DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Metro Vancouver BC Canada Pilots

Is flying at this location at Deer Lake Park still allowed. Checked City of Burnaby bylaws but didn’t see anything prohibiting drones.
There are two macc fields in burnaby that I know of, one at deer lake and one at burnaby lake. look for the signs or an open field. I believe these are for MAAC members but they are not super strict about it nor are they updated to reflect the new drones and technology that can easily , easily exceed the boundaries set forth in these areas. I've flown there in the past and as long as there are no other MAAC members to conflict with or scheduled events, you should be fine to fly there. Just be responsible, courteous, clean and safe. We wouldn't want to be banned in places that RC aircraft were meant to be flown in. This may change in the future if some asshat ruins it for us but lets stay on maacs good side for now.

Last edited:
Hi, new drone pilot here. Just received my drone today. Would anyone like to fly this weekend?
You cannot do that in Richmond or Vancouver. You have to go to Burnaby at least or further out. Look at the airspace viewer on nrc or telus.

There are two macc fields in burnaby that I know of, one at deer lake and one at burnaby lake. look for the signs or an open field. I believe these are for MAAC members but they are not super strict about it nor are they updated to reflect the new drones and technology that can easily , easily exceed the boundaries set forth in these areas. I've flown there in the past and as long as there are no other MAAC members to conflict with or scheduled events, you should be fine to fly there. Just be responsible, courteous, clean and safe. We wouldn't want to be banned in places that RC aircraft were meant to be flown in. This may change in the future if some asshat ruins it for us but lets stay on maacs good side for now.
This is a reply from the flying club at Burnaby Lake when I emailed them about flying drones in their field:

Hi,

To answer your question, no we do not allow drone flying. Burnaby Parks and Recreation do not allow drones/multirotor craft in any city park.

Burnaby Lake Flyers

Deer Lake MAAC Field

Attachments

• 8E17329E-1190-495D-AC88-B4BD3FCBC069.jpeg
    8E17329E-1190-495D-AC88-B4BD3FCBC069.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 7763503A-A9E8-4EF2-874B-DAA80D463968.jpeg
    7763503A-A9E8-4EF2-874B-DAA80D463968.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Deer Lake MAAC Field
Well there goes my hope for that. I thought Maac was more helpful to drone pilots with the new regs? I'm not condoning flying there nor endorsing it. I just hope things will change for the better and some compassion can be felt for droners.... Where to fly is best discussed in other threads. Getting back to topic.

Well there goes my hope for that. I thought Maac was more helpful to drone pilots with the new regs? I'm not condoning flying there nor endorsing it. I just hope things will change for the better and some compassion can be felt for droners.... Where to fly is best discussed in other threads. Getting back to topic.
It varies per area or region but only a few MAAC airfields are drone friendly. Sadly, most of the fixed wing flyers I’ve come across tend to have a prejudice towards drones.

Reactions: CareyL
Deer Lake MAAC Field
Deer Lake is not a MAAC field. It is a Burnaby field that has an old sign prohibiting quads. I spoke to a responsible person in Burnaby and they were not aware that: 1. Transport Canada regulations had changed. 2. That the glider club was almost extinct. 3. That gliders use motors to get to elevation. I fly there with a few unauthorized glider people. My positon has been: 1. Live and let live. 2. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. One other thing to take note of: Birders hate everyone.

I used to fly my Parrot drone at Mundy Park when no people were around but since I got my phantom I haven't try it. Does anyone know any places in Coquitlam?

I used to fly my Parrot drone at Mundy Park when no people were around but since I got my phantom I haven't try it. Does anyone know any places in Coquitlam?
You can fly your drone at Upper River Coquitlam Park during specified hours. You will first have to buy a Coquitlam Parks & Recreation Membership before flying. Good luck!

Reactions: cmurr
Hi guys! I just got a new mini 2. Super excited to fly it but having difficulty finding the official bylaws for Vancouver, Burnaby, other lower mainland cities. Anyone know which cities allow flying in parks?? Thanks

Hi guys! I just got a new mini 2. Super excited to fly it but having difficulty finding the official bylaws for Vancouver, Burnaby, other lower mainland cities. Anyone know which cities allow flying in parks?? Thanks
I would suggest you view this video which was done by the co-creator of the Drone Pilot Canada app. My experience with flying in Canada is that you cannot fly any drone in provincial & federal parks; city parks mostly follow suit. Now some people may contest what I just said & reason out that because Transport Canada drone rules only pertain to those weighing 250g-25kg, the Mini 2 does not have to go by these rules. This is mostly a grey area & depending on the knowledge or lack thereof of people around you at the time you are flying, and if it escalates to them calling local LE, you may actually get fined. Now I myself don't own a Mini 2 yet, but I just sold my Mavic 2 Pro because I just couldn't find enough places in the Greater Vancouver area where I could legally fly it. I've canvassed & phoned the cities of Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, Surrey & West Vancouver to see what the ruling is with flying drones in their parks & it was a definite NO. That was back in 2019 before the DJI Mini was released. Haven't checked since.

The only exception was the City of Coquitlam, which allowed drone pilots at certain times during the day at the Upper River Coquitlam Park. You had to get a membership at the Coquitlam Community Centre & I also had to get a MAAC membership, since that park is also a MAAC airfield. The MAAC membership is mainly for liability coverage.

Last edited:
Pretty much you need to get east of the Fraser to find space, the worst thing is most parks do not have any bylaws posted so it makes it pretty hard. I will say anywhere along Harrison/Chehalis lake be very aware of float planes. They can do touch and goes or land pretty much anywhere. They are often at low altitude.

Hello to all Lower Mainland pilots out there!

This thread is for meet and greet of pilots from the Lower Mainland - Metro Vancouver.
Wish to have a main place where all pilots in this area can say a quick hello, so we all know who's around.
Postings for new meetings are welcome.
Remember, this is designed for creating a circle of Mavic friends in the area and setting up gatherings in the future.
Hope you get the idea and we'll create a community!
Hey. I have been trying to do this for a bit now. I live in Surrey and fly the Dji Mavic Air. But I would like to either help with the management of this meet up plan or come to join up with you on this. How do I go about getting involved?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99