DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first stupid question.

To pick that nit even cleaner...if you have 107 ...you have to register all your drones:

View attachment 173114
AND all registered drones require RID....

Continuing to dispose of nits... Is that true simply by having acquired a 107 certification, or, required if using the drone for commercial operations?

107 certified pilots are still entitled to operate recreationally under 44809, and unless I've missed something the rules are the same regardless of whether you hold a 107 or not.

Second, are registered drones under 250g required to broadcast RID when flown recreationally? I don't think so, but I'd really like to know definitively if anyone knows (@BigAl07/@Vic Moss)?

Werkin' on my 107 (lazily 😆), have registered all my birds, but I'm not broadcasting RID from the Mini 4P most of the time.

Had not heard this. Ouch! :oops:

I'm not sure if it's in effect yet... EU Bros, anyone care to comment?

Basically, a new requirement is coming that the geofence (Flysafe in DJI parlance) Database be updated in real-time before launch, or the motors won't start.

Or so I've heard, many times on the forum in the last 6 months or so.

FWIW, I've had DJI RCs turned off for 30+ days and have never been asked to log in again when powering them on. The last time I was prompted to log in again was after I changed my DJI account password.

Reactions: MS Coast
Continuing to dispose of nits... Is that true simply by having acquired a 107 certification, or, required if using the drone for commercial operations?

107 certified pilots are still entitled to operate recreationally under 44809, and unless I've missed something the rules are the same regardless of whether you hold a 107 or not.

Second, are registered drones under 250g required to broadcast RID when flown recreationally? I don't think so, but I'd really like to know definitively if anyone knows (@BigAl07/@Vic Moss)?

Werkin' on my 107 (lazily 😆), have registered all my birds, but I'm not broadcasting RID from the Mini 4P most of the time.
I remember when I got 107 that I read something from a reliable source that simply stated if you have 107 Cert...you have to register all your drones, so I did....what I pasted in my post came from Drone Zone...and it says you have to register any drone you intend to operate....it does not specify that it applies only to the ones you intend to operate under 107....so , that reference is not really as clear as I would think it should be...I have 107...but everything I fly is for kicks

@MARK (LI) thanks, I do recall having to register everything if 107.

What I believe is not true is that all registered drones must broadcast RID. My understanding is that recreational flight under 250g is not required to broadcast RID, regardless of pilot certification and individual drone registration status.

In fact, I don't think you can, as a purely recreational pilot, not register every drone by serial number... speaking only of >250g drones, they have to broadcast RID without exception, and the FAA has to be able to trace that drone back to you from RID if it becomes necessary.

I certainly could be wrong, and of course I want to know and follow the regs.

I'll ping the UAS Help Center (or whatever they're called) and see what they say. Thanks!

Last edited:
So @msinger you agree with the way I understand the regulations?...These regs are confusing...this is from Drone Zone

1709500381491.png
I recall when I first got into the hobby...I had a Phantom...because of its weight I registered with FAA and was given a number and was told to use that same for any drones that I had....then I got a Mini 2 when they came out ... and shortly thereafter I got 107....and registered the Mini 2 with its own number which was good for 3 years...then I got the Mini 4...same thing, got its own number and gave the Mini 2 to my nephew, who is strictly recreational and I removed it from my "inventory" on Drone Zone

I don't know why everyone is so up in arms over RID...if you aren't flying where you don't belong.....who cares who wants to know if you are flying?

So @msinger you agree with the way I understand the regulations?
Per the link I shared above, RID is only required (for drones weighing 0.55 lbs or less) when the drone is operated under rules that require registration (Part 107 in this case).

If you do have a remote pilot certificate, then you must decide which rules you're going to follow for each flight. If you (for example) decide that you're always going to fly under recreational rules, then you will never need to use RID even though you hold a remote pilot certificate.

Holding a remote pilot certificate does not automatically force you to fly under Part 107 rules. It just gives you the option to do so.

I personally don't have the problem so I won't be going any further with this because it doesn't directly impact me. You can check the other forum or check with DJI if you are interested in the actual reports.

My only interest is in keeping anecdotes and hearsay evolving into common fears and concerns.

From the real information I've seen and personal experience, random log-outs from DJI accounts is not a common issue. I take the precaution of logging in and checking all updates and the FlySafe database before going into the field.

I'm still wondering whether anyone has actually been away from wifi and cell service for 30 days or more in recent years. I suppose that nuclear sub crews might, but they wouldn't have personal drones on board.

Per the link I shared above, RID is only required (for drones weighing 0.55 lbs or less) when the drone is operated under rules that require registration (Part 107 in this case).

If you do have a remote pilot certificate, then you must decide which rules you're going to follow for each flight. If you (for example) decide that you're always going to fly under recreational rules, then you will never need to use RID even though you hold a remote pilot certificate.

Holding a remote pilot certificate does not automatically force you to fly under Part 107 rules. It just gives you the option to do so.
The way the regulation reads...if you have 107.....all your drones have to be registered individually....and all registered drones require RID......it does not specify that you do not need RID when flying bidirectionally..the way it reads...once you obtain 107, you are committed to registering each drone...whether you are flying under 107 or the recreational exemption. I could be wrong, but I don't see otherwise in the material that is available to the general public on this date.

The way the regulation reads...if you have 107.....all your drones have to be registered individually....and all registered drones require RID
Can you please link the regulation you're referring to (and share the exact quote) so we can all read and discuss the same thing?

Funny how so many are "confused" by the regulations when it has often been said the regulations are absolutely clear which may indeed be the case but it is the people who are subjected to the rules (the pilots) that end up being confused. I think everyone knows what can be done but when it comes to these "edge cases" comes into question at times.

If everyone could understand the problem with the FAA database which is the way it is designed every single RID transmission in the real world cannot be linked to a database registration. There will be details transmitted that when searched in the database will come us "null." As far as I know, the rules don't say "if you transmit, you must be registered." And the opposite is true, too. If you register, you do not have to transmit. In other words, can you choose NO? If you chose NO to standard RID, must you link a valid external RID module in order for the registration to go thru? Even for sub-250? There are recreational pilots with sub-250g drones that register but do not broadcast RID. If that particular drone is found to be registered in the database but when flying, it transmits NOTHING, is that a problem?

This is the definition of confusion. We understand 95% of it because we have the experts here in a small forum. Most of the general flying public does not understand it and unfortunately, the next course of action for them is to "ignore it all."

The way the regulation reads...if you have 107.....all your drones have to be registered individually.
Only the ones you fly under Part 107 must be registered. If you buy a 254 gram drone and fly it recreationally under 44809 exclusively, there's no registration requirement.

To pick that nit even cleaner...if you have 107 ...you have to register all your drones:

View attachment 173114
AND all registered drones require RID....

Part 107 holders are required to register all drones they fly under part 107. There's no requirement to register a sub-250 gram drone flown exclusively under 44809.

Do I need to register my drone and if so, how do I register?​

Federal law requires all drones operated under 14 CFR Part 107 to be registered. The limited statutory exception for recreation requires registration of all aircraft weighing more than .55 pound (250 grams).

Can you please link the regulation you're referring to (and share the exact quote) so we can all read and discuss the same thing?
Take a look at posts # 18 and 28 ...both of those excerpts are from DRONE ZONE...the entity with whom you register...this is from post #18
1709509676911.png
It says each drone you intend to operate....if you fly under 107...it doesn't say anything about just during 107 flights

This next piece is from Post 28...these were both copied from Drone Zone today...note the last sentence...it says 107 pilots must register each individual device...does not say the ones that you would use for recreational use are not included in that requirement.

1709509849173.png

^Mark, it goes on to say "....within their inventory...." which I suspect means every device you plan to "operate" under part 107 which would exclude the devices outside your inventory that are not under part 107 (i.e. recreational).

For example, if you own 6 heavy drones and you plan to fly 2 under part 107 and 4 are recreational, you must have a unique registration number for the 2 drones under part 107 and one common registration number for all the other 4 recreational drones. However, if those 4 recreational drones consist of 1 lightweight drone, then you would need one common registration number for only the 3 recreational drones and the 1 drone could be unregistered (i.e. it does not have to get a unique registration number under part 107).

Take a look at posts # 18 and 28 ...both of those excerpts are from DRONE ZONE...the entity with whom you register...this is from post #18
View attachment 173120
It says each drone you intend to operate....if you fly under 107...it doesn't say anything about just during 107 flights
It says "anyone flying under Part 107." A person with a Part 107 certificate not flying under Part 107 isn't affected if they're flying a drone that doesn't require registration or a drone registered for recreational flying.

The next item seems to suggest that the FAA's text needs to be tightened up a bit. I'd assume that they mean each individual device to be flown under Part 107. All mine are registered individually for Part 107 operation, but it might be worth a call tomorrow to be sure.

(Here's a link to the content on faa.gov if anyone want's the primary source.)

1709509676911.png

This next piece is from Post 28...these were both copied from Drone Zone today...note the last sentence...it says 107 pilots must register each individual device...does not say the ones that you would use for recreational use are not included in that requirement.

As stated here:
  • All drones must be registered, except those that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown under the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations.

• Drones registered under the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations cannot be flown under Part 107.

That means (for example) you could hold a remote pilot certificate, purchase a drone that's less than 250 grams, decide you're only ever going to fly it recreationally, and not register it.

Funny how so many are "confused" by the regulations when it has often been said the regulations are absolutely clear which may indeed be the case but it is the people who are subjected to the rules (the pilots) that end up being confused
Most of the rules are pretty clear if you take the time to carefully read them.

Nearly everyone I've run across that's confused heard the rules from a friend, watched a YouTube video with incorrect information, took a course somewhere and got the wrong information and/or misunderstood it, etc. They didn't take the time to go to the source (the FAA) of the information.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor