Welcome to our Community
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nasty Neighbors

warlock 31

Reactions
My neighbor tried to have me arrested for flying over his property at 150 feet not stopping flying over. He's supposedly a church and he is the minister. This was 930 at night and he said I was scaring his parishioners and there was no one there so he lied to the police. When he called me he told me that police said he had to give me one warning and then he could take care of it himself. I thought wow that's interesting that the police would give him permission to shoot down my mavic. So I called them. Sheriff's Department read the transcript of the conversation. The sheriff did not tell him he could shoot down my drone or do anything to disrupt it unless it had a laser or weapon on it. Which there definitely is not. He said there was no law in Oregon on drones at this time and that he needed to just call me and politely ask me not to fly over his property. Which would have been great. In the phone conversation I told the neighbor that I would go up at least 400 ft to fly over his property he said no do not try it . I'm not trying to piss this guy off but he's really starting to piss me off. This was on Monday and this is Friday I've calmed down considerably. I've decided to go talk to him when is out mowing the lawn or something. I think it's better in person than on the phone. Anyway that's in my excitement for the week

Reactions: Wersh
My neighbor tried to have me arrested for flying over his property at 150 feet not stopping flying over. He's supposedly a church and he is the minister. This was 930 at night and he said I was scaring his parishioners and there was no one there so he lied to the police. When he called me he told me that police said he had to give me one warning and then he could take care of it himself. I thought wow that's interesting that the police would give him permission to shoot down my mavic. So I called them. Sheriff's Department read the transcript of the conversation. The sheriff did not tell him he could shoot down my drone or do anything to disrupt it unless it had a laser or weapon on it. Which there definitely is not. He said there was no law in Oregon on drones at this time and that he needed to just call me and politely ask me not to fly over his property. Which would have been great. In the phone conversation I told the neighbor that I would go up at least 400 ft to fly over his property he said no do not try it . I'm not trying to piss this guy off but he's really starting to piss me off. This was on Monday and this is Friday I've calmed down considerably. I've decided to go talk to him when is out mowing the lawn or something. I think it's better in person than on the phone. Anyway that's in my excitement for the week
Howdy warlock 31, I know it can be tough, sometimes you have to choose your battles. This guy does not sound mentally stable, I would avoid him and his property for no other reason than to save you and the peace officers a headache. It can be frustrating, however the with the limited information you have provided I do not think your neighbor would understand or accept reason or logic.

I would suck it up - apologize if the opportunity presents itself and not fly over his property or anywhere near it. There are plenty of places to fly without risking your bird or putting yourself or family in danger from a mentally unstable and idiotic neighbor.

Reactions: dewster
I'm not very sympathetic here because I don't think anyone should have to sit and have a drone hovering over their yard for any length of time. It can be very nerve wracking to people. Doing it over and over to make a point is unproductive. Find other places to explore.

Just my two cents

Reactions: danman999
I would invite him over to watch you do a flight. Maybe even let him try it.
Take it to 400 feet and show him the screen. Once he sees how small things look and that you cant spy from there he might be ok.
It's usually the lack of knowledge that causes people to freak. They see the bad rep on the news and don't know the truth about the average drone flight.

400 feet and sport mode you will be gone before he knows it. Lol

I would invite him over to watch you do a flight. Maybe even let him try it.
Take it to 400 feet and show him the screen. Once he sees how small things look and that you cant spy from there he might be ok.
It's usually the lack of knowledge that causes people to freak. They see the bad rep on the news and don't know the truth about the average drone flight.
When I do talk to him I am going to invite him over to see the drone fly and some of the footage. The problem is none of the neighbors like him at all. We have been here for 17 years. one property. the owners borders his property has been there for 30 years the other 35 years the one across the street from him 28 years the guy's been here for 2 years and thinks he runs the area. And everyone hates him. There has been other issues with several people. And by the way I was not hovering over his property I crossed it. But of course over my property 100 feet I can see everything. I am new to droning but will not go into somebody's backyard or hover over somebody's house. I don't do anything to anybody else that would piss me off if it was done to me. It's common sense. I bought the mavic to take boat videos at the lake. But this thing is so much fun at the beach and in the mountains. I kind of got hooked. I practice with the camera settings at home. I'm going to start playing with the flight modes.

Reactions: Bunny Too
OK, I take back what I said. Sounds like you just scored yourself a bad neighbor, for which you have my sympathy. Enjoy your life and try to ignore him - sounds from what you say like the cops are getting tired of him too.

Reactions: matth1000
Great input from a lot of people and I wish you all the best. I think you're on the right path of trying to sit down man to man, face to face in order to try and work our an agreed upon solution. Never flying near/over his house again would not be an option for me. From what you said, you were flying over it on path to another spot. If you're not directly overhead filming him and intentionally disrupting him, then no chance I give in to a neighbor, let alone a new with a history like that. People like that thrive though intimidation and will continue until someone steps up to them. He's a bully and it's as simple as that. Now of course I don't know your personal situation and it might be better to turn another cheek but for me personally, no way. I don't stop carrying in the neighborhood because my neighbors are anti-gun and I'm sure as heck not going to stop flying over their home at 150ft either. If he doesn't except a flight over at 300+ ft... this will only continue and he'll find something else.

Good luck as hopefully you have more of a filter than me! hahahaha

Lol is this even real life? Fly your bird and don't worry about nut cases. You aren't doing anything illegal.

Reactions: hookalakupua
Lol is this even real life? Fly your bird and don't worry about nut cases. You aren't doing anything illegal.
Exactly!!!!! Imagine what would happen if we all acted like our neighbors wanted! No church meetings for him and no black bbq's for me!!! hahaha

Reactions: snipe

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18