DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Air 3 wrecked

Pacefast

Reactions
I bought my Air 3 When it came out and have used it almost every day since in numerous locations with great footage !
Sadly to I went to my home field surrounded by dense forest to locate a small lake sunk in the forest !

I nearly always hand fly but knowing the trees are about 70 feet tall hand flew towards the lake failing to see it !

I decided to use a Nav point and added 2
Altitude I set at 106 feet, speed 10 mph in Normal mode
Took it off and started nav . The drone climbed and headed off in the right direction
Suddenly a tree top appeared ! my natural reaction was to climb it ! No response and the drone flew straight into the dense evergreen foliage
I always have obstacle avoidance on in stop mode and the drone was in normal not high speed mode so it should have stopped
DJI have been great and a new drone on its way but do be careful in Nav mode and do not fully trust obstacle avoidance
As for the drone I love it and DJI are a great company

Attachments

• IMG_8081.jpeg
    IMG_8081.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 94
  • Wow
Reactions: Paul Harvey
Sorry to hear about your crash. For those of us not so experienced with the Air 3, what is the "Nav" mode? And what is a "Nav point?"

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Sorry about the drone, that looks to have been a fair old smack.

It might be useful to post the .txt flight log, what controller were you using and, if one that uses a phone as a screen device, what phone?
At a guess if you connect an Android phone to a Windows computer via USB, look in the following

Computer/phone's_name/Phone/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord

In "FlightRecord" you will probably find files with the names like
DJIFlightRecord_2023-09-dd_[hh-mm-ss].txt
if so upload the last one to
and post the resulting URL here.

Additionally, if you have not synced your logs to/with DJI have a look in the folder named "MCDatFlightRecords". If there are .DAT files in there then upload the last one, or the one with a similar date/time stamp .txt flight log, to here as an attachment.

Reactions: RodPad
You crashed your drone in waypoint mode and DJI is sending a free replacement? I think we need some more context there.

Did I say free?
No. That's why I was asking for more context.

Saying something like "DJI have been great and a new drone on its way" makes it seems like DJI replaced it for free. I mean, I've never once thought "DJI is great for sending me a drone" after I purchased one out of my own pocket.

No. That's why I was asking for more context.

Saying something like "DJI have been great and a new drone on its way" makes it seems like DJI replaced it for free. I mean, I've never once thought "DJI is great for sending me a drone" after I purchased one out of my own pocket.
Look at this video and the crazy stuff this giiy is doing with obstacle avoidance and even waypoints ?
You say I crashed it but the drone did not respond to my control inputs but carried on its track into the top of a tree !
I had obstacle avoidance on in stop mode ! Its not like it hit a twig or Branch but a solid wall of evergreen fur ! I have the video which shows no attempt to stop ! So me crashing it ? I have done much more demanding flights 80 since new mostly hand flown with no issues ! This in normal speed mode at 10 mph set iso it should have stopped

I'm confused also.

"DJI have been great and a new drone on its way but do be careful in Nav mode and do not fully trust obstacle avoidance
As for the drone I love it and DJI are a great company
"

So you already ordered one?
It isn't free?
How much is it going to cost?

"You say I crashed it but the drone did not respond to my control inputs but carried on its track into the top of a tree !
I had obstacle avoidance on in stop mode ! Its not like it hit a twig or Branch but a solid wall of evergreen fur ! I have the video which shows no attempt to stop ! So me crashing it ?
"

"I have the video which shows no attempt to stop ! So me crashing it ?"

I would love to see the video. Thumbswayup

If you share the flight log, you can most likely find out what actually happened.
Best of all others can learn just like me, to understand what did happen. :)

Please Share Thumbswayup

Rod ..

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
You say I crashed it
You told me you crashed the drone in your first post above. Without seeing your flight log, I wouldn't know if it was caused by user error though. If you want to dive in, please attach your video and TXT flight log here.

did not respond to my control inputs but carried on its track into the top of a tree
Automated flight modes (like Waypoint) might totally ignore or attempt to counteract stick movements. The Air 3 manual (and all other DJI manuals) recommend pausing or stopping automated flight modes before attempting to manually control the drone with the remote controller sticks (like you did).

Look at this video and the crazy stuff this giiy is doing with obstacle avoidance and even waypoints ?
While Billy no doubt makes entertaining videos, they are certainly not a replacement for DJI's manuals. Like anything you find on the Internet, it's best to always do your own research and confirm what's being shared is accurate. With that said, I didn't see anything crazy or inaccurate about the waypoints section of his video.

I had obstacle avoidance on in stop mode
Even if it was enabled, it's not foolproof. Always be ready to take over the controls when using any of the automated functions (like obstacle avoidance or waypoints).

Is it me or are people reacting a little "testy" to this thread?

Reactions: Romi
The latter - chill, dudes
This thread seems pretty chill to me (thus far). We're just asking the OP to provide more details as the story is a bit confusing. If the OP does not actually want "Crash & Flyaway Assistance" (the category of this thread), then maybe it should be moved to a more "just sharing my story" category.

You say I crashed it but the drone did not respond to my control inputs but carried on its track into the top of a tree !
I had obstacle avoidance on in stop mode ! Its not like it hit a twig or Branch but a solid wall of evergreen fur ! I have the video which shows no attempt to stop ! So me crashing it ? I have done much more demanding flights 80 since new mostly hand flown with no issues ! This in normal speed mode at 10 mph set iso it should have stopped
When the drone is in waypoint mode, it will NOT respond to manual input. Also, it is not just size, but contrast to the surrounding area. There are many videos of crashes into tree limbs. This video is an excellent waypoint tutorial with the added bonus of a crash.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor