DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Micro SD question

Looking at the spec's at the end of the manuals, it appears that the Mavic Pro (1) limits max. SD card capacity to 64GB - and the Mavic 2 Pro limits max. SD card capacity to 128GB.
Interesting though that the Mavic Pro spec' refrences UHS-1 rating needed (U1) - and I know from personal experience, it's quite happy with UHS-3 cards.

In regard to using larger cards - yes - it's like an old 32-bit PC ... You can put 8 GB of RAM in it, but it's only going to see & use 4 GB.
Keep in mind that specs like that are often inaccurate or even change in later firmwares. It is pretty common to see devices able to use larger memory cards than the specs say.

Keep in mind that specs like that are often inaccurate or even change in later firmwares. It is pretty common to see devices able to use larger memory cards than the specs say.
Good point. I always see a few people mention they are using memory cards larger than what is noted in any of the DJI specs.

That card may give you problems with occasional stutter in the video if you are recording in HD modes, as it is a UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) card with a minimum sustainable write speed of 10 MB/sec. If you want to make sure that you are not going to get any issues with your card, and that you can record all the way up to the max. HD spec' of the Mavic camera, then get the UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) cards, not the U1's ...

Well I’ve had zero problems, I mainly record in 4K @ 30 dlog m. But there is potential for trouble.

Reactions: Former Member
There are a lot of memory cards that'll work. Here are a few good brands to consider:

SanDisk Extreme 32GB

SanDisk Extreme 64GB

Samsung EVO 64GB

Samsung EVO Select 64GB

Samsung EVO Plus 64GB

See this guide for more details on choosing the best memory card for you.

any idea whats the difference between the Extreme and the Extreme Plus. I cant find a comparable chart online to understand if indeed there is a difference that one is better than the other for drones? Or is the difference something for a PC not relevant to drones?

Reactions: Former Member
any idea whats the difference between the Extreme and the Extreme Plus
For the 32-64 GB memory cards, the Extreme has a max write speed of 60 MB/s (or 90 MB/s for 128-256 GB memory cards) and the Extreme Plus has a max write speed of 100 MB/s.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
any idea whats the difference between the Extreme and the Extreme Plus. I cant find a comparable chart online to understand if indeed there is a difference that one is better than the other for drones? Or is the difference something for a PC not relevant to drones?
The difference is in the 'maximum write speed' (Extreme plus is faster - and Pro is fastest). While this sounds relevent, it's acually not! That's because what you are looking for is the ability of the card to 'sustain' a certain write speed as a minumum under load. That speed has to be higher than what you need to write at, to stream HD video onto the card in real-time. That's why the most relevent specification for a card used in a MAvic 1 or 2 Pro - is the 'UHS Speed Class' symbol. UHS Speed Class 3 is identified with the logo having a U with a 3 in it. U3 cards will sustain a minumum write speed of 30 MBytes/sec (240 Mbits/sec).

The difference is in the 'maximum write speed' (Extreme plus is faster - and Pro is fastest). While this sounds relevent, it's acually not! That's because what you are looking for is the ability of the card to 'sustain' a certain write speed as a minumum under load. That speed has to be higher than what you need to write at, to stream HD video onto the card in real-time. That's why the most relevent specification for a card used in a MAvic 1 or 2 Pro - is the 'UHS Speed Class' symbol. UHS Speed Class 3 is identified with the logo having a U with a 3 in it. U3 cards will sustain a minumum write speed of 30 MBytes/sec (240 Mbits/sec).

Thank you.Good to know those with any U3 will be sufficient. Here are the links to the differences i found on one of our big online stores here (we don't get Amazon deliveries cheap here in South Africa). But yeah., not much firhter info I could find even on the Sandisk site. Appreciate your feedback. Thanks

EXTREME: Takealot.com: Online Shopping | SA's leading online store
EXTREME PLUS: Takealot.com: Online Shopping | SA's leading online store
the PLUS just has the extra A1 sign on it so will get that one.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Thank you.Good to know those with any U3 will be sufficient. Here are the links to the differences i found on one of our big online stores here (we don't get Amazon deliveries cheap here in South Africa). But yeah., not much firhter info I could find even on the Sandisk site. Appreciate your feedback. Thanks

EXTREME: Takealot.com: Online Shopping | SA's leading online store
EXTREME PLUS: Takealot.com: Online Shopping | SA's leading online store
the PLUS just has the extra A1 sign on it so will get that one.
Just for reference, the 'Application Performance Class 1' (A1) logo is telling you that the SD card is optimised for use as expansion-storage in something like a phone or tablet. A1 cards are good for this because they can handle the launch and operation of app's stored on them (when you run out of internal memory on your phone or tablet).
Note however, that the A1 feature adds absolutely nothing to the SD card's usefulness as a storage card in a Mavic! If it's costing more, then there is no reason to waste your money ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15