DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Micro SD question

Bigger is not always better, especially in this case. If you have an itchy index finger, and like to record every second of your flight, what are you going to do with all that footage? If you're recording in 4k, and you intend to edit it later, you need to become more efficient with what you choose to record.

I have found that most people who want cards any bigger than 32gb, are people who dont use discretion when they shoot, and never offload their material. If they did, they would probably use a 32 lol

All of the best videos that people post up here are not 20 minutes long. They are composed, edited clips and usually not longer than 3 minutes. So if you have loaded up your $60 256gb Sandisk Extreme SD card with all your hours of footage, you are going to have to sort through all of that to create one 3 minute clip. Better bring some coffee. ;)
I am new at this video recording....but you raise more questions from me
...my family members tells me to keep my videos to 3 minutes because any longer people will not want to look at the video.
What do think? Or does it depends on the subject matter that you are trying to present in your recording.

Reactions: Former Member
I use the one that came with the mavic and it's enough for me because after every fly. I transferred the videos to my Mac and formated the SD card. Never have issues about the space size.

...my family members tells me to keep my videos to 3 minutes because any longer people will not want to look at the video.
What do think? Or does it depends on the subject matter that you are trying to present in your recording.

It depends on the subject matter, but in this age of short memory spans, and 30 second commercials, 3 minutes seems like an eternity to me. Just go back and watch some of your own home videos and be your own critic. Sometimes shorter is better.

When we travel abroad I never bring a laptop, and I know if I was to bring a bunch of smaller cards in my drone case I'd forget to mark one or two of them then I'd end up overwriting it or running out of room while filming.

I'd say I need to get better organised but I'm in my mid 50s so if I haven't done it yet I never will. ;-)
Cheers
Also in my 50s.... the best is completely forgetting to take an SD card with me.... and only realizing once the drone is in the air :rolleyes:

You don't want to aim to record 3 minutes of video to play it as a movie ... If you are wanting to make a decent video, then you should record pretty much everything during the flight, and use video editing software to 'pull' the best 3 minutes out of it. The last video I put together, was 8 minutes from 45 minutes of recorded video on the SD card. Use the Mavic to get different angles and views of the subject you are making the video of, then use the editing software to use what you like best ... I find that it's not about how long the video is, it's more about the duration of the scenes in the video ...

I use a 128GB card in my Mavic 2 (I do have other cards, and when I take a copy depends on how unique/important the vision is)
One thing to consider is that most 4K TVs I have encountered so far only recognize 64GB devices.
If you want to quickly play back a flight on a friends TV that can be a hassle (finding a computer to transfer it to a smaller storage, having that storage etc).
On the other hand having that much storage means the card tends to live in the drone so it doesn't get forgotten, and always has plenty of free space on it.

I have 16, 32, 64 and 128GB cards and I find that 16GB is probably sufficient for a day of flying with 3 batteries. Unless I shoot more video, which I don't as I am still trying to improve by still image proficiency. Only thing is lately I tend to use AEB 5 shots which means additional files but still, 32GB is probably more than enough. I offload after each session and reformat pre-flight for the day's flying.

Re forgetting what to do: use a checklist.

As for 'how many' SD cards -- I have 4 (3 in a wallet, and 1 in the Mavic, ready to use). On landing after last flight, remove SD card and replace with next in sequence (that way, no need to unpack/unfold Mavic to get at the last flight's photos).

Mine are 16GB because that seemed sensible -- can record an entire flight in video. But having learned that watching more than a minute of video is extremely tedious I think much smaller cards would be fine. Instead, given I have more than enough space, I rename the DCIM to (e.g.) 20190309-DCIM on the card and thereby keep an extra backup. Mavic will make a new DCIM for the next flight.

I always copy the SD card data to another device at the end of the day (laptop, or phone SD card using OTG). Digital data doesn't really exist until you have at least two copies of it...

Mike

The largest a Mavic Pro will hold is 128GB. I stay with 64GB since there is some older equipment like TVs and tablets with a 64GB limitation. I use SanDisc but most name brands are good. Always back them up at the end of the day. There once was a reported fly away problem with drones with old / nearly full cards so I still often reformat mine prior to a start of flying for the day - I am sure it is no longer needed but.....

The largest a Mavic Pro will hold is 128GB. I stay with 64GB since there is some older equipment like TVs and tablets with a 64GB limitation. I use SanDisc but most name brands are good. Always back them up at the end of the day. There once was a reported fly away problem with drones with old / nearly full cards so I still often reformat mine prior to a start of flying for the day - I am sure it is no longer needed but.....

Actually, I saw a 200GB Sandisk work just fine yesterday on a customers drone!

Reactions: macoman
Actually, I saw a 200GB Sandisk work just fine yesterday on a customers drone!
I believe larger sizes "work" but they can only be addressed up to 128GB. Or another way to say it ; the drone can only store 128GB of stuff on the SD card. At 128GB, it will consider the 200GB card as full. At least that is how computers normally work. I only have a 64GB in mine.

I believe larger sizes "work" but they can only be addressed up to 128GB. Or another way to say it ; the drone can only store 128GB of stuff on the SD card. At 128GB, it will consider the 200GB card as full. At least that is how computers normally work. I only have a 64GB in mine.

Ok, so a larger card will work, but any space above 128gb is wasted and cant be written to on the Mavic. Correct?

Looking at the spec's at the end of the manuals, it appears that the Mavic Pro (1) limits max. SD card capacity to 64GB - and the Mavic 2 Pro limits max. SD card capacity to 128GB.
Interesting though that the Mavic Pro spec' refrences UHS-1 rating needed (U1) - and I know from personal experience, it's quite happy with UHS-3 cards.

In regard to using larger cards - yes - it's like an old 32-bit PC ... You can put 8 GB of RAM in it, but it's only going to see & use 4 GB.

Well, I have definitely filled both my mp1 and m2p with 200 gigs of quality 4K video on 200 gig lexar. Seems to handle it well.
8fa1220dbbb2100b4e0747eaf5cb924b.jpg

Well, I have definitely filled both my mp1 and m2p with 200 gigs of quality 4K video on 200 gig lexar. Seems to handle it well.
8fa1220dbbb2100b4e0747eaf5cb924b.jpg

That card may give you problems with occasional stutter in the video if you are recording in HD modes, as it is a UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) card with a minimum sustainable write speed of 10 MB/sec. If you want to make sure that you are not going to get any issues with your card, and that you can record all the way up to the max. HD spec' of the Mavic camera, then get the UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) cards, not the U1's ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito