the angles to which this cover offers protection than great it helps (a branch etc), but I suspect the problem forces exerted on the gimbal in a crash jolts its beyond its normal operating movement that is what actually breaks its, so having the clear bubble or this extra items attached is only going to protect in certain circumstances.

I'm working on the better type for our Mavic's now. The image below IS NOT what I'm working on. I uploaded the image below to show it's the type that fits around the camera lens would be actually what I'm working on. The problem with the design seen here is, it can not flare out and needs to be more aerodynamic, needs to be lighter weight, and must not stick out so far. Once I'm finished, we'll have the perfect setup at the perfect price. :)

frankstyle2.jpg

I'm working on the better type for our Mavic's now. The image below IS NOT what I'm working on. I uploaded the image below to show it's the type that fits around the camera lens would be actually what I'm working on. The problem with the design seen here is, it can not flare out and needs to be more aerodynamic, needs to be lighter weight, and must not stick out so far. Once I'm finished, we'll have the perfect setup at the perfect price. :)

View attachment 9621
Bold promise.[emoji4]

is it a solution for hood obstructing like that ? many thanks !
DnVdQtU.jpg

If you'll notice, the lens hood only vignettes on the side the wind is coming from. If you are flying forward, it will vignette on top. If the wind is coming from the left. it will vignette on the left side. This happens because the GPS causes the Mavic to dip in the direction the wind is coming from, in order to maintain position.

The solution? Don't use the lens hood on windy days, or buy a SECOND lens hood, and trim it down as others have suggested in this thread.

Reactions: Xblog
If you'll notice, the lens hood only vignettes on the side the wind is coming from. If you are flying forward, it will vignette on top. If the wind is coming from the left. it will vignette on the left side. This happens because the GPS causes the Mavic to dip in the direction the wind is coming from, in order to maintain position.

The solution? Don't use the lens hood on windy days, or buy a SECOND lens hood, and trim it down as others have suggested in this thread.

and this ? it seem better ? (No vignette in tilt angle 0-90° / roll angle 0+-20°)

TACO-RC Sun Shade Lens Hood Protective Cover for DJI Mavic PRO | eBay

Yup not worth it at all. But well it was a cheap relacement of my clear bubble that broke :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_