DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mini prom3

chazfar

Reactions
I am thinking about getting the mini pro three and I live within the radius of a airport.I am not going to flythe drone very high up just around my house to start when I’m in my general area.
Does the mini pro three stil have dji restrictive software,If it does its not worth me buying.

I am thinking about getting the mini pro three and I live within the radius of a airport.I am not going to flythe drone very high up just around my house to start when I’m in my general area.
Does the mini pro three stil have dji restrictive software,If it does its not worth me buying.

Sorry I'm not answering your question directly but it feels like you have a misconception about being able to fly low around your house.

In the US you are not allowed to fly even an inch off of the ground in designated airport areas without permission from the airport unless it is a very small airport. It does not matter how small the drone is. If you are in a 0 ft drone area you can't legally fly there. IMO you should take a look at one of the sources for LAANC approval for your area.

Don't rely solely on the DJI Fly app to be sure your flights conform to FAA regulations. Use the FAA's B4YouFly app for the definitive answer on flying in a particular location.

Check into LAANC clearances for flying in controlled airspace, too.

Are you sure the airport nearby is controlled airspace? What airport is it?

All Dji drones have built in No Fly Zones that will warn you when you are near or approaching a NFZ area. In some cases, where you are not allowed to fly/take off, the drone will not take off without getting approvals first.
SOME no fly zones, not all and that method relies on the user having kept all databases up to date. B4UFLY is more comprehensive.

Reactions: Suren and JDubyaM
You have two separate issues.

The first is if it is legal to fly there, which likely depends on the type of airport. Check maps for your specific location, which I assume you can get from the FAA. In Canada it depends on the airport and the weight of the drone. I bought my Mini 3 specifically because it is legal to fly in the controlled airspace where I live, so I can photograph my city.

The second is DJI flight restrictions, which don't align with legal restrictions. DJI has prevented me flying in areas that were legal, and would have let me fly in locations that are flat-out illegal. Again, check a map.

Most of the city is in controlled airspace between Cahokia and Lambert. If you want to fly in uncontrolled airspace, you will need to get out of the city. There are a few places, but they are few and far between. When there is a Cardinal game, the TFR extends all the way into the Central West End and the Grove area. Downtown, there is a narrow belt (around Washington and Tucker) which is between Lambert and Cahokia. Soulard and South City are in Cahokia airspace plus the Arch grounds are a National Park, PLUS it's in Cahokia airspace. It all depends exactly WHERE in the city you want to fly.

To answer the OP's question, yes the Mini 3 Pro has DJI's system of limiting where you can operate. But, as others have said, it's not comprehensive and cannot be relied on as a sole source of information on whether you're allowed to fly at a particular location. Use the FAA's B4YouFly app as your primary source. In controlled airspace you'll need to deal with both the FAA and the DJI system.

Inside controlled airspace, the regulations don't allow you to fly "around the house." It's unlikely that you'd ever be held accountable for flying below the treetops in your yard, but be aware that it would be illegal if your home is in controlled airspace. And there's lots of controlled airspace in the St. Louis area.

Screenshot 2022-07-21 101621.jpg
I

Thanks everyone,I will just stick with the dji air or the evo which which I have and serves my purpose.The good thing is I just saved a grand.

Reactions: Faster
I live within the radius of a airport

I know how you feel, I also live in a "Drone Taxi Zone" and most disconcerting thing is, I live on the western most edge of the "0" altitude zone. If I stand in my front yard, I can fly my drone in the street in front of my home up to 400-feet, but not one-inch high in my front yard…

What you have to decide is do you want to risk it. Do your neighbors know it's a no fly zone, are they the type that might report you for flying a drone, just because you are flying a drone and it does not matter if it's legal or not…

So, you have to remember, it does not matter if you are flying a $1,000 DJI Drone or a $25 toy drone from Walmart or Target, it is still just as illegal…

The type of response to you flying a drone will vary with the way it's reported. If you fly so high, a pilot in an airplane reports it, you will see a response like you would only expect on an Action Packed War Movie… If one of the neighbors calls the police and reports you for Peeping on her granddaughter sunbathing in the back yard, the local police might stop by, but they have no authority to do anything about the flying in the No Fly Zone, only the FAA does. The most the police might do, if the neighbor is just grousing about you having a drone is to tell you don't fly over their property…

So, whether you fly a DJI Drone or another Manufacturer's drone or a just a toy drone, do it responsibility, do not make a nuisance of yourself, don't bother your neighbors, and do not tease the local animals (dogs, etc…), and you can probably have all the fun you want with your drone…

Now, this is all on you, I am not a lawyer, what I am writing is not legal advice, it's just my opinion and if you are thrown in jail and are facing a "life's sentence" for an "unregulated droning" (not a real crime…), I will not be the one to post your bail…

I liken flying your drone around your yard in a "Drone Taxi Zone" to driving your car on the highway and sometimes you might drive a bit faster than the posted speed limit. It's still illegal, but if you are not dangerous, and you are not ridiculous, nobody is going to give a hoot…

drone taxi zone.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos