DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Move to Europe: Should I take the Mavic along?

Tonewheel

Reactions
Next September, we will be leaving Canada for 18 months to live in Frankfurt, and will be visiting most of the European centres during that time. The Mavic should be perfect for taking along.

Are there any very clearly established areas where flying the Mavic will not cause a problem?

Hey,

I'm a french guy in CA and I've been digging the french laws since I'm going home soon.
In France you have a 500M ceiling and it's prohibited in any urban area. You have a map of the whole country with the ceilings etc made by a state organism.
As long as you stick to the rules it's ok, they are a bit paranoid with drones over there so the penalties are very ruff.

I guess you'll have to do the homework for every country !

Come in Switzerland ! Rules are pretty cool ! Let me know if you need more information, map or even some footage !

Reactions: OzoneVibe
Here’s the map for the netherlands. Red means absolutely no fly, hatched areas means limited allowed, sometimes only with approval, sometimes a spotteris needed. In addition, there are other places such as national parks, but they all have their own rules, basically making it impossible to know whether you can fly there or not :-(

Drone no-fly zones | ministerie van Infrastructuur en Milieu

Pilou, in Alberta we are limited to 400 FEET. 500M sounds great.

Merci de votre gentilesse!

The limit in France is 120m (or 400ft), allowing a 100ft buffer between the this altitude and 500ft (150m), which is the bottom limit for manned a/c to operate, outside of takeoffs and landings at aerodromes.

Here's a link to the French gov't map on where recreational drone flights are permitted:
Géoportail

Thanks for the note, Stan. I'm a professional who has just retired, and I will be serving as an advisor, not as a vacationer. it would be nice to capture some of the great beauty of the area. Our family roots are Saxony, down around Planitz. We had visited there a couple of years ago as tourists, stopping briefly in Munich and Frankfort. So I may still take the Mavic along, but limit flights to around Germany when I get breaks. Perhaps I can then contact you and other members of the forum so I don't step on something...

The EU is a black hole of ldiot rules and paranoia. The airspace looks like a mess. All rules made up for "no-fly- zones" except the usual and acceptable things (direct vicinity airports, powerplants etc) are based on nothing. Logically you should not overfly congested areas, especially hovering above freaks people out. Countrysides should not be an issue generally and for the rest the DJI geofencing should prevent flying into restricted areas.
Use brain and you'll be fine.

The limit in France is 120m (or 400ft), allowing a 100ft buffer between the this altitude and 500ft (150m), which is the bottom limit for manned a/c to operate, outside of takeoffs and landings at aerodromes.

Here's a link to the French gov't map on where recreational drone flights are permitted:
Géoportail
Is that the new law that is going to be applied next year ? I thought the 500ft was the max in the cleared areas (based of the 2015 law), I might need to do more homework before take off.

I'm coming to France soon but haven't flewn there yet, the Géoportail link is pretty interesting and... Restrictive. What's you're experience flying over there ? Any issues with la gendarmerie ? Any wiggle room regarding that map/restrictions ?

Thanks !!

hi.
A friend (another mavic pro pilot) and I are using the app geodrones (for IOS or Android: GeoDrones – Applications Android sur Google Play) to check the rules (datas come from geoportail). It's forbidden over houses but it's allowed to fly over your own premises. No issues with Police or Gendarmerie yet. The rules will change in july 2018.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom